Thread: Halibut rig idea, comments welcomed

Default Halibut rig idea, comments welcomed

Here's an idea I came up with based on a lure I saw online. The difference is the 1/4" nipple provides more area for scent. It being steel makes it less likely to get trashed by the bite. Here's how it works:

Take a 1/4" nipple 3" long, drill hole thru 2 caps run line thru one cap, the nipple, and another cap. Screw cap on the hook end to the nipple, stuff a peice of sponge soaked in your favorite scent in the nipple and screw the cap on the swivel end to the nipple. Attach your squid to the end and bait up.

Do you think this will work? Is there a better way to accomplish this? Is it worth the trouble?

Comments welcome....

Happy Fishin!!!

I looks good to me. Go give it a try and you should find out if it a hit with the halibut
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Nipple?

When you say "nipple" are you referring to an iron pipe nipple?
    In effect a "second weight" on the hook's dropper leader?

If so, I would probably put it onto the other line with the weight, rather than on the hook's dropper. On the dropper such a heavy device might severely limit essential fish-attracting action of the lure or bait's movements.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dieseldan View Post
    When you say "nipple" are you referring to an iron pipe nipple?
    In effect a "second weight" on the hook's dropper leader?

Dan
    Yea, iron is what I had mind. I considered pvc until I realized the caps on pvc are glued on which would make it one time use.

You're right about putting it on the weight line instead. My original plan was to put a bobber on the line but realized the bouancy of the bobber would have to match the weight on the line and scrapped it.

That being the case, the scent holder wouldn't have to be quiet as durable so now I need to think of a lighter material

If you put it on the weight end, you could use PVC and just "force the end caps on the pipe. This way you won't have to worry about rust.

Default Mustad scent dispenser

Mustad makes a scent "capsule" that is used to deliver thier product. It has an adjustable dial on top that allows the scent to escape. I will get more info and hopefully post a link or pic for you as it works very well. I use it when halibut fishing and put it on a snap swivel attached to the top of my rigging. This allows the scent to disperse 5 or 6 feet off the bottom and also keeps it from getting beat up on the bottom w/the weight. I have been using the same "capsules" for a few years in a row and they are very durable, plus the adjustability of the openings is nice depending on how much water is moving down deep. Again, I will try to get some more info posted soon.
    BK

Default How about using a plastic jar?

Instead of iron or PVC pipe one could use a screw-top plastic jar - one of the many different sizes and shapes that hold the food sold in the grocery stores. Examples that cometo mind are small spice jars, mid-sized jam jars, and larger ones like peanut butter jars.

Drill a hole through the jar's top and bottom (or just the lid), thread through a nylon or dacron dropper line with a stopper or a crimped ferrule to keep the jar on the end of the line.
    Unscrew the lid and add your scented material, which will permeate through holes that have been burned, drilled, or punched through the jar's sides. One could even fill the jar with an oily chum as an attractant close to the hook. Why not drop the sinker into the jar, too (or tie it to the end of the dropper inside of the jar's lid) - so this dropper does double duty, including rattling an audible sound inside the jar (like the rattle fresh water lures) as you jig the rod up and down?

For chum one might grind up herring or fish scraps - or even use items found in the grocery store such as tuna cat food or canned mackeral. Or one could purchase a commercial chum product.

The statement was made earlier that unglued PVC pipe caps might come off. Attach a rubber band or a spring between wire, mono,or string loops inside of each end cap in a manner that the tension holds them in place - yet the caps can easily be pulled off to replace the attractant inside the pipe section.

Dan

Its not worth the trouble. You can buy them for pennies. Well not really for pennies, but they are cheap. Are you in Anchorage? I have some, if you would like a couple shoot me an email. Lipsnatcher@ak.net
    Leon

Default Halibut scents

How about attaching a plastic bait cup used for shrimp pots to the dropper above your weight. You could fill the cup with herring or your favorite bait. That would leave a great scent trail. I have a couple of buddies that desperse a gut bomb.
    Anyone ever tried the glow sticks attached to your line above the snap swivel for added attraction?

Default halibut rigging

Heres what i do for my halibut rigging. go but yourself a spool of ganion line from B&J's. The thick 1/8 inch commercial stuff. $10.00 for a huge spool. Stuff will last ya 10 years. Cut sections about 4ft. in length depending on your pole length. Put an overhand knot in each end. Put a large swivel on one end and run your line through it. Run a large corksrew swivel on your pole line. On the other end of your ganion line run your size 16 0r 18 hook through the eye of the circle hook. Soak the leader you just made in herring oil. Leaves a great slick and will last forever. Its cheap, works great. enjoy!

I like your idea better. Very simple, effective and cheap. Thanks for the tip.

Happy Fishin.....

Quote Originally Posted by kirktabasco1 View Post
    Heres what i do for my halibut rigging. go but yourself a spool of ganion line from B&J's. The thick 1/8 inch commercial stuff. $10.00 for a huge spool. Stuff will last ya 10 years. Cut sections about 4ft. in length depending on your pole length. Put an overhand knot in each end. Put a large swivel on one end and run your line through it. Run a large corksrew swivel on your pole line. On the other end of your ganion line run your size 16 0r 18 hook through the eye of the circle hook. Soak the leader you just made in herring oil. Leaves a great slick and will last forever. Its cheap, works great. enjoy!

Default Here is a rig I make.

Didn't have a 3 way here that I also make. Can't keep the fish off these. From all species of rock fish to even small chickens. Of course the big halibut like them too. Have made some B-2 squid rigs too. Then put the oil absorbant material up in side to hold the herring oil. But use this one pictured with a nice chunk of herring, half of a very large one. The three way I make has a #4 swivel, #4 cork screw, and a # 2 cork screw for the lead. All assembled on a heavy ring. Works flawlessly.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 07-30-2007 at 19:13.

Default Ganion Line

I'm not familiar with ganion line. What does ganion line look like? Is it a type of fishing line? Does sporting goods stores carry it or is a specialty item.

Quote Originally Posted by buttlover View Post
    I like your idea better. Very simple, effective and cheap. Thanks for the tip.

Happy Fishin.....

Thumbs up

Ganion line ( I don't think I'm spelling it right ) is a nylon line that comes in various thicknesses that commercial halibut longliners use. That use a snap hook on one end and a hook on the other. When they let go of their long line for a set they just snap a baited hook on the line and continue reeling out the line and snapping hooks on it until their whole line pays out. You can pick up the ganion line at B&J's. Enjoy.

Default I agree

the easiest and cheapest way to catch halibut in the Gangion setup - you can make a whole Hook Setup for under 2 bux - and it catches as much fish as any high dollar setup or fancy rig you can make.

I dont like mono leader becuase I've had powerpro cut right through that on fish when the mono and Powerprop get tangled up. Also I like to grab hold of the leader when releasing the smaller fish, and the gangion has a good grip

I've used one gangion setup for over 5 years on that same rod.

The only diff is i using the slip weight on the actual gangion, not on the pole line - so the slip wieght can only move about 12 inches - a simple overhand knot in the middle of the gangion handles it like kirk said.