Thread: Dm797

Default Dm797

About time I got a permit, after a 6 year dry spell, now I could use some help, got DM797, up by Delta Thanks Steve

This should be an interesting one. 540 permit holders, and not all that many access points in the unit (that I'm aware of). I don't know the area that well either, but my wife, sister, mother, and close friend all drew this hunt, so I'll be hunting it pretty hard in October. Can't wait to explore a new area!

Default Good Luck

My buddy and I drew the same one, 540 is a crap load of hunters, not that many access points/ most envolve crossing military land so hope you have your hunters ed out of the way. Nomally lots of snow by Oct 1, Ive been in that area a lot over the years which I hope to take advantage of.

Default military land

I also drew the tag and I thought the non military side of the house could not access the military land without the conservation permit ? I have spent a very long time up there and no some excellent areas for a cow. hopefully the snow and weather will shove some people away from hunting that time of the year. Good luck all

I hunt in that area a lot and there isn't usually much snow by October 1st. Maybe by November 1st, but not October 1st. There's also plenty of country to hunt on and off Military land. If you dont have the hunter ed cert, there's plenty of state land.

Default I to

hunt that area a lot, lots of animals if you know where to look. getting into that area means crossing military land except Coal Mine Rd. If you have your Hunters Ed card, just go by the Ft Greely provost office and you can get a pass in order to access the area via military land. In my experience snow is an issue by oct first. Once in a while snows come late but expect to need a snow machine for this hunt, or a ATV with chains will work

I drew this tag as well, and I agree 540 hunters is a whole bunch. I know this area very well, but with so many tags issued its gonna be interesting.

I've been bear hunting the last 5 Octobers in that area. I usually go sometime between the 7th to 15th of OCtober. I dont think I'll be heading that way this year. It wont be quite so peaceful anymore. There hasn't been any snow during that time frame the last 5 years. At least not enough to be worried about. There is also some decent access points off the Alaska highway that get you into the area where a military permit is not needed.

Default map

Anyone know where you can get a map of military lands for this permit? I called both bases and got a lot of phone tag but had no luck.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Solly they hand em out at the DNR offices on both posts, they are little color coated maps. Dont know how you would get one sent to you though.

Wink 797 Secret

Hi all, 1st let me say congrats to you all. My wife and I are Delta Residents and we both drew too - I wouldnt normally tell you all ththese secrets but hell we will all be out there togeather so here goes..
    1st you must must make lots of noise while hunting and push them towards my wife and I.
    2nd drive very large trucks around the hunting area
    3rd wear a blind fold once in your stand..

Well thats enough for now, maybe i'll share a few more as we get closer..
    Congrats again!

Hunt Safe.

Dave

Default Rough Crowd

Man, I thought i'de get a least one laugh out of that..
    Seriously, Access into area is abundant.. between Google Earth and a Milepost you shouldnt have a problem identifying the numerous access points off the ALCAN and the Richardson. I would not bank on hunting the military land via 33 mile loop ( Jarvis Creek) / Fort Greely area.. 33 Mile Loop is expected to be closed during the general season due to the "NEW" huge Stryker Brigade Range Complex currently under contruction. I would expect that to carry through as long as temps support this. Call Mr. Hadx (USRAK DNR) @ 873-1616 for updated Greely access information and access permits.
    They also have some low grade maps as some where looking for. Look at pipeline access and communication tower maintenance roads - dont forget your pipeline permit though - they do patrol sporadically. Hunt area is quite large and extends south all the way down alittle past Black Rapids so lots of area.. Sorry for sarcacism up front.. just get fruststrated year after year when out of town folks show up in my sandbox and take advantage of road system to the point that they drive they're big vehicles all around on what local use atvs on, then on top of that they want to talk so loud you can hear them a 1/2 mile away. I wouldnt care but my wife and I have had numerous situations ended because of these jokers.. Well good luck, and try to not be so serious out there..

Hunt Safe

Dave

Dave,
    You forget to mention that they need to leave/forget their bullets in camp!

Default ...or...

Quote Originally Posted by emrdux View Post
    Dave,
    You forget to mention that they need to leave/forget their bullets in camp!
    Or reload and forget to put primers in the cases.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3