Thread: Driving through Canada

Default Driving through Canada

Hey everyone. My wife and I and my 2 sons are going to be moving to Alaska to the Palmer area hopefully yet this year, but if not for sure in the spring of 2018. This is truly a dream come true for us and we are quite excited about it. We will be relocating to Alaska from Newton Ks. My question is this . In all my research I have seen that Canada does not allow U.S. citizens into Canada that have had a DUI in the past 10 years without the proper paper work. From what I have seen and read you either have to get a temporary residency paper that states the dates that you will be in Canada or what they call a rehabilitated paper. Most say they file for both since the rehabilitated paper can take up to a year to get. My question is have any of you ever had to file for this and how to go about doing so, and what is the cost. I had a DUI over 16 years ago but feel I need to get this done so that there will not be any delay trying to pass through Canada. Thanks so much in advance for any help.

I would suggest that you contact the RCMP or CBSA, they would be able to help you out.

Since your google doesn't appear to work, I found this link for you. Link

Quote Originally Posted by northwoods View Post
    I would suggest that you contact the RCMP or CBSA, they would be able to help you out.

Thanks so much for the info.

Thank You for the link. I tried to find out on google and some how got some run around law agency.

Definitely make sure you have legal issues cleared up before showing up at the border. I've heard of people being turned away for reasons other than DUI's and that occurred more than 10 years ago.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Definitely make sure you have legal issues cleared up before showing up at the border. I've heard of people being turned away for reasons other than DUI's and that occurred more than 10 years ago.
    I had a buddy who was coming up annually for years to Ak from lower 48 and then out of the clear blue they gigged him on a very old dui and turned him back at the border. He drove 5-6 hrs back home and had to fly up that year. Talk about a way to wreck a great adventure up here! I would take care of it before u leave.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Yes I will definitely take care of the necessary paperwork before I travel. My brother in law just tried to cross the Canada border about a month ago and they dinged him on a DUI that was 10 years old and he had to fly home. All my stuff was from being a rowdy youth and was way over 10 years ago but better safe and prepared than sorry.