Thread: Installer recommendations to make pickup camper ready (ANC)

Default Installer recommendations to make pickup camper ready (ANC)

I have recently found a slide in camper to buy. I will carry it on my 2010 long bed F350. I am in Germany currently and won't be back until the end of June. I need to get camper tie down mounts installed and possibly axle air bags. If I were home and had time I would install myself. However will be back at hight of season and want to hit the ground running. I intend to have a friend take the pickup in for me. Looking for recommendations about shops that do this work in the ANC and Mat-su areas.
    -Tim

Try AK Performance RV, http://alaskaperformancerv.com/, or Karen's RV.

The shop will need to know what camper you will be installing, if it's a Lance they have a proprietary plug that is different from a normal plug that everyone else uses.

Default Cache Camper in the valley

Cache Camper, Larry is great.
    Its what he does.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thank you all. I did contact Karen's and they referred me to AK Performance. And of course, forgot about Cache (been gone too long) will contact him.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MORSNO View Post
    The shop will need to know what camper you will be installing, if it's a Lance they have a proprietary plug that is different from a normal plug that everyone else uses.
    Indeed it is a Lance. Thank you for the tip. I did not know.
    -Tim

AK Performance does good work and Tim is a great guy. Plus they do military discount on parts.

As a suggestion I would go with the frame mounted attach points vice the cheaper rear bumper/ front of the bed ones. Air bags really helped a lot on my single rear axle F-350 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    As a suggestion I would go with the frame mounted attach points vice the cheaper rear bumper/ front of the bed ones. Air bags really helped a lot on my single rear axle F-350 as well.
    Agree on the frame mounts. I had a slide in on an F250 several years ago with the bumper points and front bed plate mount. The tie down chains would occasionally pop off on rough roads. That rig didn't handle Petersville very well. I want the bags but I might defer that cost until later. Will see how it rides. The frame mounts and ties downs alone are spendy. Both Cache and AK Performance are quoting nearly the same prices. I can get them online for a bit less but can't find anyone that ships free to AK. I know, big surprise.
    -Tim

I'm going with Cache. They will sell me the mounts outright and I'll install those myself. I found install instructions. No drilling because they just clamp on to the frame. Looks gravy. Cache will install the electric cable.
    -Tim

If you have an F-250 with a hitch, I would buy 2" square steel tubing. Grind the radius off of the corners about 6" and hammer them into the holes in the hitch. then drill and tap a hole in the hitch up into the tubing and secure. On the outside ends install 3/8" bolts and run the tiedowns down to them. Truck bumpers today are mostly ornamental and will twist on bumpy roads like the Haul Road or the Alcan. I did this on mine and it worked like a champ.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    If you have an F-250 with a hitch, I would buy 2" square steel tubing. Grind the radius off of the corners about 6" and hammer them into the holes in the hitch. then drill and tap a hole in the hitch up into the tubing and secure. On the outside ends install 3/8" bolts and run the tiedowns down to them. Truck bumpers today are mostly ornamental and will twist on bumpy roads like the Haul Road or the Alcan. I did this on mine and it worked like a champ.
    The rear mounts I am getting mount to the frame as well. I like your idea. If I had the time, I'd consider. Do have a picture of your setup?
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    The rear mounts I am getting mount to the frame as well. I like your idea. If I had the time, I'd consider. Do have a picture of your setup?
    Sold that rig. For the front I had piece of 3/8" x 4" HRS with L brackets to the frame in the bed. Nothing moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Sold that rig. For the front I had piece of 3/8" x 4" HRS with L brackets to the frame in the bed. Nothing moved.

I'm the one who bought Dave's truck, here are a few pics of what he is talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fishtraphuntalaska1984 View Post

I'm the one who bought Dave's truck, here are a few pics of what he is talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Now that is awesome. Thanks for posting. I hit a frost heave on the Dalton with the camper on. Mounts stayed put, one tiedown on camper not so much. Ripped it right off of the camper. We pulled into Coldfoot and found some dunnage to block the camper in. A couple of ratchet straps over the top and we went on to our caribou hunt. Never give up, never surrender.