Thread: Dipnetting this Sunday/Monday

Default Dipnetting this Sunday/Monday

We are trying to maximize our chances for dipnetting, to make the drive down from the Valley worth it. We are looking at getting down there at around 6pm Sunday, and staying until Monday, mid-day.
    I see the numbers are down, and they did a commercial opening for the Kasilof for Saturday.
    So, would you do it?

If you were just as able to go the following weekend, that's what I would do. The fish will more likely be running thick by then, or at least that's my impression.

The regularly scheduled commercial openings are Monday and Thursdays 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. So, there may be a chance of some fish coming in late Sun. or early on Monday before the nets cork it off. The OTF (Offshore Test Fish) numbers have been good and so there is a slug of fish moving up the inlet. It just depends on when they will make it to the river. These tides this weekend should help plus there is a slight (15 mph) South wind. Hopefully ADF&G won't keep getting overly aggressive in there commercial fish management and have another opening on Sunday. I and I'm many other were very surprised they announced an opening today with so few fish in the river. They know there are fish in the inlet and they are letting the commercial guys really hit them before they make it to the river. Sure spoiled a lot of plans for dippers. I can just hear those folks out in the rain dipping today cussing them for having the opening on a weekend. I thought that the BOF (Board of Fisheries) mandated that they not go commercial fishing prior to or during weekends like that to give dippers a more reliable way of knowing when to expect a good chance of getting into some fish but there must be some loop hole the fish manager found. I guess we need to plead our case to the BOF next time around to get it set in stone. I'll be down there tomorrow with my fingers crossed.

Default need to clear things up

ADF&G has fished the commercial fleet less this year than in the past few years. Also, there was a full 36 hour window as mandated in the management plans on Friday. They have not gone outside the plans or found any loop hole.

The escapement to Kasilof is right on track for this time of year to meet the mid-point of the escapement goal. That is the job of ADF&G and they are right on track. Therefore, they are fishing the commercial fleet with lots of non-fishing hours in the week. The reason fish are not moving is that they are holding in the inlet - which is the more typical situation that what has happened in the past couple of years. However, sockeye usually tend to hold in the mid-inlet and this year they appear to be in the east rip - that means just a few tides from the river mouth when they decide to move. If the winds blow southwest (not forecasted until latter in the week) these fish will dump into the rivers ASAP.

At this point I would guess that some fish will move to Kasilof by mid week and to Kenai by the end of the week. Commercial fishing will have to get in front of a major movement or ADF&G will exceed the escapement goals. However, with a large push to the river there should be plently of fish to harvest.

Went down to kenai for fri and sat, spent about 3 hours on the water on friday and got 2 reds ( I got both of them, step dad got skunked), and im 14 haha. Went out again sat morning for 5-7 hours, got a 10 pound king, and 3 reds (again i got all the reds but he got the king). Also came back with 2 large flounder, any advice on preparing these/the taste?... Dipping was slow but it was our first time, WE WERE ON A BOAT. --- You will probably get a couple of fish but not many yet, and be prepared to get waked two times a minute.

Dipped Sun. morning but only for 2 hours since it was obvious that very few fish were coming in. We got one. The OTF numbers keep climbing and so it is just a matter of time. Just need to time it right when it happens. It would be nice if ADF&G could also announce when they were going to use the weekly 36-hour closure to commercial fishing. I realize they want to keep their options open and be flexible but good communication with the public is always a good idea too. I realize that their job is to maximize harvest while meeting escapement but some level of increased communication could also help with reducing the number of phone calls they get too. Hoping for Tues. or Wed. now!!

I was going to head down tonight for a banzai after work run, but based on the numbers I'm going to wait. I feel a cold coming on Wednesday

Default did ok

We dipped on friday night, sat, and sunday at the kasilof. We did pretty good. (about 15 fish per person more or less) We usually had about 4 nets in the water. The one thing I'd say is the tide and timing is critical. There were some spots that were best at low tide, then incoming tide, the high tide. You have to watch other people to figure it out, but you can dip some fish if you put your time in.

Also our best time for numbers was sat afternoon about 3 hours after low tide, While the commercial fleet was out. We did about 40 fish in about 3 hours.

We dipped Saturday and Sunday from the North Bank of the Kenai Mouth and did poorly, less than 20 between both of us. Think I will watch the numbers and plan a quick trip down Thursday eve. Hopefully to limit then. Did get to see some one land a 50+ King tho. Caught some really nice reds and some small reds along with a few pinks.