Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RICK SINNOTT gets 3 sheep permits in a row

Default RICK SINNOTT gets 3 sheep permits in a row

Ranger Rick scores again??? Is this guy is extremely lucky or is the system rigged? What are the odds? Anyone here ever won 3 years in a row?

I want an audit.

I also want a permit.

Default Dear Craig Medred...

Craig,
    Has the ADN ever investigated the ADF&G computer program used to select hunting permits?

Looking at the drawing results online this morning I see RICK SINNOTT get his 3rd sheep permit in a row. How is it that he is soooo lucky? I know folks that have applied for years and never drawn a single tag...while I'm not a statistical genius I can guess that the odds of this ADF&G employee getting 3 in a row a pretty slim even on a high draw odds hunt...or is the deck stacked?

A simple check on ADF&G's website reveals Mr. Sinnott won:
    2005 DS111
    2006 DS119
    2007 DS120

The system needs to be exposed, the system needs to be changed.

IMO permit winners should not be allowed to apply for a given species the year following a win, and winners should only be allowed only 1 win per year for all species...why should any one hunter be allowed 2 or more "gravy" permits in a given year when so many others get nothing?

We both know what my opinion is worth.

Default He drew ewe tags!

I would be more concerned that out of 13 tags in the 14c NE hunts over half went to non-resident hunters! The average Joe Alaskan does not have much of chance to get a permit let alone compete with the guides, packers ect. We need to limit the number of non-resident permits for sheep as we do for other game.

Default Be thankful...

I suggest we be thankful that the biologist managing the area will be hunting the area. Aerial surveys, talking with hunters and statistical reviews of hunter data are all important, but boots on the ground, rifle in hand gives a biologist real depth of understanding. Rick is an outstanding biologist, and we are lucky to have him working here in Anchorage.

The key to drawing permits is to apply, apply, apply. People are just lucky sometimes, but I think if it were possible to see the full story, we'd find that "lucky" winners are those who invest a LOT in the permit drawings.

David

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Ranger Rick scores again??? Is this guy is extremely lucky or is the system rigged? What are the odds? Anyone here ever won 3 years in a row?

I want an audit.

I also want a permit.

Default ????

Not disagreeing with your other points, but what does it mean to invest a LOT in the permit drawings? How much more can you invest than putting your name in as many times as possible, which a lot of people do. Are you saying because he does a lot to manage game, he has a better chance of winning?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default Permits

While this isn't always the case, generally the guys getting tags year after year are the guys who put in for tags that few apply for.

Others are just lucky. I myself am lucky I dont need a draw tag to hunt.

The point system like other states would be nice, however if you have for example a 5% chance to be drawn this year and Rick gets drawn three years in a row yes he is lucky 3 times. We all only wish we could be that lucky, each year the odds for him are the same as the odds for us. Point system does work, it makes your odds better the longer you are in without something like that we (non-lucky applicants) will continue to have the same odds as the lucky applicants. But if I were Rick I would buy lottery tickets and be thankful there was no point system. BTW I do not know Rick, only wish I were as lucky as him.

Default 5%?

Those permits had between 12-25% draw rates.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Default LOT

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    Not disagreeing with your other points, but what does it mean to invest a LOT in the permit drawings? How much more can you invest than putting your name in as many times as possible, which a lot of people do. Are you saying because he does a lot to manage game, he has a better chance of winning?
    My meaning is that those people who make a lot of applications are generally the most successful, whether they are ADFG staff or others.

Having worked in the Anchorage ADFG office, I know something of how the drawing system is organized. Rick has nothing to do with the drawing process.

David

Those are three separate tags. I have heard a rumor that if you put in for a drawing and actually make a kill, you have a better chance to draw another tag. Granted this is rumor and most likely not true, but I know of a friend that has drawn several different tags and that is his rationale for it. I didn't get to put in for any tags this year since I won't be able to hunt due to changing assignments. I did draw DM779 last year and it was my first year applying for any permit. I did kill one on that permit and the year before I killed a cow on the registration permit in 20A. I hope to put in for some next year possibly, but I don't know if I will be around.

Default I agree with gutpile

I think (gutpile) is spot on with his solution!

A friend from work just found out that his family of 5 just drew 5 moose tags. Isn't that crazy? What the hell is a family of 5 going to do with all this meat? Maybe I will be kissing his $#^&%&& this year with hope of being thrown a bone.

While I was in the military I new a guy that drew 5 tags in one year (elk, buffalo, sheep, goat and caribou). He mentioned the ticket to his sucess was to put DR. in front of his name. He did it for 4 years and drew every year.

I tried this in Oregon and it worked the one and only time I did this. I was told they like the out-of-state money! I am going to both next year. I will use my parents address and become a DR by next year.

By the way, I moved up here in 88 and have put in every year and drawn 3 tags total.

For those of you complaining about this, how many consistently put in for ewe tags? Very few hunters do, as there is virtually no trophy quality and there is half as much meat. My wife usually puts in for two ewe tags, but I don't personally know any other hunters who do. Personally, I'm glad to see the guy got lucky again. He has one of the most thankless jobs around and is always being accused of something by whatever user group isn't happy with his decisions. Luck happens - good for him!

Default the real issue here is fairness not luck

OK, I started this so let me get us back on track.

Ranger Rick is a good guy, period. Nothing against Rick. Hell, I wish he'd have won a permit to bag half a dozen east Anchorage gang members too...the same crowd that tried to bag him last year. I do disagree with those that think he has a tough job at ADF&G...in my eyes he has the best job in Alaska. Sleep in a tent? No, after chasing critters all day in the Anchorage bowl, he goes home and jumps on the Beauty Rest mattress. Gets a shower every morning...Starbucks coffee if he wants...and it's off to protect Anchortown idiots from its original inhabitants. I want Rick's job...several here do too.

Call me jelious, whatever. My basic question here is why should some folks draw the gravy tags year after year, and others go without? I don't care if it's a ewe tag, don't care if it's a marrmot tag...every Tom, Dick, & Rick should have the same opportunity to light one off at a live critter via one of these gravy hunts. If a guy draws one year, why not let him sit out the species draw the next year? Nothing prevents him or her from playing the harvest ticket game the the rest of the unlucky types. If Rick or Roxy draws 2 tags in a single season, isn't it fair to make them pick the best tag and let the other(s) go back to another hunter?

Question explain please?

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    After reading some of these posts, I have the impression that a person can apply an unlimited amount of time for a species...Is this correct, or did I miss something? I can't imagine this to be true, but who knows. Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default gutpile...

you have every opportunity to be just as "lucky" as the next guy!

Life's not fair boys. You pay your dime and take your chances and every year you hear the ones that didn't win complain and want a new system. A guy call me this morning to complain that him and his brother didn't get a permit. I had to remind him about his hunting season last year when he got a TMA permit and a Kodiak bear permit.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    ...the real issue here is fairness not luck....
    What isn't fair about a general drawing?

....Ranger Rick is a good guy, period. Nothing against Rick. Hell, I wish he'd have won a permit to bag half a dozen east Anchorage gang members too...the same crowd that tried to bag him last year....
    He fares well with the Anchorage population. I was elated when he threatened to whip some behind over that waste thing (which he was thoroughly castigated for by the ADN).

....I do disagree with those that think he has a tough job at ADF&G...in my eyes he has the best job in Alaska. Sleep in a tent? No, after chasing critters all day in the Anchorage bowl, he goes home and jumps on the Beauty Rest mattress. Gets a shower every morning...Starbucks coffee if he wants...and it's off to protect Anchortown idiots from its original inhabitants. I want Rick's job...several here do too.....
    I think his job is among the most difficult of all area biologists.

Among biological entities, the vast majority of those he deals with are human, which are very difficult to predict, are very dangerous, and who will gladly cut your throat.

....why should some folks draw the gravy tags year after year, and others go without?...
    Because they apply regularly?

....I don't care if it's a ewe tag, don't care if it's a marrmot tag...every Tom, Dick, & Rick should have the same opportunity to light one off at a live critter via one of these gravy hunts....
    They do. It's a general draw.

....If a guy draws one year, why not let him sit out the species draw the next year? Nothing prevents him or her from playing the harvest ticket game the the rest of the unlucky types. If Rick or Roxy draws 2 tags in a single season, isn't it fair to make them pick the best tag and let the other(s) go back to another hunter?
    Let's get down to the nitty-gritty, shall we?:

People can't stand when somebody else "gets over". Even with a general draw, there are complaints like this. It's bullspit. Some folks can never be satisfied. No wonder the subsistence scenario is so poisonous, and it illustrates the fact that it's very existence is because some folks can't be satisfied.

Are you stating that there is some corruption with the draw? If so, please present your evidence.

If you don't have any, you're blowing toxic smoke.

Default some people seem to have the luck...or not

I have friend, born and raised here, put in for TMA and DCUA for 25 years before he finally got DCUA. I accompanied him on that hunt. Last year was the first year myself and and another friend put in for DCUA and TMA. Well, last year I was one of the lucky ones, first year to apply and I we it (got our rams too!). Oh, and he has been putting in for Bison for over 15 years and still has not got one. Luck of the draw... or not....

And, currently it is setup that you cannot put in for the same permit for some of the draws if you got one the year before. TMA and DCUA. I drew DCUA walkin last year and therefore could not put in for it this year. However I could put in for the motor in hunt. No luck though...

I ran into a lady this winter who has drawn DCUA 9 times! She drew it 6 years in a row before they changed the rule. She said it was becuase of her that they changed it. She has since drawn it 3 times. Who knows, maybe 4 now. She has been putting in for about 20 years.

9 times for what I considered a once in a lifetime hunt?! wow
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For those of you complaining about this, how many consistently put in for ewe tags? Very few hunters do, as there is virtually no trophy quality and there is half as much meat.
    I think you're spot on Brian.

I pay my $15 and put in for a ram tag and two ewe tags every year. I've drawn one ram tag and two ewe tags in the last four years. That's right. Three tags in four years.

My first hunt was a brutal ten day solo hunt on a ram/ewe tag. I packed out a ewe I took on the last day and was glad to have the opportunity to spend time in sheep country and put meat in the freezer.

My second hunt was easier, and with a partner. But I think I thought that since it was a ewe only hunt that it would be a cakewalk. Well, as much of a cakewalk that a sheep hunt can be. We saw plenty of ewes, but they were all hanging out just outside of the permit area. So, no harvest, but still got to spend time in sheep country learning the ways of the high mountain ghost.

I got another ewe permit this year for an October hunt. I'm sure that weather will be a factor this year, but I think I'll be be better prepared mentally and hopefully I'll return with meat for the freezer.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Re Mark

The "nitty-gritty"...
    Until the current "system" is revised, I will continue to call "bullspit".

"Are you stating that there is some corruption with the draw? If so, please present your evidence..."
    You sound like an ADF&G type or 2007 winner defending this broken system. Perhaps you like Ranger Rick draw more often than the majority here? How did you do this year? Maybe you or others here (Mr. Johnson) familiar with the programs logic can point out how it works to us not on the payroll. I'm wondering what type of internal stats ADF&G has on draw success rates. What's the percentage of individuals applying for 10 or more years that have never drawn? Prove that this is a fair system and I'll go away. Maybe the answer is to change this from a lottery to points system. Tier II...I'm not going there.

"If you don't have any, you're blowing toxic smoke..."
    Still fishing...feel free to continue with the smoke on your end.
    XOX gutpile

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast