Thread: Action in 15c

Default Action in 15c

I've just had my bait out for a week now and haven't got hit. Using jello and sugar flavored popcorn with some anise scent yoyos hanging around. I figure I'm still kinda early in the area but was wondering if any body on the southern kenia is getting action at their site. Also I'm thinking about ordering a be907 scent ball to help broadcast my location but can't decide between anise and blueberry or should I just hang both flavors there

Have two sites active in southern kenai. If your sites have only been out a week and you specially if it is a new site. Not uncommon to not have any action. My sites have been in since April and they are established sites.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I got some action at the site,now it's time to hunt.

First try loading pics. Got this brownie hitting my bait,any one wanna guess his size.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You got any more photos of that bear.......??? If you use the 55 Gallon Drum for reference, it will surely make a nice trophy. Any good crisp front paw prints........??? Does not appear to be rubbed on the photo side. Not outstanding coloration, but attractive. That color appeals to my taste over a totally DARK chocolate coloration.

I'd say a high 8' bear. Maybe a small 9'.
    I had the nasty boar bait ball from
    Be907 and the grizzlies climbed up about 12' into a tiny spruce just to tear it down!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Here's the other pic I got. Looks like a serious bruiser to me. I've been having a lot of brownies hit my bait,some nice looking ones with this being the biggest. I would be inclined to take one but with salvage requirements I'm not sure what I would do with the meat.

Real nice looking blonde fur on this one. That's the one I'd like to see as a rug. I've gotten a bunch of black bear pics but nothing special

That is a far better photo for judging size.......Just shoot it.......or get someone else to shoot it. Look at how small the head is, in relation to the body, look at how tall the bear is in relation to the with of the barrel, look at the neck is as long as the head, but the neck is full, and not skinny. Look at how many times the length of the head can be divided into the overall length of the body. (Use the head as a measuring tool.

Just be sure it is that bear
    if you shoot and not one that is the same color but much smaller. I promise that if you are there and see that bear walk, you will be stunned at how Ponderously it walks, it will rock from side to side looking like it might tip over. That bear is big, but it is NOT an OLD bear. Just make that bear dead and then worry about the salvage. And, I thought they eliminated the meat salvage requirement for baited bears...That is a chubby bear for early June.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGarcia View Post
    Here's the other pic I got. Looks like a serious bruiser to me. I've been having a lot of brownies hit my bait,some nice looking ones with this being the biggest. I would be inclined to take one but with salvage requirements I'm not sure what I would do with the meat.

You no longer have to salvage the meat, just changed this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Real nice looking blonde fur on this one. That's the one I'd like to see as a rug. I've gotten a bunch of black bear pics but nothing special

The blond bear is not very big.......see the short space or distance between the front and back leg, look at the distance on the second photo of the BIG bear and by comparison how far it is between the front and back leg. Nice color with blond body and dark chocolate lower legs. Just not big, Also notice the length of the neck in relation to the length of blondes head. it is healthy, where the bear squatting at the barrel might be sickly or injured, very skinny considering it still has fur and not bald.

I like that the blonde bear isn't huge,all the taxi shops I've talked to charge by the foot. The bear at the barrel is a thin bear for sure. After searching through the reg book I'm more confused,if somebody could point me where to read about not being required to salvage brown bear meat I would be very grateful.

I like that the blonde bear isn't huge,all the taxi shops I've talked to charge by the foot. The bear at the barrel is a thin bear for sure. After searching through the reg book I'm more confused,if somebody could point me where to read about not being required to salvage brown bear meat I would be very grateful.
    Page 5 under new regulation changes: "All units open to brown bear baiting, the edible meat of brown bears taken at a bait site does not need to be salvaged."

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    Page 5 under new regulation changes: "All units open to brown bear baiting, the edible meat of brown bears taken at a bait site does not need to be salvaged."
    Is this due to the palatability of the meat or is there a parasite issue?
    All paradise rests in the shadow of swords." ~K. Yates

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Tenderfoot View Post
    Is this due to the palatability of the meat or is there a parasite issue?

The short answer is.......it is not due to either of the points you offer, That said bear meat should be well cooked, the drop of the requirement was in no way related to the taste or quality or safe consumption of the brown bear meat, assuming properly cooked.

The reason the requirement was dropped, is that it was not needed any longer. It had served it's purpose. Which was to appease the opposition to harvesting Brown Bears over bait stations. Sometimes to get regulations shifted you have to give a little something to get what you want.

From the hunters prospective this is a sport hunting opportunity. from the game management prospective it is a population management tool. Hunters should understand that where-as this is a management tool, it can, and most likely will end or be modified at some future point.

Can't believe I missed that in the books,so ridiculous. Thank you johnny_reb

So, did you take a Bear ?

Been meaning to report but life got busy. Once the site started getting hit it was a challenge to keep bait in the barrel. I ended up taking 2 really tasty blacks off my site,one 6 foot and one 4 foot both boars. Next year I may take a brownie since that seams to be what's eating most of my feed. This website is full of great information and my advice to any other beginner would be to do what I did and read through every thread on the baiting forum and gather as much knowledge as you can than figure out how to apply it to your area.
    I'm definitely hooked and will be back at it next year.