Thread: Bris Kaboat Review - Saturn "Knockoff"

Default Bris Kaboat Review - Saturn "Knockoff"

So a couple months ago I decided I wanted to pick up some sort of inflatable boat. I saw a lot of talk about kaboats, and the price and air floor were very appealing to me, so I decided on one over a traditional metal floor inflatable boat.

However, the Bris boats that are available on Amazon seemed to be very much the same as the Saturn boats except:
    - 4 inches wider interior width
    - slightly wider tubes
    - More steeply curved bow
    - Foot pump instead of hand pump

So I decided to be the guinea pig and pick it up to write a review.

Construction:
    Here is a picture of the raft when it was first inflated. The material seems sturdy, seams are tidy, and the boat was left inflated for 2 days and it maintained perfect pressure. The 1100 denier PVC feels identical to the PVC of the saturn SIB I have seen in person, and the grey color is very attractive, although it gets extremely hot.

In terms of long term durability, I will have to update at a later time, but on the last outing we had an incident where the boat was pulled sideways and slammed between rapids and a downed tree. The boat was bent almost in half, scraped under 2 rough logs, and then finally popped out the other end nearly full of water. The experience was scary for the 3 of us, but we all hopped out and just floated along side the raft until it stopped safely. The boat is completely unharmed from the ordeal and still holds air for days, which is a great sign of durability.

On the water: Our first outing was an impromptu float down a small river. We were not planning on taking the boat out, so our group of 4 was forced to squeeze on. This resulted in a little deeper draft than I would have preferred, but the boat was still extremely stable and easy to paddle. This was more of just a test run to get a feel for the boat.

The second outing was the most extensive test of the raft. A group of 3 of us floated an 8 hour trip down another small, slow river. We opted to have the front and rear benches installed, and have the middle passenger sit on the cooler. The front and rear passengers each used a single canoe paddle. The boat tracks very straight for how flat the bottom is, and is very easy to steer from the stern. With 3 passengers the draft was very shallow (2 inches) and we were able to traverse many rocky shallows with only a few scrapes from the tracking skegs.

The float went extremely well, and with 3 passengers we were all able to fish comfortably, and had a large cooler on board as well. We did at one point take the raft directly upstream in a moderate speed portion of the river, and were able to do so with a little effort from the front and rear passengers. The boat certainly does not cut through water like a kayak, and a motor would have done a lot of good, but once moving, the upstream trek was no problem.

Since then I have done 5 more 3 person outings, each very successful. I know that most of you will be using this boat with a motor, so this is not the most useful information yet, but I will be purchasing a small outboard for it soon and will update with how it handles under power.

Additional Comments:
    So far, the raft has really surprised me in its capability. One thing that was a slight concern was that the wooden benches are extremely heavy, especially compared to the new shorter style aluminum benches that come with saturn kaboats now. This is good for modifications, but adds a lot to the overall boat weight when carrying and launching.

Also, I believe the bench positioning is not ideal, and the rearmost bench should be moved quite a bit back to make more room for the middle passenger and front bench.

Modifications:

- I have added a strip of rubber backed marine carpet which fits perfectly over the air floor to protect from hooks and make the floor less slippery

- I installed an attwood folding boat seat to the rearmost bench using carriage bolts and a swivel mount
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/FAST-TRAC...inges/23591224

- Installed clamp on rod holders to middle bench seat

- Lots of 303 UV protectant

In the future I will be buying an outboard motor and possibly bimini top, but for human propulsion it seems to be kitted how I need it for now.

If you have any questions please let me know since there are not a lot of in depth reviews of the boat online. Hope you enjoyed the review, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by awmaster10 View Post
    - I have added a strip of rubber backed marine carpet which fits perfectly over the air floor to protect from hooks and make the floor less slippery
    Nice review and thanks for the info. What exactly did you use for the floor cover? I'm a new kaboat owner and I already had to make a patch in the floor due to me being an idiot and not being careful while smoking and fishing. A cover of some sort would be great.
    -

I use a $8 Wall Mart Yoga mat

Default Floor cover

Quote Originally Posted by jsonn View Post
    Nice review and thanks for the info. What exactly did you use for the floor cover? I'm a new kaboat owner and I already had to make a patch in the floor due to me being an idiot and not being careful while smoking and fishing. A cover of some sort would be great.
    I ordered an 18inch x 20ft piece of marine carpet with rubber backing from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exterior-Boa...72.m2749.l2649 (Sorry if im not allowed to link)

Cut it in half so I have a spare and it fits perfectly over the floor. It may be a little too wide for the saturn kaboats but you can just tuck it under the sides. With the new fishing seat setup, it is essential so that the base does not rub a hole in the air floor. Only picture I could find of the interior with the carpet. Try your best to ignore the blonde up front

Yes, the seat is mounted on a christmas tree stand...

But yeah yoga mat works well too but I love how quickly the carpet dries out from splashes and how comfortable it is on bare feet. Next up, ordered an electric motor and battery setup which will be here within 10 days, so thatll be interesting.

I ordered an 18inch x 20ft piece of marine carpet with rubber backing from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exterior-Boa...72.m2749.l2649 (Sorry if im not allowed to link)

Cut it in half so I have a spare and it fits perfectly over the floor. It may be a little too wide for the saturn kaboats but you can just tuck it under the sides. With the new fishing seat setup, it is essential so that the base does not rub a hole in the air floor. Only picture I could find of the interior with the carpet. Try your best to ignore the blonde up front
    Thanks that looks perfect! You must not live in AK though cause I just calculated the shipping and that $10 rug costs $102 here lol. I'll have to search for another source or go with the yoga mat.
    -

Actually that 470XL Kaboat is 18" between the tubes at the narrowest which is 1.5" wider than the Bris 15' version that is 16.5" between the tubes.
    I find 24" wide (as the floor is underneath the widest part of the tubes) works pretty well for a width for a protective layers for the floor. 18" wide would leave a couple inches on each side of the floor uncovered.

Yes that is true, I was thinking of the standard width kaboats. The strip will be too narrow for the XL however it wouldnt be too awful. It fits perfectly in the 16.5 (17 as measured) Bris boat.

And yes, I am not located in Alaska. I posted this review because while looking for boats, this forum was by far the most accepting of the kaboats and had the most reviews with real world testing. It was a huge resource when making my boat choice, so I figured I might as well help you guys out by reviewing a craft that not many have tried. I am not sure if y'all are able to order easily off amazon with fair shipping cost but apparently ebay is not as easy.

Yeah I did some measuring and figured a 24 inch strip would work best in the Kaboat. I could then lay it in on top of the floor before fully inflating and tuck the edges so that the carpet locks in after fully inflating. Anyway, I found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-...IHXbCg&vxp=mtr that ships free to AK and sells custom lengths by the foot. I ordered an 11 foot strip so hopefully that works out like I hope.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by jsonn View Post
    Yeah I did some measuring and figured a 24 inch strip would work best in the Kaboat. I could then lay it in on top of the floor before fully inflating and tuck the edges so that the carpet locks in after fully inflating. Anyway, I found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-...IHXbCg&vxp=mtr that ships free to AK and sells custom lengths by the foot. I ordered an 11 foot strip so hopefully that works out like I hope.
    Thanks for the link....may try that. Much faster than the 2'X2' jigsaw foam I have been using.

Ended up going with this. $62 for 4X10' likely just cut it in half and if someone else whats a 2'X10' section I can sell it for $30.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

I didn't want the carpet holding water.

That carpet strip seems like it would work well for the Kaboat, and yes it will tuck under nicely as well. The strip I have leaves about an inch of floor on each side, but ticks under the bow area well enough and under my seat setup that it never moves.

That flooring solution looks like it will work well too, especially since you did not want it holding water. I find that my carpet dries out well enough because it is so thin and has rubber backing, but it will obviously eventually get grungy and I will need a replacement. Another nice perk is being able to roll it right up with the boat and it is good to go for next outing.

Seems like you guys both found solid solutions that ship to AK for a reasonable price.

Lets see how they look in the boats when you guys get the products and have a chance.

That carpet strip seems like it would work well for the Kaboat, and yes it will tuck under nicely as well. The strip I have leaves about an inch of floor on each side, but ticks under the bow area well enough and under my seat setup that it never moves.

That flooring solution looks like it will work well too, especially since you did not want it holding water. I find that my carpet dries out well enough because it is so thin and has rubber backing, but it will obviously eventually get grungy and I will need a replacement. Another nice perk is being able to roll it right up with the boat and it is good to go for next outing.

Seems like you guys both found solid solutions that ship to AK for a reasonable price.

Lets see how they look in the boats when you guys get the products and have a chance.
    Will do man. Was using these in it since I bought in in 2013 I believe:
    https://www.amazon.com/Stalwart-Inte...bber+mat+piece

While inexpensive and they worked they often came apart if you slide your foot or gear from one piece to another. Having one long continuous 10' piece should be better. Still gonna use the EVA foam piece I cut for the bow shape up front of course.

Keep us posted how you like your Bris boat. Wish Amazon would ship it to Alaska as my buddy is looking to buy a Kaboat now after we used mine on the rippin' copper river a couple weeks ago to access some dip netting locations since the more access means would out of the question with rivers changing courses and such. The little 9.8hp Nissan 4 stroke got 3 guys and gear up river without effort. Wasn't overly fast but we got it done.

Will post a pic or two when I get the floor installed.

Looking at buying one of these to pack around in the airplane, wondering how you are still liking it

I was going through the garage getting things ready for summer and had forgot I have half a roll of flooring left of what I ended up using in the Kaboat. This is the stuff https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . It's thin, tough and relatively light. I cut it in half so I have a 2x13 length of it left if someone wants it.
    -

Talking

Ok.....I have tried to stay out of this conversation but here goes...

First and foremost I an a Hypalon guy and only have a few PVC products, all are AIRE. I rent rafts so my feeling is "Buy only durable boats", Stay away from the rush of light weight and low price PVC products that we are seeing flood the market. It is important to understand that my rafts, all 22 of them see more use in June then most of yours will see in a lifetime so durability is the key for me. I repair LOTS of boats and you would be surprised how many guys end up in my boat yard looking for help fixing their PVC Cheap-o rafts. I see lots and man it just leads me back to the old adage....You get what you pay for. I see more STAR and SATURN boats that are hopelessly trashed due to a snag on the river.

PVC is a product that is a 3-5 year boat where a good quality Hypalon boat will be with you for 20 years if you love them a little bit. Don't get me wrong guys....There is a market for PVC products and I own 6 AIRE Cats and they are easy to fix and almost bullet proof but they have that wonderful AIRE outer cover.

Not trying to be a drag on anyones raft but but when it comes to durability, well.........

Walt
    Gulkana Raft Rentals
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    www.gulkanaraftrentals.com
    907-259-4290

Outfitting trips on the Noatak, Kobuk, Copper, Gulkana, Delta and Nelchina/Tazlina Rivers...
    Attached Images Attached Images