Thread: $15 Chitina P U dip net fee Why and How It Came To Be

Default $15 Chitina P U dip net fee Why and How It Came To Be

CDA Sponsored Dip Net Permit Fee

Prior to 2001 every spring DOT would clear the O'Brien Creek to Haley Creek trail. Since 2003 The Chitina Dipnetters Association (CDA) has been trying to get DOT to once again clear the trail and make it safe for ATV travel. The Northern Region director would not even consider putting equipment on the trail unless the work was done to DOT standards that were unattainable without spending millions of dollars, all we were asking for was a safe ATV trail. Time goes by and people retire and in 2015 a new director came on board (a dipnetter himself) and was sympathetic to making the trail once again safe for ATV travel. DOT estimated they could do the initial clearing for $100,000-$150.000 and that it would be CDAs' responsibility to find the money to do the work. With the fiscal shape the State of Alaska is in, CDA was unable to obtain an appropriation from the legislature. Fund raising that much money was beyond our means so the CDA board of directors proposed to the legislature a $15.00 fee for obtaining a Chitina Personal Use Dip Net Permit. HB137 the fish and game license fee increase bill was in January 2015 being debated in the Senate Resources Committee. CDA contacted Sen. Cathy Giessel, chair of senate resources, with our fee idea and requested it be inserted into HB137 with the monies generated used for toilet and garbage services and improvement of access to the dip net fishery. With Senator Giessel and and Senator Coghill help our fee idea to generate money to clear the trail became law. 2017 is the first year of the $15.00 permit fee. Work on the trail will begin in the fall of this year after funds from this years permits are made available. DOT will also have new vaulted toilets (2 at O'Brien Creek and 1 at the Fox Creek parking area) installed for this seasons use. CDA's mission is to protect and improve the Chitina P U Dip Net Fishery
    Chuck Derrick. Pres.
    The Chitina Dipnetters Association www.chitinadipnetters.com
    cderrick@chitinadipnetters.com
    Visit our website and Facebook page and sign up for membership

Thanks for your efforts! It will be nice to see some improvements down there. Now, if we could just figure out a way to find the litterers and fine them we'd be onto something! I just joined CDA--good mission and good job!

I didn't know CDA was the cause of the $15.00 fee but I was happy to pay it. Chitina has needed something like that for a while. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Thanks for helping to improve the circumstances and safety there.

I admit to missing the days, 25 years ago, and further back, of driving my old truck down through the tunnel, then hiking up and over the bank, and repelling down that last 8'-10' of slope to one of my favorite spots in a rocky inlet. The days of being able to set up a 10'x10' dome tent in the shade of the aspen there, with a cook stove on the rocks sporting a stove-top espresso maker and a skillet full of good grub, with few persons crossing paths there.

But there were a lot fewer of us then, and times change.

Any improvements to that trail, the restroom facilities, etc., and reduction of risks in motating down-stream through the maze of rock slides , are good efforts in my opinion.

I know what you mean... I used to love to drive my Ford Ranger down to Haley Creek.... to me it was always an adventure an a beautiful drive

Yup, I drove my 2 wheel drive 88 Chevy Van back there one year with the wifey. Lucky for us it was dry.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again