Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great day dipping!!!

Default Great day dipping!!!

Got on the water today, went well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We went to Chitina for the opening. I would have been better off using your method! LOL

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are pathetic! 😁😁😁😁👍👍👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Priceless...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've read a lot about this "dipping" of which you speak and visualized something quite different. I think i'll have to try your method. One question... i've read about using black nets or clear nets in your dipping net. I see you are using a bluish green net. How was your success?
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

It was a slow day, the commercial guys had been out all night and that combined with a pretty weak tide didn't do me any favors.
    Master guide 212

HAHA well done!!!

You need to get into a back-eddy. No way you can get fish with the net going downstream. I hope you have a registration for that chair and dingy.

It's a gill net, always fished it that way with great success. I chartered the dingy....it's a drop off kinda deal similar to the Chitina.
    Master guide 212

Jake, it looks like you are having waaaay to much fun this year.

When you're done chartering that dingy, I'd like to rent it out. I can see myself floating the canyon at Chitina in that bad boy.

From my experience, the heavy black nets do just fine on the Copper River, which is very silty, but are virtually worthless on the Kenai, or Kasilof. Two factors are involved here, 1. the black, heavy duty landing type nets can be seen in the clearer waters of the Kenai and Kasilof, and 2., they are smaller than the 48" to 60" nets traditionally used on the Kenai and Kasilof. I have light green to clear netting obtained from Donalson's in Anchorage and it works great. From what I have noticed, the other colors that are light and thinner do well too, but I really feel bad for those like myself that didn't know any better and went down there the first time with the smaller heavy duty landing type nets. The first time I did this years back I went to both the Kenai as well as the Kasilof and didn't get a ****ed thing, only one bump on the net while people around me were hammering them. You can imagine, that was a mistake I never made again.

Some may believe that those bigger Kenai nets are just too expansive, but even at $100.00 plus, just think how much you will be spending on just gas to get there and back with the real possibility of, like my first time, getting nothing but mad as hell for not checking things out better before going and just spending whatever it takes to get set-up correctly. Have I seen people get fish with the black nets? Yes, but pretty darned rarely in comparison, say a minimum of 20+ : 1.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    From my experience, the heavy black nets do just fine on the Copper River, which is very silty, but are virtually worthless on the Kenai, or Kasilof. Two factors are involved here, 1. the black, heavy duty landing type nets can be seen in the clearer waters of the Kenai and Kasilof, and 2., they are smaller than the 48" to 60" nets traditionally used on the Kenai and Kasilof. I have light green to clear netting obtained from Donalson's in Anchorage and it works great. From what I have noticed, the other colors that are light and thinner do well too, but I really feel bad for those like myself that didn't know any better and went down there the first time with the smaller heavy duty landing type nets. The first time I did this years back I went to both the Kenai as well as the Kasilof and didn't get a ****ed thing, only one bump on the net while people around me were hammering them. You can imagine, that was a mistake I never made again.

Some may believe that those bigger Kenai nets are just too expansive, but even at $100.00 plus, just think how much you will be spending on just gas to get there and back with the real possibility of, like my first time, getting nothing but mad as hell for not checking things out better before going and just spending whatever it takes to get set-up correctly. Have I seen people get fish with the black nets? Yes, but pretty darned rarely in comparison, say a minimum of 20+ : 1.
    uhldwm, While your advice may be sound, it's wasted in this farcical thread! Now, back to our story.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

I went with a custom made 14" hoop with a aqua green netting. Fish running east don't see color. Once they turn into the sun they see color better and I switch to a light gray net in a 3.4" mesh or a 4.2" mesh. Just gotta play the tides.
    Master guide 212

I'm confused...I don't see a dumpster handy for ya to throw all your PU fish in....
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I usually just rip a gill and throw them in the grass....all the toilet paper and beer cans keeps them fresh.
    Master guide 212

Regarding "uhldwm, While your advice may be sound, it's wasted in this farcical thread! Now, back to our story.". I apologize if I interrupted your story with my what you must consider farcical suggestions and comments on what you believe to be a farcical thread. I really pay little attention to the little people that are so engrossed in themselves that someone trying to honestly answer a question for beginners is subjected to drivel. However, back to your story. By the way, if this thread is so farcical and those that contribute to it so farcical -- why are you wasting your time reading it?

Oh, one other thing, I am aware that some people have nothing better to do with their time than to be farcical, but that is just the nature of human beings and as annoying as they might be, they must be in some real need of attention and I have more empathy for them than vitriol. I too wish they would cease and desist from some of the stuff that goes on here, but it doesn't seem this is going to happen and joining ranks with them just doesn't help. It is like trying to teach a pig to sing, all you do is waste your time and annoy the pig.

Regarding, ""Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Sorry if I made some faux pas and said something you felt was illegal. Unless I am missing something, the only thing I can see that might have been misunderstood was my reference to those next to me hammering the salmon while I didn't gat a dernd thing. It is OK if I say derned, isn't it? By hammering I meant they were getting fish and I was not, I have no idea what their limits were and if they were going over them. If I missed something, please let me know. As far as I could see they were not doing anything wrong, but doing everything right while I was not, but I know better now. A

nd to all I may have offended by my attempt to help a newcomer, Bless me Father for it seems I have sinned.
    Have a great day and remember, God Loves You, and God Bless our Troopers and all First Responders !

Regarding "uhldwm, While your advice may be sound, it's wasted in this farcical thread! Now, back to our story.". I apologize if I interrupted your story with my what you must consider farcical suggestions and comments on what you believe to be a farcical thread. I really pay little attention to the little people that are so engrossed in themselves that someone trying to honestly answer a question for beginners is subjected to drivel. However, back to your story. By the way, if this thread is so farcical and those that contribute to it so farcical -- why are you wasting your time reading it?

Oh, one other thing, I am aware that some people have nothing better to do with their time than to be farcical, but that is just the nature of human beings and as annoying as they might be, they must be in some real need of attention and I have more empathy for them than vitriol. I too wish they would cease and desist from some of the stuff that goes on here, but it doesn't seem this is going to happen and joining ranks with them just doesn't help. It is like trying to teach a pig to sing, all you do is waste your time and annoy the pig.

Regarding, ""Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Sorry if I made some faux pas and said something you felt was illegal. Unless I am missing something, the only thing I can see that might have been misunderstood was my reference to those next to me hammering the salmon while I didn't gat a dernd thing. It is OK if I say derned, isn't it? By hammering I meant they were getting fish and I was not, I have no idea what their limits were and if they were going over them. If I missed something, please let me know. As far as I could see they were not doing anything wrong, but doing everything right while I was not, but I know better now. A

nd to all I may have offended by my attempt to help a newcomer, Bless me Father for it seems I have sinned.
    Have a great day and remember, God Loves You, and God Bless our Troopers and all First Responders !
    Ummm ya
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Upon further reflection, I realize that your posts were exactly what was missing from this thread.
    Please Sir, where did you stand on the debate surrounding D-shaped -VS- square -VS- round nets?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Ummm ya
    You can say that again......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast