Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown bears and trail cameras? Does it work?

Default Brown bears and trail cameras? Does it work?

So I have my camera on my bait, moose, squirrels, birds, me, snow machines, but only three grizzly pictures. 150lb dog food was ate, barrel moved around the tree and one tree stripped of its branches 10' in the air. Three pictures. One of a rear end, one of a bear sniffing m permit and one just looking at the barrel. Had other cameras not get all the pictures of grizzly before either.
    Are any of you guys seeing activity on your baits that your cameras aren't catching? Wondering if the fuzzy surface of a grizzly don't trip a camera like other surfaces does. Just seems really odd, wondered if anyone else had noticed such things?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A bear will trip the camera. Birds, foxes, coyotes, leaves blowing on branches..... Most anything I don't need a picture of, mine takes one.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Based on what I'm seeing with two different brand cameras brown bears trip the camera less than 25% of the time.
    Master guide 212

Play with the settings. I set mine in the living room and walk around a while. They have too many settings these days.

It picks up everything but brown bears just fine. Squirrel flicks his tail and I get a video of it. Bear walks by...nothing.
    Master guide 212

this big ole boy tripped our camera many times. Sad to say we never caught him on the bait while we were in the stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

My Moultrie loves to snap pics of bear nostrils, eyeballs, foreheads, and ears. Every once in a great while I
    might get a pic that allows some judgement of the bears.

Raven, magpie, squirrel, and mystery pics round out the collection.

A friend in West Virginia got one of those glowing white orb pics and video the other night. We're still trying to figure out where that comes from.

I sat and watched a 6' Brown Bear try to tear my barrel off the tree. It was getting kind of dark but I could still see fine. The bear must have messed around for 2-3 minutes until I was trying to unzip my pocket to get my phone so I could take a picture of it. It must have caught my movement and bolted. I figured no worries the trail cam had to have got that. Nothing. I wonder if it was cause it was a blonde colored bear, it was amongst the dead grass on the creek bottom, and it being almost dark made it hard to see for the camera.

i have readjusted my camera height and angle so hopefully this helps.

Akhunter...yup same issue. One night had seven browns come in and we got one picture....
    Master guide 212

My trail cams seem to pick up the browns good but it definitely seems like I am missing some activity. I found out that if I don't have it pointed directly so the bait is center in the screen at 10 yards or less then I miss a lot of pics. The first few hits were with the bait barrel in the bottom third of my trail cam screen and I only got about 5 pics of two decent size black bears that ate 40 lbs of bait in three days. The major problem I'm dealing with now is after I get about 30 pics the bears find my cameras and rip them off the trees or jar them to the side.

I've got ones with the view finder on them so I can tell where it's pointed which helps. But I'll have a picture or two but have lots of activity that I clearly don't have pictures of. Gonna double up cameras I think.
    Master guide 212

This week.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Let me reiterate. I get brown bear pictures. BUT, I miss ALOT of activity that I'm not getting pictures of. Wondering if others are seeing the same. Less photos than there should be based on the sign/activity at their site?
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Let me reiterate. I get brown bear pictures. BUT, I miss ALOT of activity that I'm not getting pictures of. Wondering if others are seeing the same. Less photos than there should be based on the sign/activity at their site?
    The first time I set up my game cam, I got pictures of a sow brown and 2 cubs on a caribou gutpile. 1 picture every minute from just before dark to just after light, over 500 pictures, mostly of their backs and tops of their heads. Really learned that game cam coverage is mostly horizontal and little vertical. On a different gutpile 2 nights later, caught the same bears over 400 times. Haven't got many pics of bears during the day.

Yes, that's what I get. Some of that is also how I set the recovery time for the camera. In order to get more pics over the long term rather than get 100 pics of my first couple of visitors I set the camera for the longest time between shots. I also set up he camera for poorer quality so I get more pics. I'm mostly seeking just to identify who the visitor is and get time/date.

My biggest frustration with my cam is my lack of a laptop so I can see the pics on site on a decent size screen and then download them and clear the memory to make room for more pics. I wish my wife would hurry up and buy a laptop.........

Get yourself a little used netbook RTaylor. Easier to carry out there. We use an old one that's not usable on internet anymore (Windows XP) but I keep it off the internet and we just use it for checking camera chips.

Picked up a new Cuddeback Long Range IR cam this spring. Real nice pics and very fast! Tested it out on traffic that goes by the end of the drive and it can get 3 shots off of the same vehicle passing by. That's on it's fastest setting. 1/4 second trigger speed, 20 megapixels, 100 foot flash range.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    How fast is your trigger speed BRWNBR? Sounds like it's not firing off fast enough to catch what passes in front of it. Grizz are big = longer legs = move faster at a walk.

When I walk by the first picture is of my hand as it swings forward. Catches snowmachine as they drive by. But my bait site was trashed and I had three pictures all of bears just standing there...
    Master guide 212

There are three modes on the Browning: 1. Trail Cam 2. Video 3. Timelaspe Plus. I think I have mine set to number 3. So I am getting random pictures, at random times. I need to check it tomorrow. It has rained every day for the past week in Valdez and I have not hunted my stand once yet.

My dad had brown bears on his porch and they didn't even set off the motion lights that have no problem turning on when the dogs go out. Must be something with the hair. I have gotten pics in the past but like others I get only a small percentage of what I should have gotten

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast