Thread: little nelchina to tazlina

Default little nelchina to tazlina

As the title says I am planning on canoeing from the little nelchina to the tazlina river. Does anyone on here have experience doing this with a canoe? I am thinking about taking my Mad River Revelation 17. It will be me and one other guy. I looked at a video of someone floating the river in a raft in high water. There looked to be some spots that are a bit sketchy.
    Thanks

When I drove back from Glennallen yesterday the Little Nelchina was high and muddy.

Some good info previously posted over the years: https://www.google.com/search?q=nelc...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Some good info previously posted over the years: https://www.google.com/search?q=nelc...utf-8&oe=utf-8
    I have read everything I can find on this site. There is a lot of great information. I am hoping for more information specific to using a canoe on those rivers

Quote Originally Posted by mcnejs View Post
    I have read everything I can find on this site. There is a lot of great information. I am hoping for more information specific to using a canoe on those rivers
    If you wanting information on canoeing a rivers read “Sid” posts. Just remember because he has done it does not mean it is possible for other to do it. The man is a legend when it come to canoeing rivers.

I did this trip during hunting season in a 14 foot self baling river raft with a friend. For anyone interested in the answer to my original question no I would not do this in a canoe. The little nelchina was great. The Nelchina had spots that would be difficult but doable. The tazlina was 45 miles of nearly continuous class III with a few extended class 4. If you hugged the bank closely you might pull it off in a canoe. I wouldn't want to risk it with hunting gear and a moose. Too much to lose including your life. We did the 45 miles in 6 hours and we even stopped for lunch. That river really moves. In some places we hit 11mph.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnejs View Post
    I did this trip during hunting season in a 14 foot self baling river raft with a friend. For anyone interested in the answer to my original question no I would not do this in a canoe. The little nelchina was great. The Nelchina had spots that would be difficult but doable. The tazlina was 45 miles of nearly continuous class III with a few extended class 4. If you hugged the bank closely you might pull it off in a canoe. I wouldn't want to risk it with hunting gear and a moose. Too much to lose including your life. We did the 45 miles in 6 hours and we even stopped for lunch. That river really moves. In some places we hit 11mph.
    Any luck in the hunting department?

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    Any luck in the hunting department?
    Unfortunately no. We saw a lynx and a brown bear with her cub. Saw lots of old moose sign.