Thread: My boat or an unknown charter? What to do....

Default My boat or an unknown charter? What to do....

My brother in law is coming up the first week of August. We'll be lookin for butts. I've only been on one charter, Reel Pleasure Charters No Excuses out of Valdez 3 years ago. He is booked, no surprise there and so is Orion. I know nothing about anyone else and info they provide is vague, SO to my point.

I have a 23' Bell Boy and I estimate it's range is about 70 - 80 miles so 45 - 50 miles round trip is most I would want to go. I don't know it's exact range because I never have ran it that far in one trip at crusin speed.

I fish for Silvers in Valdez and I'm familiar with PWS,but only fished for butts there once in my boat, with no luck. I have no idea where they are within my range. I'm not necessarily looking for huge ones so size isn't a factor as much, 30#-80# will work, as staying within my range.

If I can't get any within my range at Valdez, I am open to Seward or Whittier.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated, more so for my brother in laws enjoyment than mine, cause I can always go back later.

Happy Fishin.......

For the range you have, I would personally shoot for halibut out of Homer. You can get into good halibut fishing within 15-20 miles of port. Otherwise, Seward for silvers would be a good bet as well, but if it is halibut you're looking for, it's hard to beat Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    For the range you have, I would personally shoot for halibut out of Homer. You can get into good halibut fishing within 15-20 miles of port. Otherwise, Seward for silvers would be a good bet as well, but if it is halibut you're looking for, it's hard to beat Homer.
    I have never fished out of Homer or Seward. Any suggestions on where to go?

Thanks for the tip...

Default Homer Halibut

Call up North Country Charters in Homer. They have 3-4 boats and are very good. The last 2 times I went with them I caught Halibut and silvers. Bring your silver rod. BC

Second Homer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Re: North Country Charters

Thanks for the tip. It's appreciated especially since I don't know anything about Homer.

Quote Originally Posted by chinookee2004 View Post
    Call up North Country Charters in Homer. They have 3-4 boats and are very good. The last 2 times I went with them I caught Halibut and silvers. Bring your silver rod. BC