Thread: Letter to editor re: Bear Baiting

Default Letter to editor re: Bear Baiting

In case anybody is interested, I started a thread in the Alaska Wildlife Forum. It is my response to a letter to the editer blasting bear baiting as the primary cause for DLP bear deaths around FAI. I am hoping that some of you, regardless whether you live in FAI or not, are willing to respond with yoiur own letter to the editor in the FAI Daily Newsminer.
    I was not sure how to attach the original letter in the paper for you to read. If anybody is able to it might help so people can read both.

I bet your post got deleted. Once it appearedin the newsminer, it was copyrighted and mods and owner won't let it on here. I'm surprised they let "Mark" post the way he does, as he is always plagarizing his own material..............hahahaha.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I bet your post got deleted. Once it appearedin the newsminer, it was copyrighted and mods and owner won't let it on here.
    Now, why would you write that when his post is right in this thread?

Default letter to editor, Alaska wildlife forum

MartenTrapper,
    Thanks, I think you helped me out. My letter is under the Thread titled "Bears, Bears, Bears". I just posted to that instead of starting a new thread as that thread already was inline with where I was going.
    The letter I posted has not been sent in to the Newsminer yet. I am trying to make it a bit better. I have some feedback from Mark, but that is it. Hope to hear from some more of you, and also hope that somebody else decides to write a letter to the editor in response the Jade Murpy's letter also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I was not sure how to attach the original letter in the paper for you to read. If anybody is able to it might help so people can read both.
    Here is the link to the original letter to the editor that you're referring to. It is the 3rd letter down the page.

Thumbs up Thanks Brian, you rock

Thanks for posting the original letter, I needed the help. Now people can see what has caused me to get my hackles up. Have a great evening.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    In case anybody is interested, I started a thread in the Alaska Wildlife Forum. It is my response to a letter to the editer blasting bear baiting as the primary cause for DLP bear deaths around FAI......
    I'm sorry, but who/where/what is FAI?

.....I am hoping that some of you, regardless whether you live in FAI or not, are willing to respond with yoiur own letter to the editor in the FAI Daily Newsminer...
    I've had nothing but good luck with the News-Miner. They seem to be well grounded folks.

Mark

I bet your post got deleted. Once it appearedin the newsminer, it was copyrighted and mods and owner won't let it on here.....
    Yup. If you say "okay" on the phone, it becomes their words.........with your name attached.........

....I'm surprised they let "Mark" post the way he does, as he is always plagarizing his own material..............hahahaha.
    My own material is pretty good, even if not the best........

You can put out a pretty good post, yourself......

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm sorry, but who/where/what is FAI?

I've had nothing but good luck with the News-Miner. They seem to be well grounded folks.
    Sorry, FAI is Fairbanks and the surrounding areas. I'm not saying anything negative about the News-Miner. Once again, bear baiting is coming into the public eye, and anyone who cares should write a letter to the editor in support of baiting.

FAI is the old aviation designation for Fbks International. People used to aviation terms use it. I've been using FBKS as I figure more folks recognize it.
    The new, international, designation for the Fbks airport is PAFA.
    River Rats post brings up an interesting question. Can one copy and paste ones own writing, even tho it appears in a copyrighted medium, such as a letter to the editor?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Can one copy and paste ones own writing, even tho it appears in a copyrighted medium, such as a letter to the editor?
    Yep. The copyright rule is one of common sense, and I can't imagine that a paper like the Newminer would sue us for printing a person's own letter to the editor. Common sense prevails, and if we ever did have a problem with that (which I can't imagine), we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Default bear baiting

I have no problem with bear baiting.

HOWEVER: I live in the Pleasant Valley area of Chena Hot Springs Rd. For some reason, some folks think this is all wilderness...and that setting up a bait station near the end of one of our residential roads is appropriate...and safe. May I suggest that it would be more appropriate to drive a little further from town, well past residential neighborhoods to find an appropriate spot for a bait station. These woods are heavily used by the locals - adults and children. That's why we moved here. Bear baiting is not appropriate in places close to neighborhoods.

I'm a hunter, trapper, musher, gun nut, etc....not an Anti....use common sense when picking an area for a bait station.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have no problem with bear baiting.

HOWEVER: I live in the Pleasant Valley area of Chena Hot Springs Rd. For some reason, some folks think this is all wilderness...and that setting up a bait station near the end of one of our residential roads is appropriate...and safe. May I suggest that it would be more appropriate to drive a little further from town, well past residential neighborhoods to find an appropriate spot for a bait station. These woods are heavily used by the locals - adults and children. That's why we moved here. Bear baiting is not appropriate in places close to neighborhoods.

I'm a hunter, trapper, musher, gun nut, etc....not an Anti....use common sense when picking an area for a bait station.

Thanks.
    Most people do use common sense when choosing a bait location. As with most things, the problem is with the minority. What do you consider close? One mile? Two miles? Three miles? I agree that baiters should be careful about where they bait, but throwing a steak on the grill will put out almost as much scent as a grease burn. I'm not disputing what you said. Residential areas aren't ok for baiting, but there are many ways to attract bears to your home.

-Eric

Default bear baiting...

lab man ---

My reference is to an unfortunate situation in the Two Rivers area where a bait station was put in the woods between the end of Grange Haul Rd and Pheasant Farm Rd. It drew a sow Grizzly and her 2 yearling cubs. Moma was killed when she got possessive, as Grizzlies do, and charged someone near the bait. The two yearlings prowled the neighborhood causing trouble and damage until they were both shot. They needed another year of supervision from Mom before they were ready to be on their own. My point is that bait stations are dangerous and should be placed well away from neighborhoods. Beyond neighborhoods....the woods where that station was placed were easy to access by road. I suggest that in the Two Rivers area, south of the road is a poor choice...several miles to the north of the road - at least a couple mile beyond anyone's home is wise and responsible, preferably out in the Chena River Rec area. A somewhat remote spot should be used. This neighborhood is not wilderness and the woods here are heavily traveled and used daily by many people ....mushers are training year round here, berry pickers, gathering firewood, kids playing, etc. Bait stations are not suitable here and can cause truly dangerous trouble for the locals.

A steak on the grill hardly compares to a 55 gallon drum full of prime stinky bait, designed to draw repeated visits from bears.

Most bear baiters are considerate, but that troublesome minority who are too lazy to really get a remote site for their station are the problem.

I've taken AkF&G's baiting course and taken one cinammon bear over bait. It was in a remote place that was several miles from a road and miles from a residence.

As I said, I'm not an Anti....Thanks for your response, Eric. I hope I've expressed my point in a resonable manner. I think it makes abundant sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    lab man ---

A steak on the grill hardly compares to a 55 gallon drum full of prime stinky bait, designed to draw repeated visits from bears.

Most bear baiters are considerate, but that troublesome minority who are too lazy to really get a remote site for their station are the problem.

I've taken AkF&G's baiting course and taken one cinammon bear over bait. It was in a remote place that was several miles from a road and miles from a residence.

As I said, I'm not an Anti....Thanks for your response, Eric. I hope I've expressed my point in a resonable manner. I think it makes abundant sense.
    Haha. Yeah I think a steak pales in comparison against some of the bait I've used. We can agree that bait stations don't belong near places of residence. Those lazy guys make life difficult for the rest of us. Your point is crystal clear, and I hope mine is just as understandable.

-Eric