Thread: DM769 - Central Tanana Flats Any Bull permit

Arrow DM769 - Central Tanana Flats Any Bull permit

I'm looking for any information on hunting in this area. What to expect on the Rex trail and any other information that may be useful. Thanks

Thumbs up Congrat's

Out of the 4 people in our "usual" hunting group; 2 of us drew DM769 and one drew DM771!!!!
    If you are going in on a four wheeler be prepared for mud and WATER. The Tat' and Totat' weren't to bad last year but I have heard they can be horrible. Keep in mind- If you go in on a good trail ( i use the term "good" very loosely), it does NOT mean you will be coming out on a good trail. After piles of fourwheelers, a few Track Rigs and a several trucks with chest high tires roll through; The trail isnt as........ well.... you get the picture.
    If you go to page 6 of the 06' huning pic's, post #109, you can see a bull from the same area that you will be going. Thats the most body fat I had ever seen on a moose.

Good Luck.

AND if you are going for meat,, double check,, but I beleive you can register for a cow tag in that area also. If you dont see a bull, you could still feel the freezer on the last day.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like your really going to work to get into that area. How many days of hard riding should I expect to get into the hunt area? Thanks again, Mike

Exclamation

I would think you could make it to the second river (start of DM769 hunt) in a full day of riding. We saw a fourwheeler make it to there while we were in there last year, (he did say he wouldnt shoot anything till he got further back to the truck though)
    It all depends on what you have been through in the past. We saw a couple people before the first river that were whinning about the trail. Then there were other people (in big trucks and Track rigs) that cruised on past the second river out of sight from us and never slowed down.
    Be picky about were you cross the rivers and dont dive off in stuff unless your sure of what is at the bottom. I went straight through everthing with my Track Rig and there were spots that the water was WELL OVER the tracks........ and fenders for that matter. Go around what you can and dont break anything. It is a long way out.

Default Track rig

I happen to to have a track rig for sale that would be good for this hunt check out the swap and sell section.

Yes the second river (Tatlanika) is doable in one day. If you are pulling trailers it will be a long day. We camped 2 miles past the Tat two years ago, but we were not pulling trailers and were told it was a dry year. One interesting thing we found was some of the people we met on the trail would lie about the conditions farther in. One group told us the Tat was almost impossible to get across on wheelers. A couple hours later we pulled up to it and laughed. Why do people have to be like that? Oh well. Another interesting trend we saw, the Tat was almost like a boundary where very few wheelers went past. Other than 2 wheelers, we only saw track rigs and argos with tracks past this point.

Default DM769 for 2008

It looks like the western boundary was changed to the Wood river from the Tat this year. Almost 50 miles of riding on the Rex by the map just to get to the unit!

Has anyone tried crossing the Tanana and riding in on the Bonnefield trail? Or jet boating up the Wood or various feeder creeks?

Anyone interested in a DM769 hunt this year!? I'm thinking of coming up from Juneau and trying out my new toys. A moose would be a huge bonus!

AND if you are going for meat,, double check,, but I beleive you can register for a cow tag in that area also. If you dont see a bull, you could still feel the freezer on the last day.
    Not true any longer ^^. Read the regulations, the hunt conditions have been changed. See page 91 Unit 20A.

As for access, I jet boat up the wood river quite a few miles with a small jet boat, 16foot jonboat and outboard. It is basicaly considered an airboat river but small jets can make it if you know how to read water well. It is very silty with numerous sandbars and shoals, winding. The mouth of the river is the toughest part, many take a look and never make the attempt. If you have a boat on par with say a Thunder Jet... leave it home or go someplace else, you will not get past the mouth. This is a small and shallow river.

If your only option is and ATV, I can't offer any help other than wish you luck making it 50+miles to get to the hunt zone.

The tanana river is bonafide prop water, if you have a larger or prop driven boat you may want to consider putting in at fairbanks and heading across the tanana to the north part of the 769 zone, don't forget to obtain a recreational access permit from the Army as you will be on Fort Wainwright military reservation land by any access route you choose. Also a Hunter Ed card is required.

Good luck on your hunt.

As previously mentioned, the DM769 southwestern boundry is now the Wood River, so instead of the 50 miles mentioned, it is actually closer to 65 miles, just to get to the Wood. Then, unless it is an unusually dry year you cannot get a wheeler across the Wood at that point. I am speaking from 25 years experience with that crossing area. I have seen a few try and the wheelers usually end up rolling down the river, sans driver.

The other problem with accessing 769 from that direction, by that method is keeping meat. If you were able to get across the Wood, and succcessful, there is no guarantee of getting back across the Wood. Last year it rained for four straight days, making it impossible to get across except for the very large rigs, and it was sporty even for them. Then, if it is a hot year, as it has been the first of the last couple of seasons out there, you will have trouble keeping meat, for the ride out on the Rex, that is severly rutted and in terrible condition.

An earlier post mentioned track rigs and buggys on the Rex. FYI, the DNR has restricted the Rex Trail to vehicles 1500lbs and less this year, but you can expect a LOT of 4 wheeler traffic.

Also, an earlier post mentioned picking up a cow tag, under the antlerless registration hunt. The entire 20A antlerless hunt has been severly cut back this season. The past 4 years they have tried to take about 650 antlerless moose from all of 20A. This year there will be only about 250 taken, and the areas for this take are going to be primarily in the southern portions of Zones 4 and 5 (roughly the southern portions of DM771 and 772, up in the hills).

Good luck, and have fun on your hunt.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation Rifle Maker. I remember hearing something a while back about them closing the REX to vehiclular traffic. Didn't know they put a weight limit on it. I dont hunt that area, so I havn't paid much attention to those specific's, but is nice to stay current on all the reg's incase someone I know needs the info. I own a quad, and it seems to me that I do more damage to trails than alot of the track rigs I've seen, so I wonder how they came to that conclusion. Better left for a different thread I'm sure, anyway, Regardless, most of the folks that I know that drew that tag go in from the east side by way of hauling quad in boat.

Default Boating the Tanana

There was mention that it is prop worthy waters, are people successful from the river or near by. Everything else written looks like 4-wheeler terrain. Would the odds be significantly reduced that you would see a bull if you stuck to the river? Is it even worth the effort?

Thanks for any advice, I drew the permit but it was in haste because I thought I was putting in for the Clear water Ck area. Oh well. I have a 20 ft 90hp boat that I use in PWS, any chance I could make it work?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

should be noted this is a two year old thread..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It might be 2 years old Vince, but I still would'nt try it with a prop above the mouth of the Chena. Its doable, but if you have not run it yourself, I would invest in a jet.

( that river changes every year )

Stick a jet on your motor and you should be fine if you know how to read the rivers.