Thread: chitina charters

Default chitina charters

I am heading down to chitina next week. would like to know what charter are operating down there this year and their contact numbers. Thanks for the info.

Rosen

Default chitina charters

also, where are they launching from?

Default Chitina Charters

Hi, Mark Hem and Sam McSomething are running charters, more or less combined. They are not running at all on Sundays, and I talked with Mark Saturday and he said they would be Chartering till at least Aug. 18th. That might change, I'd guess, but that's the plan now.
    They are located at O'Brien Creek area at the river(Copper) and upstream at the foot on the big hill overlooking O'Brien Creek that you drive down to drop in to the O'Brien Creek parking area,ect.
    Mark's number, recording only, gives current dipping conditions ect. is 823-2200.
    No reservations, first come, first serve. Mark said they were not able to get everyone out who were waiting in line on Saturday morning (I think they charter people out from 6am to 9pm, more or less)
    Also talked with a guy in Delta on the way back to Fairbanks from Chitina today('How'da do?, ect.' when they see dipnets and coolers), who said Mark refused to take him out when he was down there this summer as it was so slow. That guy thought that was pretty cool. Would be easy to keep charging the $90 and taking people out but Mark wouldn't. and hasten to add while it can be lots of salmon one minute it can change in a moment to the fish not moving so there is never any certain dipping but Mark's tries to take people only out when he thinks it's worth their effort and money.

also a guy who does chartering from a boat, that is you dip from his boat.
    here's his web page, www.captainkimscharters.com
    Some where here under dipnetting is someones experience with him, do remember it was positive. Try going thru posts going back a month or so, or use the search feature here.
    good luck!
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default chitina charters

Thank you Paul.

How big is the parking area down at O'Brien creek? What if it is full? Can you park along the way before the drop out to O'Brien creek?

Default O'Brien Parking

There is a good amount of parking at O'Brien Creek, when we got there Sat. morning 6am of so there were a few spots available. There are barricades marking where the Private land owners(Native Corps) claim their land(somewhat under contention but for now more or less acknowledged/respected) and they want you to pay $10 or something to park on their side of the barricades. There is a drop box but I didn't see any forms to file out there so they might have just let that slide(or it doesn't come out as profit to keep up the enforcement of it) Sunday morning there were lots of cars on the private land but don't know if folks were bothering to pay. I can't imagine both the State land at O'Brien Creek and all the private land being full of cars, maybe on the July 4th weekend.
    We parked up above at the top of the hill over looking O'Brien Creek(had a trailer and there were no double spots at O'Brien Creek) and this year DOT has widened 3 or so areas before O'Brien Creek allowing for parking/camping.
    Thing to do would be to drive down to O'Brien Creek, find where they charter(biggish boats, Mark's has reddish canvas roof cover, Sam's is green) get in line, or if no line yet, start one right near the boats. If you're alone, unload your stuff and find a parking spot, then go back and sit in line. Not real sure how the 'rules' are for the line. Last year I walked down to the line and some people had just dumped all there stuff there and then gone back to their rig and went to sleep. People had moved their stuff back and moved themselves forward.
    Mark supplies buckets to haul the fish out of where you fish and back to O'Brien Creek, though it's a fair distance to O'Brien Creek itself(that is dragging 30 fish)
    Not sure if he has a four wheeler which will move the fish over for his customers. And he has a fish cleaning station right at O'Brien Creek, with 'running' H20 and nice cleaning/filleting counters. It's a nominal charge or you could just clean them at the Creek right there. They might even fillet/clean them for you for a price, but they do the quick fillets not the "butterfly" fillets where you get the bellies. Maybe they would do the "butterfly" fillets at more of a price.
    good luck!
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Default Proxys

I noticed that Hem No Longer accepts Proxys. Is he talking about on the same trip? If I have my yearly limit, Will he take me the next day to fill a proxy? It is un clear to me as on the recording he just says "We no longer accept Proxys".

Go this sunday and fill a 10 fish EO, then stay until monday and fill a second EO (Emergency Order). 20 More fish

Default a little peaved

The whole situation at O'Brein creek is a fantastic Goat Rope.

And our old party buddy Mark Hem, and a couple of his fat Alaskan bread buddies, saw fit to give us crap about our fish in the dirt, right after a Brown Shirt AST check, and we had already paying to use his cleaning table, (which is nicely set up by the way) ..ya talk about adding insult to injury. How about pinching those two Asian dudes that were with out even their permit, much less a lisc.

Hey, Newsflash. How about The local Native Corp, Hem's, Alaska DOT, and the Chitna Dipnetters Assoc. Get together and get this whole gig ironed out. Oh, wait that would take some COOPERATION!!!

Untill then, it is one more Alaskan Boondoggle gig I will just take a big PASS on.