Thread: Shaft up or shaft down?

Default Shaft up or shaft down?

Guys,
    i have been asking around recently and keep getting various answers. So I thought I would ask the masses. I have aftermarket shocks on my sxs and one recently blew the seals. I had it rebuilt and when installing it a buddy told me that he thought my shocks were installed upside down given that the shafts were up back towads the machine rather than down towards the tire. Another buddy told me that they are correct and that you want the shafts up to prevent them from getting hammered by rocks.

What is the right answer here? And if there isn't one...what is the general opinion of others?

shaft up or shaft down?

Do you have rocks hitting the shocks now? I would go to the dealer and see how the new sxs shocks are installed.

I don't have rocks hitting the shocks now but the shafts are up. I looked at a few pictures of the stock machines and it really varies as to whether the shafts are up or shafts are down. Seems to be a mix.

The issue is that I blew the seals out of one of my shocks and someone indicated that this may be due to the shafts being up thus driving all the grit and mud down into the cylinder and trashing out the seals.

Just trying to determine if there is a "correct" orientation.

IMHO I think shafts should be down for reasons you state- however I would talk to the folks at A2D Motorsports here in Anchorage. They are really great to deal with and are not brand specific. They do some impressive suspension builds and can do any repairs that need to be made. You can reach them by email as well:

EMAIL: CHAD@A2DSLEDWORKS.COM
    A2D Motorsports
    907-306-3062
    1307 E. 74th Ave #4
    Anchorage, Alaska 99518

Checked my Arctic Cat Prowler and the shaft is up. Looked at the Arctic Cat site and looking at the pictures there, the shafts all appear to be up.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Checked my Arctic Cat Prowler and the shaft is up. Looked at the Arctic Cat site and looking at the pictures there, the shafts all appear to be up.
    https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/maverick-x3.html Bearcat: Your posts are usually very informative so I always look at them. I was just interested so looked at the Maverick and it is shaft down down. It is quite a machine with competition Fox shocks.

Shafts up on all 6 wheels my 16 ranger
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Generally up or down makes no difference as long as they clear. Some machines mount one way, some only the other. Some clear either way and then it's a matter of opinion as to which is best.