Thread: Medallion foundation being cut

Default Medallion foundation being cut

It looks like the Medallion foundation is being whacked...
    The feds claim they will step into the void...

It will be interesting to see how FAA central command manages to goof this one up...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default working with Medallion

We have been working with the Medallion folks for quite a while. We have the CFIT star and just passed the initial audits for the Safety Star. It is quite a process.
    Since Medallion has been in around, and helping both the private and commercial pilots in AK, accident rates are way down. So now I guess we don't need them? Now that things are better it must be all fixed? Pilots aren't crashing so why continue to fund a program that has been successful? For those aviators out there that have not worked with, or participated in Medallion programs, you are missing out. They are a great bunch of people, most who are or were professionals, that really care about you and me.
    It is too bad Ted is busy on other fronts to continue the level of support he has given in the past.
    I hate to see all of us step backwards to where we were in terms of aviation safety. Nobody wins when planes crash and people die.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    We have been working with the Medallion folks for quite a while. We have the CFIT star and just passed the initial audits for the Safety Star. It is quite a process.
    Since Medallion has been in around, and helping both the private and commercial pilots in AK, accident rates are way down. So now I guess we don't need them? Now that things are better it must be all fixed? Pilots aren't crashing so why continue to fund a program that has been successful? For those aviators out there that have not worked with, or participated in Medallion programs, you are missing out. They are a great bunch of people, most who are or were professionals, that really care about you and me.
    It is too bad Ted is busy on other fronts to continue the level of support he has given in the past.
    I hate to see all of us step backwards to where we were in terms of aviation safety. Nobody wins when planes crash and people die.
    Whoa, whoa, Ak River Rat,

My face is bright red to admit to you that I'm not familiar with the Medallion Program. Can you clue me in? If it has promoted safety, and has been as successful as you indicate, only fools would punch it out!

Care to enlighten me?

Mort

I was one of their volunteer instructors / contact points....

Ted Stevens got the ball rolling back when the Republicans were in power. Now that they are the minority, some of his personal programs are being cut by the new majority...

The FAA thinks they can fill the void with volunteer FASST team folks...

'Right... lets' all volunteer to conform to the agency packed with non-pilot beauracrats,, I am sure they will welcome new ideas....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Aviation safety council

Good converstion regarding Medallion. Another group of professionals getting together is called "Aviation Safety Council of Alaska". The group is sponsored in part and aided by Medallion.
    They are comprised of big oil, 135 "mom/pops", 121, government (BLM, DNR, USFWS). The idea is to form a united voice for commecial aviation and to enhance safety in Alaska. The group has been meeting primarily in ANC for about a year and a half. A contact is:
    Richard Peabody- aksafety@gmail.com
    One of the nice things about Medallion is that they have FAA support. The FAA usually sees them as positive and stays mostly away. I do notice when FAA is in the room at meetings things are a bit more closed mouth. Call me overly hopeful, but I hope someday we can be proactive about safety and not fear retribution of the big hand of govt.

its funny to think the FAA can fill in the void when they are short staffed as it is in Alaska (KTUUs recent newscast about part 135s) by as much as 10 people...