Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brown bears and trail cameras? Does it work?

Wow ya I hadn't thought about motion lights....wonder what it is with those bears...gotta be fuzzy texture or something.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I use occupancy light switches in my home because my son and wife don't know how to turn lights off. They all seem to work great in the event of any motion, but (like my son and wife) some of them don't want to turn the light off afterwards.

I took the instructions out with me yesterday for the Browning. It took me 5-6 tries to finally get it set for video and the timing set correctly. It does take, hitting the correct buttons exactly as the instructions say along with 8-9 well placed euphemisms. I will see today when I head out what I have.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We have no problems getting the grizz on our cameras, day or night -
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got home today and downloaded the game cam pics for review and editing. 151 pics in all between May 3rd and this morning. Of those, 54 pics had a bear in it, one pic of a wolverine, and the rest were ravens or windblown twigs. Of the bears, there were two or maybe three different black bears, all small. No grizzlies. Almost all of the pics were between May 10th and May 19th. The bait was originally set on May 3rd, and I returned with more bait on the 21st, and I sat watching the bait each evening from 5pm-midnight from the 22nd until last night. Only one bear showed up when I was sitting, and that was last night.

You have probably been getting hit by a Yeti that is why you are not getting pictures.

Ha.... Yeti!!

Grizz on our baits again. Mr Toad dropped by right at the end of season for them, and the twins just a few days ago. Day late and a dollar short!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Moved my camera closer and at a different angle. Got a lot more photos but still missing stuff. happier with my results though.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Moved my camera closer and at a different angle. Got a lot more photos but still missing stuff. happier with my results though.
    my old camera I found 3 shot burst mode caught a lot more action. If a bear comes in and sits down on the bait without moving much, there won't be many pics of it. I found I had to be really close to the bait for it to trigger, too. No idea where the manufacturer comes up with the claims for range!

Ya I went closer and did ten second video and it seems
    To be better
    Master guide 212

BrwnBear I switched from my older stealth cams to newer models this year and I am having the same problem with photos. 1 station I am snapping lots of ravens flying through etc but minimal brown photos yet I have several hitting. I am putting the older cameras out this weekend and moving the newer ones to a new location to see if trigger distance may play a part. Last year used the same trees and had zero issues (2-3k photos over a week time frame) this year I am lucky to get 150-200 with decent activity.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Just glad to hear I'm
    Not loosing my mind lol I moved closer and it seemed to help. But still missing stuff. Would like to set two or three at the same bait at different angles and distances and compare the photos we get from them.
    Master guide 212

So checked my cameras again, grizzly all over in my video and pictures. Except my barrel is crushed flat and the ground around my tree is rotto-tilled up with zero pictures taken. Not to be discouraged we sit the bait...8' grizzly walks in. Eats from the barrel, stands on his hind legs,spins and falls over right there. Zero pictures taken. Hundreds of squirrel and bird photos and some other bear pictures. But I'm still seeing a pile of action and evidence that isn't recorded on camera.
    Master guide 212

So I was reading reviews/questions and answers on cuddeback cameras on the cabelas website, and one of the questions was about the motion detector. The "cabelas expert" replied that the motion detector detects differences in temperature and motions related to those differences in temperature. He said critters with a very thick coat may not trigger the motion detector since the fur insulates the animal enough the temperature difference isn't significant enough between the critter and the environment. I'm not sure if that's the case for all game cameras, but might be worth looking into. Grizzlies might have just a thick enough coat if this is the case?

Edit, just found the text:

"The detection range of the Cuddeback Long-Range IR Trail Camera, item IK-461731, will vary. The motion sensor detects the temperature difference between the air and the animal. The range at which an animal will be detected varies with animal size, movement speed, air temperature and the heat of the animal. Detection range will be reduced in hot (over 80˚ F) temperatures. Animals walking directly towards the camera may not be detected until they are very close (10 feet) to the camera. Animals with thick hair (deer in winter) will be harder to detect than animals with a thin summer coat, this can result in reduced detection range in winter. The larger the animal the further away it can be detected (for example, a deer may be detected beyond 50 feet, but a fox may only be detected to 25 feet). A moving animal is detected better than stationary animals, a small flying bird can be detected because of the wing movement and speed. Stationary animals may not be detected, an animal standing in front of the camera may not be detected until it moves."

We tried setting our cams lower this year, taking a chance that they might receive more abuse, but it seems they don't pick up as much activity down low. We've tried eyeball level for a black bear... too low. I think they need to be eye level for a human or higher, then angled down towards the bait.

my browns finally started popping up on the memory card.. myself and my hunting partner connected on 2 yesterday.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Let's see some pictures!! Have you found that brown activity picks up later in June?
    Master guide 212

BRWNBR i posted a new thread (doubled) with photos. I do see increased activity in June.

The cameras work better on side shots not straight on. Try setting one up on a well used trail so get side shots. Maybe move them farther away to get a wider view. If you turn the "trigger" down you may end up with a thousand leaf blowing pictures. The videos are nice because it gets the whole episode. I know with my cameras sometimes the shadows set the trigger off.

We have two cameras set up at our station. I've noticed one camera will pick up some bears and the other won't, and visa versa. I truly believe there is more activity than it seems, not getting all the pics we should. Either way last Tuesday night we were sitting, knowing a grizzly or possible two different grizzlies(dark pics and similar size hard to tell)were visiting the site between 11pm-4am. At about 1230am a sow grizzly snuck up on us. My hunting partner stuck it with an arrow, only went 40 yards. Heading back tonight hopefully more grizzly on cam, my turn now. But I believe our cams are set too far away from the bait, may try to move one closer and see if it helps. I'm not sure what you guys are using to check your pics with on your cam but I bought the stealth cam SD card reader for my iphone 7 and works great to look at pics and save them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast