Thread: rebarreling

Default rebarreling

I have been thinking for a while now about rebarreling my rem 700 308 to a differnt caliber but I want something bigger. Is this possible or is this one I would have to work down from? Not looking at doing any major work to make it happen. Thanks

Action length will determine OAL of your cartridge choices, but a competent gunsmith can rebarrel to any member of the 308 family. I've been shooting the 358 Winchester for a little over 30 years, and can certainly recommend it for "something bigger."

Default 308 or something bigger

You might also try the new Federal 338, the 308 case necked up to 338. It would work fine with 200-225 grain bullets and be a super compact elk getter with the 210 grain partition. Brass and dies are available and ammo will be on the shelf soon. Any of the 308 family will work fine but you can't really make any longer cartridge fir the short action. From the 22-250 to the 358 Win with a stop at just about every whole number, surely there is something you can use. Good shootin'.

Murphy

Default 308

Well, It can be done as others have suggested to the 338-08 or 358 Win. But, the 308 is near optimum, ballistically, as it is. It is an extremely well balanced cartridge. If the gun is not shooting well or if the barrel is eroded then go for it- otherwise I'd be less inclined to change. On rebarreling.... if you're going to spend 100-300 for the cheapest possible barrel and chambering re-do, you might consider going one step further regardless of caliber. The 700 is relatively easy to "blueprint" for those gunsmiths set up to do it. The extra money for the complete job may allow for the best possible outcome- longest accurate barrel life and most accurate rifle. A SS match barrel from Shilen or Krieger, etc., on a blueprinted action and reamer job, placed in a good stock is hard to beat! Regardless- good luck and good shooting

HuntingAK,

I understand where you are at; I'm always customizing Mausers into all sorts of configurations.

The thing to do when changing calibers is (as everyone is telling you) stay with the same case size or you will dramatically raise your bar on your budget.

Do a cost analysis, i.e. 1. Cost of new barrel, 2. Cost to remove/install new barrel, 3. Any modifications needed in stock if new barrel is a different diameter? 4. Shipping costs

Compared to: 1. cost of a new or used rifle in desired caliber

Buying a new, or nice used rifle in 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag (opt for Stainless Steel) would be a Very nice cal for Elk, Moose, Bear, anything in AK.

Personally I recommend a 458 Lott for Stray cats that urinate on your dock. Friday night this apple-headed mangy cat comes out of the woods and sprays my dock. The dogs alerted me to its presence. Like a minuteman, I run and grab the Ruger and drop three rounds of 510gr Hornadys. Mr. Cat by this time is way out on my dock and I can't get a clean shot - cat sprays another piling - that's it! Don't know where or how this cat found my place. How it got there, I don't know, but I know it's not pissing on anything else! I stealthy maneuvered down the dock to get a prone firing position with a clear shot as to not hit my dock.
    At 30yds, 8mph wind 55degrees and slight drizzle I blasted that apple-headed b@$t@rd with 1 shot to the neck that blew it's head CLEAN OFF and about 10ft out to the left. The torso spun about 2 1/2 turns and into the water.

If you have ever dreamed of owning a 458 Win Mag, Lott, 416 anything: Get one! If only to use on stray cats... Words can not describe the total devastation these rifles inflict at close ranges on these sadistic creatures!
    You can even hunt Bear, Moose, Buffalo, Musk ox, and even Polar Bears in Canada if you get up that way.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Quote Originally Posted by whateveri8
    HuntingAK,

I understand where you are at; I'm always customizing Mausers into all sorts of configurations.

The thing to do when changing calibers is (as everyone is telling you) stay with the same case size or you will dramatically raise your bar on your budget.

Do a cost analysis, i.e. 1. Cost of new barrel, 2. Cost to remove/install new barrel, 3. Any modifications needed in stock if new barrel is a different diameter? 4. Shipping costs

Compared to: 1. cost of a new or used rifle in desired caliber

Buying a new, or nice used rifle in 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag (opt for Stainless Steel) would be a Very nice cal for Elk, Moose, Bear, anything in AK.

Personally I recommend a 458 Lott for Stray cats that urinate on your dock. Friday night this apple-headed mangy cat comes out of the woods and sprays my dock. The dogs alerted me to its presence. Like a minuteman, I run and grab the Ruger and drop three rounds of 510gr Hornadys. Mr. Cat by this time is way out on my dock and I can't get a clean shot - cat sprays another piling - that's it! Don't know where or how this cat found my place. How it got there, I don't know, but I know it's not pissing on anything else! I stealthy maneuvered down the dock to get a prone firing position with a clear shot as to not hit my dock.
    At 30yds, 8mph wind 55degrees and slight drizzle I blasted that apple-headed b@$t@rd with 1 shot to the neck that blew it's head CLEAN OFF and about 10ft out to the left. The torso spun about 2 1/2 turns and into the water.

If you have ever dreamed of owning a 458 Win Mag, Lott, 416 anything: Get one! If only to use on stray cats... Words can not describe the total devastation these rifles inflict at close ranges on these sadistic creatures!
    You can even hunt Bear, Moose, Buffalo, Musk ox, and even Polar Bears in Canada if you get up that way.
    Next time I have a cat problem I will make sure I have a 458 lott! Thanks for the info everyone.

Concider the 350 mag. It will do a little better than the Whelan in a short action. It will require the bolt face to be opened up. Most will do this for an additional $50. Just a thought as they are making a come back.

Talking Sniper-Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by whateveri8
    Personally I recommend a 458 Lott for Stray cats that urinate on your dock.
    Is that what sniper-kitty is shooting? (Avatar)

Dave

A buddy sent me that picture because I "love" cats so much... Sniper-Kitty has an Accuracy International .308 Not sure what Sniper-Kitty's target is, but it appears to be an urban environment. We all know what evil is lurking in the minds of cats, so kitty with a gun can only mean one thing...something is getting sprayed
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default You cat hater!

The old saying is takes one to know one.

I once purchased 10 acres of very thick timber next to a 1000 acre nature perserve. The rest of the area was made up of corn, oat, alfalfa and soy bean fields. A near perfect enviroment for a few coveys of quail. So I bought several hundred of them and turned them loose. I fed them through the winter and worked the dogs on them just to break them into coveys and toughen their instinct against predators.

There was an abandoned house sitting in the timber on the backside of my property. Low and behold a beaner moved into it and brought 50 cats with him. With in 6 months 50 cats became a hundred cats. You can imagine what they were doing to the quail I was trying so hard to get started. Well the law caught up with Felix the beaner and he went up the river. However the cats remained.

As you would expect, I declared war. However they were multiplying faster than I could get rid of them. I was probably the only person for miles that had a gun that was distinguished as my cat gun. It was a Remington model 7 in 223. The little Hornady 50 grain sx bullets just tore em up. However it was like one guy waging war against an army. I had to get some help. My help came in the form of a 3 year old timberwolf. He was going to be put down because he hated smaller critters (like cats). I kept him at the house for a month just so we could become buds. He became very loyal to me and obeyed better than any dog that I had ever owned. After a month I took him to the timber. I took along an old pair of coveralls and layed them in a shaded downfall. I could go out there most anytime of day and he would be laying on those coveralls. However at night he was nowhere to be found. The next day his den under that downfall was littered with the rewards of his nightly hunts. He killed big cats, little cats pretty ones, mangy ones. He claimed them too...he didn't want me messing with them and I didn't push the issue. The cat population dwindeled in a mater of a month or so and my wolf was becoming more accustomed to his natural lifestyle. He was running out of cats and was now turning to raccoons, opossums and fox. So one morning I took a leash and a choke chain with me and after a little effort I coaxed him to let me put it over his head. I took him back to the house gave him a bath and reaquainted him with civilian life. Last I knew he was riding around the country in a Air Stream with a rough and tumble French Canadian that had retired from a career of climbing cross country highline poles!

The war wages on brother only on a little more low keyed scale than in my younger day! Aint it great!