Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2017-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Bad meat from a rutting caribou bull is all about massive amounts of hormones spreading throughout his body. The amount of hormones are triggered differently for each individual animal. As one would imagine, a big herd bull will probably be effected more so than say a satellite bull. For some odd reason just the normal biology of the caribou causes them to be more sensitive to this than most other animals. I've killed caribou bulls during mid Sept. and the meat was just fine.

But for the record, I've had more than a couple guys tell me they've had some pretty rutty moose meat as well. I shot a big bull moose once that was still wet from just being in his waller, and that bull was pretty strong tasting as well. Some bulls drink a lot more cow moose urine than others. And when they stop eating their livers don't filter the blood when in rut like they normally would. Here again though, each bull will be different...
    Is this a scientific fact or.......

I'm pretty sure any animal that's liver stops filtering it's blood would be dead in a very short time.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Best caribou I've ever had was from jan/feb time frame........
    Same here, and tgere was no question about it. The entire family agreed about it. I credited that with the fact that it was about zero degrees and the meat cooled super fast, but it was also from a herd that I rarely hunt.

Ours were from the nelchina herd and we left them whole for several hours before we skinned them, so I'd say they cooled a bit slower with their hide on. But man...meat was fantastic.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The winter caribou in our winter experience were near Naknek. We dropped four bulls, and it was cold enough for us to be concerned about skinning them with frozen hides, so we got right to work on them and had all four skinned and bagged in short order. The ambient temp was zero to 5 degrees, and there was a slight breeze.

They were so tasty that it motivated me to call an ADFG biologist to ask if different caribou from different herds taste different. Upon reflection, that is really a rather foolish question, but the biologist told me that many people believe it to be so. I now believe that it was due to post-kill processing conditions and the time of year that the caribou were harvested.

I was also impressed with the blowfly larve in the caribou's hide. In January, they are much larger and more developed than in fall. The larve did not burrow into the meat. They were all in the fat of the hide.

Took a flight around parts of 13A today...

caribou july 2017.jpg

Man caribou are ugly....
    Master guide 212

Took a long drive-about recently. The bugs weren't bad everywhere I went. It makes me wonder if that means the caribou are down below 5,000' of elevation.

Quote Originally Posted by RTaylor View Post
    Took a long drive-about recently. The bugs weren't bad everywhere I went. It makes me wonder if that means the caribou are down below 5,000' of elevation.
    They'll be wherever you happen to see them.

Any word on the size of the herd and if the legal animal will be any caribou or any bull? Also, where is the present location of the herd? I'm assuming status quo, meaning the main herd is in the Talkeetna Mountains on the Western side of Unit 13.

How's the highway from Paxson to about mile about mile fifty? I plan on driving in that way with my travel trailer.

Road is great, caribou everywhere, yetis are also pretty common around tangle lakes area
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

We love this area and I myself love the Non Motorized Clearwater Creek Controlled use area because NO motorized hunting is allowed. Just in case anyone with a motorized hunting vehicle thinks is ok to drive into the area to check for game. Read this right out of the regulations. CCCUA "is closed to the use of motorized vehicles for hunting, including transportation of hunters, their hunting gear, and/or parts of game. This includes the Maclaren Summit Trail within the Clearwater Creek Controlled Use Area. Except you may use motorized vehicles for hunting brown/grizzly bears, wolves, and small game from Mar 15-June 30th.Frustrating how much motorized hunting I saw in there last year. Happy hunting to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Francomd View Post
    We love this area and I myself love the Non Motorized Clearwater Creek Controlled use area because NO motorized hunting is allowed. Just in case anyone with a motorized hunting vehicle thinks is ok to drive into the area to check for game. Read this right out of the regulations. CCCUA "is closed to the use of motorized vehicles for hunting, including transportation of hunters, their hunting gear, and/or parts of game. This includes the Maclaren Summit Trail within the Clearwater Creek Controlled Use Area. Except you may use motorized vehicles for hunting brown/grizzly bears, wolves, and small game from Mar 15-June 30th.Frustrating how much motorized hunting I saw in there last year. Happy hunting to all!
    But folks that aren't hunting can drive in there all they want. I'd be curious whose gonna be the one saying someone is hunting or isn't hunting, but I'll bet is everyone that's not on something motorized.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Road is great, caribou everywhere, yetis are also pretty common around tangle lakes area
    Saw a Yeti on some brownbear carcasses close to Alpine. Tried to get a shot but a wolf jumped in the way.

Back to the rut discussion......I popped a cow the end of last first season and it was the best tasting bou we have ever had. Now the wife wants me to only shoot cows. I will during rut for sure. Most guys were still popping bulls around me. The game processor I went to turned back many rut bulls so keep that in mind also. Additionally the Yetis don't rut until mid-Oct. Recommend not to wear white camo then. They are not that picky.....from what I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Francomd View Post
    Happens ALL the time. Hunter's claiming they aren't hunting and driving the road. Can't prove it either way. If you see someone driving in, remind them it's non-motorized.

It's only non motorized for hunters. Lots of active mining in that country driving around.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth Hunter View Post
    Now the wife wants me to only shoot cows.
    And cheaper on the taxidermy.

Sure, I'm fully aware of the mining activity. But when I see groups of four wheelers driving up there all with rifles mounted glassing with binoculars its hard not to believe they are not hunting. Or. hearing hunters down on the road saying they want to get away from the crowds to they think its ok to just drive into the CCCUA. I will be taking photos this year and sending to ADFG and Troopers.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    It's only non motorized for hunters. Lots of active mining in that country driving around.

You really need to read the legal definition of hunting per F&G regulation before accusing people .

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast