Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Unit 13 Caribou Thread (2017-2018)

Those were most likely shot last March when they were bunched up on the highway.

fyi, Oscar Lake trail will still be open, but Maclaren Summit trail will be closed to all motorized access when the hunting season starts.

Nelchina caribou regs require the ribs to be removed from the field on the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    Nelchina caribou regs require the ribs to be removed from the field on the bone.
    Only prior to Oct. 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read my tag and saw that. Thanks.

According to Frank, they had to abort the survey when they tried. Either the caribou bolted or clouds kept coming in so they got very limited photographs of them. I might come down to the wire again for them to issue their quota and assessment of he herd.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    That's what the saw is for. Not like the ribcage is that heavy.

This rib cage was 50 yds off the highway.

Winter hunt, probably no saw so they boned out the ribs. OR possible shoot thru and animal died of wounds later, possible wolf kill as well. Plenty of ways to die on the Denali hwy. found a caribou half eaten by wolves this spring, a grizzly killed a cow moose in the road one day as well last spring. I found a third of a caribou in the bushes of a pull off where everyone takes their craps couple years back and called to let the troopers know. That one had a rib cage too.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Are there any reports that support the rumor that the Nelchina and Delta Yeti herds merged into a Super Herd and are decimating the caribou south of the Tangle Lakes area? Very troubling if its true!

I heard most of the yeti activity has drifted towards klutina and all the land AHTNA is fighting for. It will ruin my people's traditional subsistence yeti harvest!!!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I heard most of the yeti activity has drifted towards klutina and all the land AHTNA is fighting for. It will ruin my people's traditional subsistence yeti harvest!!!

Noooooooo !!! Not in my backyard!!!

I know caribou start going into rut sometime in Septmber or October but cant remember when if I hunt september 15-20 would they be in the rut already
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I know caribou start going into rut sometime in September or October but cant remember when caribou I hunt september 15-20 would they be in the rut already
    Not wanting to sounds like a smart *****. When carribou start going into rut depends on your definition of "rut".
    As far as eatable meats to be safe I would only shoot a medium size bull or a cow around sept 15-20.

Something i have never understood as i have never shot a bull during the rut (only august and march). why does the meat taste bad? ive had moose while in rut and cannot tell a difference, what makes the caribou uneatable? Thanks

I spotted this old one near Delta. He appeared to be headed south. He is a scraper, if you look closely he has lost his right hand. Not sure if someone shot it off or he got in a fight with another Yeti. Lol Hopefully the picture will load.
    good luck out there.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve_O; 07-19-2017 at 16:06. Reason: picture

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I know caribou start going into rut sometime in Septmber or October but cant remember when if I hunt september 15-20 would they be in the rut already

Caribou get "Rutty" at different times across the state and even in a single herd. An elder up in the Village of Noatak put it to me this way and it has always stuck.

Stop hunting when the river starts to freeze all the way across. Start hunting again when the river is safe for your Sno-Go to travel up the river again. Layman terms...Stop hunting by the first week in October and get after them the first week in November!

Never shot a rutty bull and I will bet I have dropped 35-40 of them critters over the years!

By the way that was my best Inupiaq drawl.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Unit 23, 25 & 26
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

I shot a fairly large bull around Halloween last year that tastes great. I won't lie. I was a bit nervous. But I am as curious as a previous poster. Why is it just caribou that taste like garbage during the rut? I grew up shooting mule deer and elk in the rut and they taste fine. Blacktails here in Alaska taste fine. Moose taste fine. What gives?

Bad meat from a rutting caribou bull is all about massive amounts of hormones spreading throughout his body. The amount of hormones are triggered differently for each individual animal. As one would imagine, a big herd bull will probably be effected more so than say a satellite bull. For some odd reason just the normal biology of the caribou causes them to be more sensitive to this than most other animals. I've killed caribou bulls during mid Sept. and the meat was just fine.

But for the record, I've had more than a couple guys tell me they've had some pretty rutty moose meat as well. I shot a big bull moose once that was still wet from just being in his waller, and that bull was pretty strong tasting as well. Some bulls drink a lot more cow moose urine than others. And when they stop eating their livers don't filter the blood when in rut like they normally would. Here again though, each bull will be different...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Bad meat from a rutting caribou bull is all about massive amounts of hormones spreading throughout his body. The amount of hormones are triggered differently for each individual animal. As one would imagine, a big herd bull will probably be effected more so than say a satellite bull. For some odd reason just the normal biology of the caribou causes them to be more sensitive to this than most other animals. I've killed caribou bulls during mid Sept. and the meat was just fine.

But for the record, I've had more than a couple guys tell me they've had some pretty rutty moose meat as well. I shot a big bull moose once that was still wet from just being in his waller, and that bull was pretty strong tasting as well. Some bulls drink a lot more cow moose urine than others. And when they stop eating their livers don't filter the blood when in rut like they normally would. Here again though, each bull will be different...
    I think another huge factor that changes the meat taste during the rut is the change in behavior. Both bull moose and caribou sleep less, are more physically active, for the most part stop eating and drink less water. If you had to eat me, I'm pretty sure I would taste better after a day at the office rather than after a weekend fishing where I stay up 20 hours a day and get dehydrated. I've never shot a caribou past September 10th, but I've heard a lot of guys say that if you shoot a caribou who isn't acting like he's in rut, there's a good chance he wont taste so much like he's in the rut. I don't think the hormone levels contribute as much to the taste as them running themselves ragged.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Best caribou I've ever had was from jan/feb time frame. But caribou meat has its own flavor even when it's not "bad" so it may not take much to push them
    Over the edge. Deer is the same way. Already has a deer flavor....little rutty really makes them stand out!
    Master guide 212

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast