Thread: SURVIVAL GEAR 101 "If you can't reach it, you ain't got it".

Default SURVIVAL GEAR 101 "If you can't reach it, you ain't got it".

Lesson # 101 survival gear not with-in reach, is survival gear you don't control. Wear your basic survival gear (24/7 if appropriate)

Sad Story........

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/rura...e-near-beaver/

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

The only real survival gear you have is what is in your pockets or what you wear on your body. The rest is camping gear, if you can get it.

Default Like a Survival Kit, a PFD Should Be On Your Person

Your point about carrying survival gear on your person is spot-on. Not to hijack the thread, but we would emphasize a couple of other aspects of this story. First, things might have gone better for the two missing men, had they been wearing PFDs.

Once you wind up in the water, your first job is keep your airway clear so you can breathe. A PFD helps keep your head above water so that you don't drown due to cold-water shock or swimming fatigue. Just like a personal survival kit, a PFD should be on your person. NIOSH did a study some years ago on which types PFDs were most preferred by commercial fishermen in different fisheries. Regardless of what you do on the water, there's a PFD that should work for you.

Second, we always recommend keeping your shoes and other clothes on when in the water. The help trap air which helps keep you buoyant. They also add insulation to help reduce heat loss. Shoes would have been particularly helpful to this woman once she got to the beach and a PFD will support you and your shoes when you're in the water.

That's a sad story and we wish that it had turned out better for everyone involved.

Quote Originally Posted by AMSEA View Post
    Second, we always recommend keeping your shoes and other clothes on when in the water. The help trap air which helps keep you buoyant. They also add insulation to help reduce heat loss. Shoes would have been particularly helpful to this woman once she got to the beach and a PFD will support you and your shoes when you're in the water.
    I helped in a search for a person that fell out of a boat in the Narrows near Valdez. His 18" rubber boots took him down so fast there was nothing that could be done. We found his hat, cigarettes and sun glasses and that was it. Body was never recovered. Many in the bush do not own PFD's. I was teaching in Shaktoolik and one spring day all the kids came to school wearing PFD's. I asked why? It was PFD day. Anyone not showing up to school with one the village ordered them a new one so all kids had one. The ATV helmet law was passed that year too. So one day the village took head measurements of all the kids and bought everyone a helmet. Great village.

I don't wear rubber boots in my boat.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I helped in a search for a person that fell out of a boat in the Narrows near Valdez. His 18" rubber boots took him down so fast there was nothing that could be done. We found his hat, cigarettes and sun glasses and that was it. Body was never recovered. Many in the bush do not own PFD's. I was teaching in Shaktoolik and one spring day all the kids came to school wearing PFD's. I asked why? It was PFD day. Anyone not showing up to school with one the village ordered them a new one so all kids had one. The ATV helmet law was passed that year too. So one day the village took head measurements of all the kids and bought everyone a helmet. Great village.

I don't wear rubber boots in my boat.
    I don't wear my LaCross hip boots in my boat anymore either.....after I had to swim just a few yards real quick to catch my boat at the launch. Couldn't believe it.....and I've always been a strong swimmer too...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!