Thread: Magazine spring loss. To fully load or not to....

Default Magazine spring loss. To fully load or not to....

Just curious to know who here fully loads their magazines, and who fears that by doing so, will lose tension in the spring?

I keep mine fully loaded, and have never noticed any loss of spring tension, causing my handgun to malfunction.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default Springing into action...

A good question.

Way back when, when everybody either carried a revolver or a 1911, there was always some speculation about the spring taking a set when keeping the magazine loaded on the 1911. Some gunwriters even spoke of rotating you magazines regularly and "exercising" the springs often. Well I would say there is good reason to do that but not because of the spring, just to make sure everything still works and you can use it.

I used to keep a fully loaded, seven down and one in the pipe, 1911 45 in the freezer at home. Yeah, I know you think I'm nut's, no one would look there, and bad guys wouldn't suspect a gun in your hand when you go for ice. But anyway. I have left this gun in this condition for a solid six months at a time and have taken it out when I get home and shoot the full magazine through it at about zero F. It worked fine.

I have always had this fear that if I keep the mags fully loaded for a long period of time they would not work. That has never happened but I load the mag full then load off the top to chamber, lock it and leave it. I have one here that has been in that condition for about two months and I'll bet it works.

I have bought several semi autos that were loaded, yeah really, usually from an estate after the owner took that last journey. I remember guns like a P-35 Browning, a 1911 or two, a Walther P-38, a Walther PPK and a Browning 1900 pistol. Some looked as if they had not been touched in twenty years with corroded ammo and in the case of the 1900, probably 40 years. Only the 1900 32 acp had a flat spring, I mean a fizzled spring. All the others were good. Some were yucked up inside and out with coagulated oil and I couldn't cycle the slide, but no springs were set.

I'm going to say it would take a long, long, long, looooong, long time for a magazine to take a set. (Loose it's snap.)
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Fairbanksan in Aleutian Hell

I keep 6 Glock mags fully loaded 24/7. They always work come training or qual time. I also keep one BHP mag loaded at home, an AR mag that's at least partially loaded, and of course a couple shotguns.

Springs tend to wear out more from work rather than just keeping them under tension.

There was a day when springs might take a set, but the modern chrome-silicon will work just fine.
    Now what ?

Default full load test

Quit that test after 15 years.

Kept 10 "riot" mags fully loaded for beretta 92f.

Shot the mags except 1 every year on first work day of the new year.

Kept the 1 mag fully loaded with 15 rounds and unused for 10 years straight.

No malfunctions of any kind, they always worked even though they lost some poundage.

The 1 mag that went 10 years fully loaded worked like a champ too.

Quit testing them after 15 years since my work area was filling up with other projects.

Replace your springs every 15-20 years and don't worry about it. lol