Thread: Circle hooks for kings?

Question Circle hooks for kings?

Any of you ever had any success using circle hooks for king fishing out of a drift boat?

Yes, I have used them in bait/diver setups on some rivers I fish in WA. No real change in rigging other than the hook change. All fish caught we're clean hookups in the lip, no deep hooks. Have not tried it up here in AK though. Hopefully Doc will chime in with his feedback as I think he's experimented with them as well on the Columbia.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've played with them a bit just for kicks. We caught some kings on them on spin n glo and eggs under divers. Gamakatsu Octopus circle 7/0 and 8/0. Some were hooked deep on the tongue or gill rakers, some were hooked in the corner of the mouth and some we never hooked up on. I've just stuck with the standard Gamakatsu Octopus. Plus its fun the set the hook.

Yep, outer barb. Swapped from J hooks a few years ago and haven't looked back.

On the recommendation of someone here on the site, I've been using the Owner Mutu light wire circles for mooching. Single hook, and they seem to work at least as well as a double hook mooching rig. Nice thing about it, we turn loose a lot of our smaller kings. Haven't had one yet that wasn't hooked right in the corner of the mouth and easy to shake with no injuries. With double octopus hooks I can figure about half the fish are going to be hooked deep and bleeding when they come up. Lately I've been pinching the barbs on the Mutus to make releases even easier, and I'm still not losing fish.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    On the recommendation of someone here on the site, I've been using the Owner Mutu light wire circles for mooching. Single hook, and they seem to work at least as well as a double hook mooching rig. Nice thing about it, we turn loose a lot of our smaller kings. Haven't had one yet that wasn't hooked right in the corner of the mouth and easy to shake with no injuries. With double octopus hooks I can figure about half the fish are going to be hooked deep and bleeding when they come up. Lately I've been pinching the barbs on the Mutus to make releases even easier, and I'm still not losing fish.
    What a great example of changing techniques to not only benefit yourself but the fish you release as well. If everybody thought like this our sport fisheries would be a better place. Thanks for sharing your technique and thought process that went into it!