Thread: Willow Creek Redgate section update

Default Willow Creek Redgate section update

For those of you who do not know the gate has been locked because of vandals. The owner is a kind person though and came up with a remedy. He now charges 40.00 per year for a key, or 10.00 a day, which is very fair. You can also rent the cabin for 120.00 per night and get many Guardrail or RG runs in, or just fish and chill out in a nice place. See James at Susitna Sled and Kayak to get a key or more info.

The RG section is totally free of wood, GR is looking good too. Anything over 600cfs is enough to get a raft down RG, there are a couple of good fishing holes between the rapids too. There are two shallow sections you may have to drag a raft through at lower water, super easy, but the rest is good. Wave train is a bit rocky behind the giant boulder since the 2012 flood, so newbies may want to take a peek before committing if your taking a raft. Anything over 900cfs is good splashy fun.

Anyway, we almost lost a great training ground for new boaters to learn how to boat some safe whitewater, I was almost sick when this first came up last year. Enjoy, this is a great place to get your new boat wet, and the GR is a super intermediate run for those who like a bit more of a thrill.

Thanks for the update Mark. I first ran those two sections R2 last year in a friend's 12' SB. I think I'll leave the Guardrail section for the kayakers and pack rafters from now on but the Red Gate section was sure fun. As Mark pointed out, even the Red Gate section is class III and you should be appropriately skilled and equipped.

which section are you referring too in respect to Redgate and GR section, below Shirley town bridge? I floated this many times last year from the highway down or Shirley town to the highway bridge. Just trying to gauge which section you are reffering too. I plan on floating sunday from the highway down.

The RG section ends at the Shirley Town bridge, and starts at the red gate a few more miles up the road. You are talking about the Deneke section, we would rate that I-II-, RG, II-III-, GR III-IV-. The GR section starts about mile 8.8 where the long guard rail runs along the creek side of the road. There is a trail about in the middle of the GR that leads to the creek.