Thread: Bison Bow Hunt

Default Bison Bow Hunt

has any one on here hunted bison with a bow. I plan to but was just curious of what kind of set up you used. I will be going with a vectrix at 82 lbs with a 475 gr arrow. I might up the arrow weight. what do you guys think.
    "The road goes on forever and the party never ends"

12 ring, I have never hunted bison with a bow a gun yes only once . A friend of mine did hunted bison with a bow, if I remember right he was pulling 80 pounds and the arrow was around 520 gr with zwickey(SP) broad heads. At 82 pounds 475 gr arrow looks a little light ( just my opinion) I would go up by another 100 grs. Another thing to consider is the type of broadhead you are going to use. I like cut in contact type of broadheads for animals like bison, remember is all about shot placement. I had a video that had a penetration test done in a buff, that video was very impresive, I see if I can find it and post the link. I hope this help.

Cool Is that...

Quote Originally Posted by 12ring View Post
    has any one on here hunted bison with a bow. I plan to but was just curious of what kind of set up you used. I will be going with a vectrix at 82 lbs with a 475 gr arrow. I might up the arrow weight. what do you guys think.
    475 gr with or without the broadhead? If it's without add another 100 to 200 grains depending on the head to the total weight....you'll be fine.

Smile

Use a bow set up that you would use for a moose or grizz/brownie. The hide/muscle densities aren't a whole lot different. The biggest thing will be the broadhead. Get a stout cut on contact style that shoots well for ya. A Hellrazor, G5, etc will due fine. Those buffalo roll in dirt alot and their coats are packed with dust and crap. It took a few knives to skin mine due to dulling because of all of the dirt. So getting through that hide is paramount in my opinion. Good luck and shoot straight!

Default broadhead

thanks for all of the input. I am pretty sure that I have it covered as far as broadheads are concerned. I am using what I consider the best broadhead ever made IMO. It is the german kinetics silver flames. They are a 2 blade cut on contact.

Default Is heavier really better?

I've read an article in Bowhunter that heavier may not be better when looking for penetration, likewise, the article went on to say that thinner was better penetrating than thicker (proven with physics), but all things being equal, I know that it would take an equal amount of mass to move the same amount mass any given time.

Default here's a chart on Velocity...& arrow weight...

http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/images/g14.jpg

Anytime you have higher velocity, you'll have deeper penetration, & you can only have higher velocity with a lighter arrow...

Default just a thought

Just think about the indians killing them with a homemade bow and arrows!!

12ring,

I have sent you a private message. My son and I also drew the cow tags in Delta. 9 years ago I drew a Bull tag there and hunted them for 14 days straight with a bow. Didn't draw the bow and ended up eating the tag but still planning on hunting hard with a bow this time and because we now live closer (Valdez) hunting alot more. To answer your question: I believe that medium to heavy arrows (9-14 gpi not including BH), flying well, behind razor sharp cut on contact broadheads seem to always have excellent penetration.
    Many folks in the past and many well equiped and informed folks of todays era have killed bison with bows. I think that you increase your chances with the formula above and when that shot comes for us this year, my experience with these weight arrows give me the confidence in my equipment to get the job done.............IMO

Default Bison with a Bow

I have popped one with a bow. I shot it with a hoyt several years ago. I was set a little above 70 lbs which is enough. The broad head was a Muzzy and it did its job but the blades were not in great shape afterwards. I would shoot the sharpest cut on contact 2 or 3 bladed broad head you could find and shoot well.

It is still about shot placement, sharp broad heads, and letting the warm blood out. These are tough animals and can take a poorly placed shot.

My first shot was a little bit back and hit the liver and clipped one lung. He flinched like he was bit by a fly. The arrow was sticking out 8 to 10 inches on the other side and not visible on my side. He milled around a bit and the other bulls in the herd got excited by the smell of blood. Finally he got pushed to the edge and when presented with the next shot opportunity, I put an arrow where the first should have been right into the heart. 4 steps and he was moving about 35 mph! I am not kidding. He went 100 yards and was dropped.

Cheers,

Matt

Heavier arrows are more important than speed.

"Anytime you have higher velocity, you'll have deeper penetration, & you can only have higher velocity with a lighter arrow"

If this is the case how so many bow hunter that hunt africa opts for a heavier arrow "1500 gr or heavier". I think that there is a happy medium you must have a heavy weight arrow at the right speed. Knetic energy is based in speed and weight.

KE = MV^2 therefore velecity is more important that weight
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Talking So

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    KE = MV^2 therefore velecity is more important that weight
    If that is the case. You would rather hunt brown bear with a 1 grain steel BB traveling at 37,000 fps than a 180 grain bullet from a 30/06 at 2,700 fps.

Bow hunting has a lot of variables thrown in. Broad head style, diameter of arrow, is the arrow properly spined for the bow (if the arrow is whipping, it will not enter straight and henceforth not penetrate as well), length of arrow, poundage...... lots to consider that no formula is going to take into considertion it all.

You have entered into the world of archery. An old dimension that has frustrated man to modern times to obtain the perfect set-up.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Wink Hey...

Whatever set-up you hunt moose with will be fine for buff. Good luck and post some pics bud!

Thumbs up arrrows

It's not about kenetic energy....it's not a bullet! It about cutting....weight, driving a sharp cutting edge deep. A heavier arrow will do this better. The best...IMHO...is a fast arrow of 450 gr or more behind a good quality broadhead with a ferral larger than the shaft of the arrow. That way there is vitually no drag on the arrow shaft.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

thanks for all the input guys im pretty sure that what ill be using will be more than enough and hopefully ill be posting some pics up here.. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    If that is the case. You would rather hunt brown bear with a 1 grain steel BB traveling at 37,000 fps than a 180 grain bullet from a 30/06 at 2,700 fps.

No because the 1 grain bb would not expand and go right through the brown bear releasing most of its energy well downrange. However if the 1 grain object had the same expansion and size as the 30/06 cartidge I'd definately take it.

Clearly its more complex than the old kinetic energy forumula, but given the same bullet expantion, or in this case broadhead style, spine, accuracy and what have you I'll take speed over weight. Also with archery you are cutting and bleeding rather than shocking, so in my opinion a faster arrow (given you can do it with the spine of the arrow etc) will be more accurate and since its going faster there is less of a chance that the animal will move and get hit in the gut. With more energy downrange a pass through shot is more likely, which since we are bleeding and not shocking is more desirable.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.