View Poll Results: What is your favorite Metric?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer

2 3.85%
  • 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser

15 28.85%
  • 7x57 Mauser

17 32.69%
  • 7x64 Brenneke *

2 3.85%
  • 7.5x55 Schmidt-Rubin

1 1.92%
  • 7.5x54R Russian

1 1.92%
  • 8x57 Mauser

4 7.69%
  • 8x68S *

1 1.92%
  • 9.3x62 Mauser *

6 11.54%
  • 9.3x64 Brenneke *

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Metric?

Default What is your favorite Metric?

Which of these European metrics do you like best? There are about a dozen that are left out, I tried to list what are the most popular, according to reloading manuals. There are also at least as many American metrics introduced over the years that aren't included, but this is about European calibers.

Which of these do you now or have you owned or would like to own?

Those listed with a * are non military calibers and there are many more of them, just ran out of room.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have several metrics 6x62, 6.5x55, 6.5x57, 7.5x55, 9.3x62 I have coming to me a 7x64 and and an 8.5x62reb would like to try an 8x68 and the 6.5x65 my favorites are the 6.5x55 and the 9.3x62 however I enjoy shooting them all the 7.5 Swiss is an R93 Blaser and is a round I am becoming very fond of.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The 7x57 got my vote.

I've owned several in the past, but I've only got 2 now. A military one, and my wife's Ruger.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have to say my favorite is not listed on the poll. I just received my new double Chapuis in 9,3x74R so I have to go with it. It very well could be the perfect lightweight double rifle that is suitable for hunting all of Alaska's large animals as well.
    My second choice would be the 7x57.
    Tennessee

I really like the 7x57mm, aka, 7mm Mauser, 7mm Spanish Hornet, 7mm South African Boer, 275 Rigby......

The second choice is a toss up between the 6.5 Swede and 6.5 Mannlicher... and they are a VERY close second.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

7x57 here, too. I've got several of the others, but the 7 has proven a lot more versatile. Favorite gun is a Ruger #1 Inernational with the mannlicher forend replaced with an A Henry. Short and fast as a Winnie Model 94 carbine, but with a whole lot more range and whomp.

Wouldn't let me vote but my favorite is 7X64 I have it in a Styer Model M Professional, it is a real shooter.
    I also really like the 7x57 and have a 6.5x55.

Default so many choices.....

Of the ones on the list that I have actually used, I chose the 7x64. 7x57 would be a very close second. Of the ones that I have not personally used, I'm particularly interested in the 8x68. I've considered building a rifle in that caliber.

I voted 9.3x64 Brenneke since it is a kissing cousin to my .375H&H power wise (and without a needed belt )

Have a special place in my heart for 7x57mm and 6.5x55mm for deer sized game.

Sure wish the Brenneke were more popular it is a true slick feeding bear and moose round with 286 grain Nosler partitions.

Popularity tends to kill rounds or make them famous by making things expensive or cheap in the ammo and component areas.

Maybe the wonderful 9.3x64 Brenneke will catch on.

Maybe the 9.3x66 sako will catch on........ahhh, who am I kidding?

jedi

The 7 x 57 is certainly sweet, only fault I can find is it does not fit a short action and if I must carry a long action I will take a 280 Rem. The 9.3 x 62 does it for me, all the power you need without excess recoil!

6.5X55 and 8X57 are the only metrics I have had. The swede was my favorite.

The one metric I've wanted to try is the 9.3, I passed on a MS 9.3X57, it was too much for the shape it was in, but man what a neat gun. If I didn't have two 35 cals, I would get a full stock cz 9.3X62, and of course a double in 9.3X74 would be wonderful.

The 7x57 got my vote and I really enjoy that cartridge. However, I'm building a rifle for the 7x75R vom Hofe SE right now and am hoping it will become my new favorite.

6.5 Swede. I have owned several and they all shot like a house of fire. It is a whitetail sized round but there are few that are easier to shoot or more effective at killing these little deer. Being a Swede makes it easy to like it even more.

Default metric caliber

I grew up reading of Karamojo Bell and Jim Corbett, reading of the Boers against the natives and the British. So I wanted a 7x57; period.
    As a gift I received a Mauser from my Father in Law. Big surprise, it was a 1912 Carl Gustav M96. I was subsequently hooked on the Swede.
    The Swede does it all, the 8x57 JS is the boomer.

Murphy,
    I could not vote.
    For just plinkin purposes, the 6.5x55 Swede is first. It is just a fun mild round to shoot. For hunting whitetail, the 7x64 would be my choice, though the 7x57 is in the running on both counts.

As a "Favorite" I would take the 6.5 Mannlicher. I have a great little full stock 1903 that is a dream to carry and use.

Now for "Practically" reasons I would take the 9.3x62 Otto Bock carbine I use to have. A awesome light thumper.

Thumbs up 9.3x62

I voted for the 9.3 (or as they write it in the EU, 9,3)X62 Mauser. It seems like an awesome all-around cartridge with a decent bullet selection lately.

For another bear buster, I'd think the 8X68S and the 9.3X64 Brenneke would be hard to beat too. I guess with the 62mm case, you can always make brass from '06 cases...a big plus in my book!

I also like the 7X57 and 7X64, aww heck, I like 'em all!

Dave

Murphy,

I am on the metric band wagon now. I have a 8x57 JS and am shooting 200gr Partitions and think it is a winner. Still on going but near completion is my 9.3 x 64 being built by Stuart Satterlee. Have a L-W barrel in shortly for a VZ24 action in the 9.3 Mauser I'll send down to Jim Kobe. Would like down the road to get a 7x57 and the 8x68-could not rightly vote but I will get there

Default favorite metric

to griz,
    I see that you also enjoy and appreciate the 8js, any experience yet with the 200 grain?
    I actually use a Yugo M48a for hunting for novelty with issued sights and am anxious to see reloads for the 8mm

Quote Originally Posted by swedeshooter View Post
    to griz,
    I see that you also enjoy and appreciate the 8js, any experience yet with the 200 grain?
    sectional density of .274 and velocities averaging 2614 fps-I would say it is just right for most of our game animals. comparable to a few other calibers in this range. some could find a difference but I think it is like picken fly schiit out of pepper when it comes down to it. been carrying it quite often and like the weight, that rear sight is something else but I believe I am getting used to lining it up fairly well. Won't change a thing on it.

Am considering the 220 Woodleigh before too long-somewhere around 2550 fps perhaps? I don't know how I overlooked this caliber all these yrs.

Murphy kind of led me away from the "wildcats" and I began another search in life. Them ole rounds seem very good. Reloading is a major part of my life now

Give me a holler in a couple of weeks and I will let you know how this old setup works-bear ribs should be fat by now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast