Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drawing A Tag And Then Not Possibly Going

Question Drawing A Tag And Then Not Possibly Going

I have a concern, if you will. Please read this "objectively"- Why would/do people put in for tags that they know nothing about, cannot afford, they get drawn and either end up not going for "reasons" or go and have a complete bust of a hunt because of lack of knowledge?

I've talked to lots of people over the years who have drawn several different tags, mainly the Kodiak bear tags, and not go due to "it's too expensive" or "I don't want to go alone" or "I drew another tag as well and can't get time off to go on this one", etc...

Why apply in the first place when so many other people out there who: ARE ready to go, CAN afford it and ARE knowledgeable of the hunt if they were to be drawn?

I guess what I'm saying is that there are a lot of wasted tags out there due to these "reasons" and it's not fair to others who also want those tags. I'm starting to see it already from some folks here asking questions who have been fortunate enough to draw and didn't do any homework or whatever prior to applying...Asking questions is a good thing. IMO, just a "little" late in the game is all...

Planning ahead is key... I try to plan a year out and cover all of my bases. I'll ask questions to other hunters who have drawn the tag (successful or not), that I'm interested in as well. I would do all of this WELL BEFORE applying, because there might be a logistical hoop or whatever "reason" that I can't get through and not be able to go. I won't waste a tag if this is the case, I'll let someone else have a crack at it.

I'm NOT trying to de a D**K here, but think about it for a second. I'm NOT trying to start a battle here either or single-out anyone specific. I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense, to me anyways... I guess that's how I see it or maybe I'm way off base here and I need to go pack sand.

Can someone please enlighten me if this is the case? Congrats on those who drew a tag and CAN go on their hunts! Respectfully.....

Default Spot on!!

I agry with you that a person should not apply for a hunt that they do not have every intention on going. I have know many people that have drawn multiple permits and could'nt go on all of them in one year. Or they found out they either could'nt afford it or its not a gravy hunt and they might have to work a little harder then they are used to so they dont go. I understand that priorities change and sh*t happens in life but when you hit that apply button you should have every intention to go.

Just my .02

Default Up the price.

I would be all for raising the cost to apply.

Only if the extra money raised would bring back the name "Game" into the Alaska Department of Commercial Fish and Fish!

Default What

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    I would be all for raising the cost to apply.

Only if the extra money raised would bring back the name "Game" into the Alaska Department of Commercial Fish and Fish!
    Are you out of your mind! Pay to play,only those that can afford to should be able to.The resorce belong to all of us not just those with
    wealth!

The department issues more permits for some areas than animals they want killed to account for people not using the permits. A lot of hunts have less than 50% of the winners actually hunting it. IT's a shame. One thing to consider though, if everybody used there permit, less permits would be given out for these hunt areas.

I'm always amazed at the number of people that draw and dont hunt the real coveted permits like the TMA, Delta Bison, and Kodiak Bear.

Default my point wasn't clear.

What I mean is raise the cost of puting in for the draws.

If the cost to put in went up to $10 or $20 this may keep the people out that are currently puting in that don't have the intent to hunt anyways.

I do agree with you that we should not enter drawings for hunts we may not be able to attend after winning. However, there are times when all the facts are not known, or not told so by F&G. For example, a year ago I won one to hunt bull moose in the Delta Controlled used area. I was never notified by F&G, and found out about it because a friend of mine told me he saw my name in the list of winners. I immediately went to F&G, and was told that indeed I had won the tag, but that I had to attend the Hunter's Education class because most of the area was within military land. That would have been just fine with me, but F&G had no openings in the class. I believe that F&G should clearly state in the application form any of such requirements before I can turn-in the application.

By the way, although one can't attend the hunt, one must still fill-in a Harvest Report.

I imagine that if members of animal rights groups want to take a few of the tags so others can't hunt bears and such, all they have to do is to buy hunting licenses, and enter their names in the Kodiak drawing. Increasing the fee is not going to help other hunters. Some folks (hunters or not) don't have to pay for hunting licenses.

Talking valid questions

I've been asking that for years. In Idaho, they give one until Aug 1 to pickup and pay for drawn tags, and if one doesn't, they lose it and it goes up for a second drawing. Then if there are any leftover from that, they're sold on a first come, first served basis. They did eliminate some anti's in this process, plus the non-serious hunters. Lord have mercy on us if they ever allow a person to sell drawn tags...can you imagine what'd that do to our sport?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Mark

....If the cost to put in went up to $10 or $20 this may keep the people out that are currently puting in that don't have the intent to hunt anyways.
    In the case of general draw hunts, I doubt those who don't hunt never had the intent not to hunt. Probably lots of them applied thinking they'd never get the permit and didn't realize the difficulty and/or cost of putting that particular hunt together. That happened to me on a fall Farewell bison permit. I got notified of my successful draw in mid-July (about a 1% chance of drawing), and couldn't get a hunt logistically and economically set up for the first two weeks of September (I think that's another hunt that should be in the winter draw program......)

That's in addition to those who have every intention to hunt, but something comes up to interfere with their plans. It happens.

In the case of subsistence hunts, there is no charge for applying. And the questions which qualify people actually encourage people to apply even if they're not sure they can hunt:

....14. How many years have YOU hunted or eaten meat from the Tier II population you are applying for in Question 13? Include years you would have hunted this population but did not because the hunt was cancelled or you were unsuccessful in obtaining a drawing or Tier II permit for this population.....
    How can one intend to hunt or eat meat from that particular game population and be denied because the hunt was closed or one didn't get the permit if one doesn't even apply for the permit?

Default to bad

Ray,
    Sounds like you should have done your home work on that Delta management area moose hunt. Only a portion of the area is military land(less than half) in which you need hunter eduacation. There is plenty of really good hunt able area that isn't military land in that permit area. Also, the hunter ed requirement wasn't ADF&G's requirement it was only the military. Why should ADF&G have to tell you about someone else's requirement when you don't have to hunt there. You missed the boat on a great permit.

Default Winter draw

I believe all the drawings should take place in the winter!

Mark

I believe all the drawings should take place in the winter!
    It sure would be easier on the hunters if it was that way.

For some species the Department needs time to do their population surveys in order to know how many permits to issue.

Moose surveys are performed in Oct - Nov for obvious reasons. Caribou surveys are done during calving periods, again, for obvious reasons.

Biology takes precedent over convenience...........

Cool

This thread is really starting to wander....

Should people plan ahead and know as much as possible about a drawing tag, knowing full well that they CAN go on, BEFORE they apply? I say yes!

I understand the unforeseeable things: Death, Divorce, Fired from job, etc... from preventing the hunt from happening. BUT that's NOT what I was asking or where I was going with this...

Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
    Ray,
    Sounds like you should have done your home work on that Delta management area moose hunt. Only a portion of the area is military land(less than half) in which you need hunter eduacation. There is plenty of really good hunt able area that isn't military land in that permit area. Also, the hunter ed requirement wasn't ADF&G's requirement it was only the military. Why should ADF&G have to tell you about someone else's requirement when you don't have to hunt there. You missed the boat on a great permit.
    By the time I found out that I had won, the Hunter's Training classes were booked from August through November, too late for me to attend. I could have hunted on the Delta side without entering military land, but the best area was within military lands. My hunting partner ended killing a very large moose there. Now i know all I need to know about that area, however.
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/GIS/m...oose/dm790.gif

You will notice that on the Delta side there is a lot of private lands, so I would have had to spend lots of time asking for permission to go across such property. Also, look at the boundaries of the city of Delta Junction: as far as I know, one can't use firearms to hunt within the city limits (I could be wrong, of course).

The reason why F&G should have the information on the application is because a very large portion of it is in fact military land that is easily reached after applying for a 2-year Recreational Pass from Fort Greely. One can do the homework ahead of time, but why not indicate so in the application?

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post

Should people plan ahead and know as much as possible about a drawing tag, knowing full well that they CAN go on, BEFORE they apply? I say yes!

I understand the unforeseeable things: Death, Divorce, Fired from job, etc... from preventing the hunt from happening. BUT that's NOT what I was asking or where I was going with this...

Your thoughts?
    Yes, if the would be hunter actually died, then that is a valid reason. Other than that the reasons listed are no more than excuses and not valid in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post

Your thoughts?
    You are correct, swampdonkey. It's a good idea to know everything ahead of time, but just like the promises one makes to one's kids, plans often change in the last minute. Maybe that's why F&G allows for more than enough permits to go around?

I apologize for talking about my individual reasons for not attending one of such hunts. I didn't mean to wander from the main subject.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Yes, if the would be hunter actually died, then that is a valid reason. Other than that the reasons listed are no more than excuses and not valid in my book.
    So would the murder of a permit recipient be a good way to increase one's odds of drawing?

Is that where we are now? (I'd just like to know..........maybe if I get a permit in the future, I may need to carry a defensive firearm around.......)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    So would the murder of a permit recipient be a good way to increase one's odds of drawing?
    Simply put, No, not a good way. But Yes. it would increase ones odds. Not a good recommendation in my opinion.

Is that where we are now? (I'd just like to know..........maybe if I get a permit in the future, I may need to carry a defensive firearm around.......)
    I for sure hope not. but I for sure would advise anyone hunting caribou to carry a defensive firearm around.....cause the woods are full of critters that are not prey. Caribou country almost always means the presence of Brown and/or Grizzly Bears.

Default _ _ It Happens!

My son & I apply for tags all over the western states and nearly always get a preference point for that effort - that's how the game works! When we have enough points we draw a tag. Since I only get 10 days of vacation a year when the season comes that I draw two or more tags, I will have to choose which hunt(s) are most important to me. This happens to hunters all over the US every fall. Part of the game is to put in for as many tags as you can and then see how it plays out in the draws. Alaska is a wildcard state since most of the other western states drawings are completed before AK. Then after a state has it drawing, if there are landowner tags available for sale they will be sell quickly so a hunter can look at the odds for any drawings he has remaining and might decide to buy a tag so he is ensured of at least one hunt that fall. By this time he would have so much invested in the purchased tag that he might opt to hunt on the purchased tag rather than hunt on a "cheap" drawing tag. I hope this gives one explanation to the situation you described.

I think if you apply you should have intentions on going. However things do come up in everyones schedules and sometimes it's just the way the cookie crumbles. We have all heard that they give out more tags for this reason though. Dont know if it's true but thats what I hear.

My biggest beef though is it is July 13th this year when tags got released. I have 2 weeks booked off already for a moose hunt. I applied for Kenai Caribou and if drawn (I Wasn't) I would have less than a month of to schedule time off work. To me that is pure BS on Fish and Games part by not giving people proper time to plan at work or other things in their personal schedules.

All tags should be done in the November time frame and released to us by Feb. Other states do it like that and they give out a heck of alot more tags than we do and respond a lot quicker. Just look up Washington if you don't beleive me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast