Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doubled up last night

Default Doubled up last night

My hunting partner and I connected last night. He took a beautiful blond boar and 9 hours later I took a nice boar as well. Same station. The kid put in a lot of work this season learning the ins and outs of baiting and field care. Couldnt be happier for him to take such a unique looking grizz.
    jeremiah grizz.jpgryan grizz.jpg

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Beautiful bears. Saving a bunch of moose, appreciate it.

BK
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

So awesome! Get em hooked young!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    So awesome! Get em hooked young!

Oh He is hooked for life. Our families are processing all day today and he is already talking about heading back up this week to put the hurt on a few big blackies we have working the station.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Lotta bear hugging going on there!! That's awesome congrats guys! Satisfying to see all that work pay off!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

yah we just finished processing both bears. We salvaged everything from front/rear quarters to straps. cooked up 1 of the straps tonight and it was stellar. We ended up doing Italian sausage, bacon jalapeno cheddar hickory burgers and some straight run burger. The BJCH burger and Italian sausage turned out amazing as well (cooked up some of each to taste test). For those who only salvage hides/skull on spring grizz you are missing out. Granted we are very anal when processing and if it has a hint of smell it gets tossed into the discard pile. I think total we had about 10lbs of discard out of 2 bears and managed to put a few hundred pounds of meat into the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by ProHunterAK View Post
    yah we just finished processing both bears. We salvaged everything from front/rear quarters to straps. cooked up 1 of the straps tonight and it was stellar. We ended up doing Italian sausage, bacon jalapeno cheddar hickory burgers and some straight run burger. The BJCH burger and Italian sausage turned out amazing as well (cooked up some of each to taste test). For those who only salvage hides/skull on spring grizz you are missing out. Granted we are very anal when processing and if it has a hint of smell it gets tossed into the discard pile. I think total we had about 10lbs of discard out of 2 bears and managed to put a few hundred pounds of meat into the freezer.
    Yup!, still eating my dads giant brown bear from last spring. Pioneer meats in wasilla made amazing slim jims, hot dogs and polish!

What do your bears smell like? Man the grizz where I'm at smell nasty!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    What do your bears smell like? Man the grizz where I'm at smell nasty!!!
    Each year varies. Last year the 1 of the 2 was a little on the smelly side but we still managed to to salvage a solid amount of meat off him the 2nd (sow) was a bit smaller (mid 7s) and was 100% fine. This year both bears were mid 7s (boars) and had ZERO smell to them. The big thing is knocking them down before they push to the fish. I also think a lot has to do with food sources. Both grizz were full of greens and bait so I am sure that played a big part. I should drop a few packages off to ya for you to give a test brwn. Just let me know next time you pass by willow.

What's Jeremiah shooting? Looks like a left handed bolt action. I'm a southpaw too. A couple nice grizzlies, Conglads.

He was shooting my Montana Firearms 338WM (lefty) in photo is my Tikka T3 30.06 (lefty). Hes a not a southpaw but has no rifle of his own so we brought both (06 for blackies 338 for grizz).

Sound like a 300 Win Mag would make a great Christmas present !!

ill relay that to his dad haha.. last year his dad took a 9' with me on his birthday. Our families have hunted and shared meat for 2 years. Last dec Jeremiah went with me on the steese bou hunt in Dec and got his 1st bou hopefully this year his dad can get off work so he can tag along and share the excitement.

congratulations!
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Heading back out shortly to try and pull a Hat Trick. We will see this time the plans are to bring his little brother out and his dad and see if we can seal the deal on a triple. We have had that type of luck in the past so if the cards pan out a few more smiles will be added to this thread. So far the season count is 1 blackie (on my wife and I's anniversary 2 weeks ago) and double last weekend on to bigger moose eaters. I never did post up about the blackie but I will say it ended with a 7-10 ft finishing shot with the 45 in thick brush. It amazed me that the blackie made it that far in with a hole the size of a golfball in its shoulder plus non existent lungs.
    Attachment 93574

Took Jeremiahs little brother out last night as he has been itching to go hunting. So off we went into the land of the midnight sun to try and connect the dots on a bear of any color. Justin (Jeremiah and Jed's dad) and I had talked when our families were processing the last batch of moose munchers about how to get Jed out in the safest manor as Jed has an insulin pump so we had to figure out logistics (easy part) and then the snack requirements in case he got low on blood sugar. So we talked about it last weekend when we were grinding up burgers and sausage and agreed that the trip was doable and planned for this weekend to do an overnight trip. We rolled into the station after an hour ride in and both barrels were licked clean of 500lbs of bait set out last weekend. I walk up and pull the card reader and see that the site is now getting overrun with browns and grizz. Must bears on the camera were between 6-7ft with 1 nice brownie that has been on the watch list for 2 years (we call him Goliath). Bears were hitting steadily even with zero bait in the barrels (thank god for sweet feed as it forces the bears to eat the smaller grains over time rather than just devour the larger kibble). We set up camp about 230 and sat in our lawn chairs preparing for an overnighter. After a few hours dealing with shifting winds and lots of skeeters Jed looked to me and said "how long until the bears show up". I told him we should start seeing the wilderness come to life around 9pm and by 11pm the club should be standing room only. At 9 our first visitor arrived but with tough winds blowing directly at the barrel we had to play things cool and let nature run its course. The bear was pretty skittish coming in and quickly realized we were 138 yards away at camp. At this time Jed (seeing his first actual bear) was shaking like a leaf from the adrenaline and excitement. I looked at him and said not to worry because bears are like raccoons and when food is involved they will always return. 1130 rolled around and yogi returned followed by his friend boo boo whom Yogi was not very happy about. We watched him walk back in huffing and puffing as another boar was following him into the bait. Jed shouldered my 338WM and lined the cross hairs on the shoulder. The peaceful silence awoke with the crack of the rifle sending a 250grain TSX down range. Justin and I maneuvered across the clearing from camp to the barrel and quickly tracked the downed bear. We returned to load Jed up into the machine and recover the bear to start the field care process. Jed insisted on helping load, unload, skin and quarter his first big game animal soaking up the experience like a sponge. Couldnt be happier with the outcome even though the bear wasn't a "monster" it was still Jed's first bear and will help fill our families freezers. The bear was a 6' boar with some skull oddities (eye socket injury that had never fully healed properly). On the ride out we encountered a few bull moose that seemed to thank us as we drove past, for helping take out a few meat eaters from the food chain. 4 bears in 2 weeks and full freezers are always a great sight to see. I am sure Justin and I's wives are about tired of these "family meat processing" days. Justin couldnt be happier to have a notched tag due to the fine shooting of his son. Now comes the planning of the next trip in and who from each family will be joining me for a weekend in the woods. Justins 16 year old daughter has been wanting a bear as has my 12 year old daughter. Decisions Decisions (and sibling rivalry will soon ensue over whos bears are bigger lol.
    Attachment 93590

Cool story! My 10 year old son shot his first black bear this spring. His brother who is 12 got one the next weekend. They are already getting after each other over who's was bigger!

great write up! pic didn't show
    Way to get the young'uns involved!

Yah i will try to post the photos a different way now

Dang nice bears!
    Congrats to you all.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast