Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I dip Chitna AND personal use fish the Kasilof?

Default Can I dip Chitna AND personal use fish the Kasilof?

Like the title says, can I dipnet Chitna AND personal use fish the Kasilof with a net? I was invited by a colleague to fish the Kasilof with her net, but I don't believe I can do BOTH.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Like the title says, can I dipnet Chitna AND personal use fish the Kasilof with a net? I was invited by a colleague to fish the Kasilof with her net, but I don't believe I can do BOTH.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.
    Yes. Lots of people do both every year. There is no restriction on one or the other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads-up. So if my Chitna limit is 45 fish, is my Kasilof personal use set-net limit different? If I get 25 in Chitna, can I ONLY get 20 in Kasilof, or is it a different limit?

Thanks.

Separate limits. You can max out both. You can also get a subsistence permit instead of personal use for Chitina. You can vastly increase your limit with that but you can only fish above the bridge and are restricted to choosing one permit for the Copper and sticking with it for the year. There is no changing your mind. But, the subsistence limit is kind of self-defined by need. I keep mine at 300. I know I will not get that many but gives me breathing room.

Great, thanks for the info. My crew always does the dipinng @ Chitna below the bridge. We were confused about Kasilof counting against our Chitna permit. I have an opportunity to set-net Kasilof with a co-worker, which I'd like to do. Glad to hear that's possible. Thanks for all the info.

That'd be a kick to set net it... I'd love to try that sometime. Good luck!

The Kasilof limit is 24 for head of house hold and the 10 for each member of family living there.There is also dipping on the Kasilof but that does count against the set netting.

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Great, thanks for the info. My crew always does the dipinng @ Chitna below the bridge. We were confused about Kasilof counting against our Chitna permit. I have an opportunity to set-net Kasilof with a co-worker, which I'd like to do. Glad to hear that's possible. Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    The Kasilof limit is 24 for head of house hold and the 10 for each member of family living there. There is also dipping on the Kasilof but that does count against the set netting.
    Bag limits

The total yearly harvest out of all the Upper Cook Inlet personal use salmon fisheries (Kenai, Kasilof, and Fish Creek) is 25 salmon and 10 flounder for the permit holder and 10 salmon for each additional household member. The limit is combined for all four fisheries—Kenai dipnetting, Kasilof dipnetting, Kasilof set gillnetting, and Fish Creek dipnetting.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...lofSalmon.regs

That's a good point to bring up... The Cook Inlet fisheries are a combined limit. The Copper, however, is a separate limit of its own.

I guess that I should give the full limit of 25 not 24 that is my bo bo!

Just my $ .02 worth, but my understanding is that you can fish both and limit out on both, but how many fish do you and your immediate family need, and what will just go to waste or given away? Neither of these fisheries are intended for wastage or supplying your friends and neighbors that live outside your family, and especially in the Lower 48 with salmon. If that is a person's desire, do it with sport fish caught salmon, and maybe that is also illegal, I really don't know in that category. Keep in mind that the regulations are for the sustained viability of the species as well as personal use and subsistence use.

One other very important thing to keep in mind is to have written and dated proof that you are doing things legally, don't just take someone's word for something, have a copy in writing and preferably dated or you could wind up arguing your point in front of a judge, and that is NOT a good thing. Don't even take the word of an officer, things can get very fluid and you had better be sure on your grounds and have proof to back it up. I do not mean to imply that the enforcement people are trying to ticket just because they can, just make sure you are doing the right thing and can prove it if confronted, and if confronted, be courteous. I have been stopped and questioned several times and never had a problem, but keep in mind that how you present yourself more often than not guides how your experience will go. Courtesy is usually met with courtesy and hostility with hostility. You just never know what the officer you are speaking with has gone through prior to their talking with you. I have seen some people treat them like dirt and act like real jerks, we are all humans and subject to moods and frailties. Treat others how you want to be treated.

Haul it in, Haul it out
    , and respect our renewable resources.

I completely agree. I've talked to several people who are trying to get rid of fish at the end of the year. Just because the fish are there to be caught doesn't mean they need to be kept. If you're not using them then catch less.
    Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    Just my $ .02 worth, but my understanding is that you can fish both and limit out on both, but how many fish do you and your immediate family need, and what will just go to waste or given away? Neither of these fisheries are intended for wastage or supplying your friends and neighbors that live outside your family, and especially in the Lower 48 with salmon. If that is a person's desire, do it with sport fish caught salmon, and maybe that is also illegal, I really don't know in that category. Keep in mind that the regulations are for the sustained viability of the species as well as personal use and subsistence use.

One other very important thing to keep in mind is to have written and dated proof that you are doing things legally, don't just take someone's word for something, have a copy in writing and preferably dated or you could wind up arguing your point in front of a judge, and that is NOT a good thing. Don't even take the word of an officer, things can get very fluid and you had better be sure on your grounds and have proof to back it up. I do not mean to imply that the enforcement people are trying to ticket just because they can, just make sure you are doing the right thing and can prove it if confronted, and if confronted, be courteous. I have been stopped and questioned several times and never had a problem, but keep in mind that how you present yourself more often than not guides how your experience will go. Courtesy is usually met with courtesy and hostility with hostility. You just never know what the officer you are speaking with has gone through prior to their talking with you. I have seen some people treat them like dirt and act like real jerks, we are all humans and subject to moods and frailties. Treat others how you want to be treated.

Haul it in, Haul it out

While I generally agree, it isn't illegal to give fish away. You can't use them to buy, sell, trade, or barter. The regulation is specifically written to allow giving away fish.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    That's a good point to bring up... The Cook Inlet fisheries are a combined limit. The Copper, however, is a separate limit of its own.

It's the Kachemak Bay gillnet coho permit that can't be combined with other Cook Inlet PU fisheries...it's one or the other... aside from that, I believe you can mix and match as desired...
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    It's the Kachemak Bay gillnet coho permit that can't be combined with other Cook Inlet PU fisheries...it's one or the other... aside from that, I believe you can mix and match as desired...
    While you must choose either the Kachemak bay Coho Gilnet fishery or the other fisheries to include the Kasilof gilnet and the Kenai/Kasilof dipnet fisheries, I believe what he was reffering to was that the Kenai/Kasilof fisheries have a combined annual harvest limit.
    So you can do any/all of the Kenai/Kasilof pu fisheries but all fall under the same annual harvest limit.
    Not 25+10 fish per each fishery but 25+10 for all of them together.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post

Haul it in, Haul it out
    Well said sir!
    These fisheries are labeled "Personal Use" for a reason.
    They are intended to be used to harvest for your own personal use by you and your immediate family.
    The provision to allow for sharing was IMHO put in place so we are not criminals if we invite friends and family over for dinner and grill up a fish that may or may not be a PU harvested fish.
    Not so that we can give away as much fish as possible.
    I know people who consume a ton of fish and let me tell you some of the numbers of fish thrown out here are way more than even a large family can consume in a year.
    There is a proxy system in place for the elderly and disabled to be able to get their fish.
    Just my $.02

One reason the subsistence limit is 500 is that subsistence has never been limited to immediate family. Everyone in a person's circle shares bounty, as they all share hardship. So that household limit may include elders, neighbors and guests outside immediate family.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    One reason the subsistence limit is 500 is that subsistence has never been limited to immediate family. Everyone in a person's circle shares bounty, as they all share hardship. So that household limit may include elders, neighbors and guests outside immediate family.
    Yes but in this context we are,at least partially(Kenai,Kasilof), talking a "Personal Use" fishery not a subsistence fishery.
    And If the OP is talking dipneting the Chitna, well, that makes them both PU fisheries for them.
    Personal use was once defined as for use by you and your immediate family only.
    That changed IMO due to people not having to segregate their fish when cooking for friends,neighbors,or visiting relatives.
    People complain when they see someone keep 1 or 2 fish over their limit. Yet here we have people talking of taking what is likely a lot more than 1 or 2 more fish then their family can eat just because they can or to gift them away.
    Some of our fisheries are a shadow of what they once were. Did over harvest play a part in the decline of the early run Kenai King or other statewide King salmon fisheries?
    If and/or when our red salmon fisheries end up in the same plight I will remember these threads.
    I learned after my first year of dipneting how much salmon I need and can usually get pretty close on my needs for the year.
    If my disabled/elderly friends and family need fish I will help them. If need be I will ask them if I can proxy for them. that system is already in place to provide for those people.

A realistic goal to get my family at home through the winter is about 50 fish, give or take. I fished the subsistence portion of the Copper so I could theoretically get all we need for the year in one trip and avoid the circus of Kenai.

Did I get anywhere near my goal? Not even close....

But, that is my reasoning behind choosing that fishery. I would never need or want the number of fish I am allowed, so I think a lot of this argument isn't about getting too many fish but making the best use of the options we have to get what you need.

*Sigh*....another year, another thread containing spurious allegations of "wastage" by dipnetters....this is an urban legend, people....it's not true. There are no ads out there for freezer burned fish...the PU salmon runs are among the strongest in the state...you all beating this dead horse year after year, why don't you just give it up? There are no sources whatsoever for these hysterical claims....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast