Thread: Aqua 3190's

Default Aqua 3190's

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Aqua 3190's? Looking to put a decent pair on my 185 for a couple of seasons, then maybe something more expensive. There isn't too much information on them to be had. I saw where a couple of guys in Canada mentioned that they had a tendency to dig in the water on landing. Not much more than that. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Does anyone out there have any experience with the Aqua 3190's? Looking to put a decent pair on my 185 for a couple of seasons, then maybe something more expensive. There isn't too much information on them to be had. I saw where a couple of guys in Canada mentioned that they had a tendency to dig in the water on landing. Not much more than that. Thank you.
    ​Since they will add a few pounds to your C-185, are you sure they're big enough?

What did you end up doing? They weigh about the same as the EDO 2960s and supposedly they made two types of 3190s.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I bought the floats, refurbished them, and used them all last season. According to the Aqua folks, I believe they were built in 1966, or in that area. Although I had nothing to compare them to, they definitely did the job, at all weights. They had two small, pesky leaks, one on each side, which I got tired of pumping out. So I bit the bullet and ordered a set of Aerocet's for this year. With some bottom work, they would be a great set of floats.

Is there any truth to the rumor that they tend to dig-into the water on the nose-end. ??
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor that they tend to dig-into the water on the nose-end. ??
    If these are the models with the concave keels and individual water rudders, yes they do. I watched that happen at Lake Hood several years ago during an exhibition by a sales rep some years ago.

Like I said, I really had nothing to compare them to. I was always conscious of that, so never had a problem. But the few reviews I could find on them definitely mentioned that tendency.