Thread: Forgotten Item or items

Default Forgotten Item or items

Hi there, been a lurker in the forum for a while decided to finally post. Doing my first DIY float hunt trip this fall. What item or items are overlooked or forgotten when going on a float trip? Thanks for the help in advance.

Don't forget an air pump on a float trip!! We'll just say I know a guy... oh and don't forget your backpack - you know the one you are going to haul that animal back to your boat with... once again I know a guy.

I rented a raft for my first float hunt last September. The rental outfit conveniently sent the raft package to my charter service, saving us the trouble of picking it up ourselves. When I arrived at the hangar to get everything weighed in the day before fly-out, my raft was safely stowed on a pallet way up on top of a shelf (fork-lift). To save the hassle of getting it down from temporary storage, I just took for granted that everything the raft provider promised was indeed included in the bundle. Fast forward to the following afternoon, my buddy and I are a few miles downstream from the drop-off point when we realized that the raft repair kit had not been included. We ended up shortening our float due in part to the fact that, if we punctured the raft, we would've had no way to repair it.

I don't blame the raft provider. We could've easily gotten a repair kit from him the day before departure if we'd taken the time to verify that everything was present in the raft kit. Bottom line: bring a list, check and re-check everything, and take absolutely nothing for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by cjstoobs View Post
    Hi there, been a lurker in the forum for a while decided to finally post. Doing my first DIY float hunt trip this fall. What item or items are overlooked or forgotten when going on a float trip? Thanks for the help in advance.
    extra oarlock and clip for oarlocks. Not very common, but I once lost one while stroking hard to set my approach into a rapids. Things got ugly quick!

leatherman, duct tape, sports tape for fingers, chapstick, and plenty of fuel, hand and face lotion, butt wipes...Wool gloves and rain top. depends on how many trips you have behind you that harkens the whoes of lessons learned. individual lists are indeed critical.

but keep it under 80-lbs per person with food and you'll be huntin' and learnin'
    https://pristineventures.com

Last year we forgot the fitting to attach our pump hose to the raft for inflation. Luckily we had electrical tape in the plane and we were able to get creative.

Not sure if you do a bunch of colder weather camping and have your own system figured out, but I always bring an extra wool stocking cap and socks to sleep in at night. They go in the dry bag with my sleeping bag everyday and are only used for sleeping or for an absolute emergency. I think not admitting to frozen feet while ice fishing as a kid because I wanted to stay out and fish so bad has made it so my feet are freezing cold even in the summer. I'm a wuss if I forget my sleep socks!

Don't forget to learn and practice Leave No Trace (https://lnt.org/learn/7-principles) ethics and principles during your float and especially after you've used those buttwipes Larry suggested you bring!!

A small tube of super glue, great for repairing cuts and cracked fingers. My fingers cracked and where sore as hell on my last float hunt. Cold temps, in and out of water multiple times a day, and day to day activities took it toll on my hands. Find a good pair of work gloves ie. leather, mechanix gloves to protect your hands.

Head net, never forget the head net. Bring a spare too, just in case.