Thread: Curing Roe

Default Curing Roe

Hey caught 2 nice hens on the Deshka this past weekend and would like to cure the eggs for upcoming Silver fishing. Problem is everytime I try to cure the eggs I mess something up. Does anyone out there have a tried and true method they wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks in advance.

Default Egg cure

Aw yes, the guide's closely guarded secret.... Actually, curing eggs is very simple. Though there are a multitude of options available, my preference is the commercially available pro-glow cure. You can buy it at most sporting goods shops. It comes in a shaker bottle.

Here is the method:

1. Cut the sceine into "bite sized" pieces and put in a bucket
    2. Sprinkle the Pro-Glow (or Pro-Cure, or whatever) on the eggs
    3. Roll the eggs around in the bucket so that the cure is evently dispersed
    4. Sprinkle more of the cure and repeate step 3 until the eggs reach the desired color.
    5. spread the eggs out on a mesh to set up for about 8 hours (over night) in a cool dark environment.
    6. Turn the eggs over and allow to dry for another 8 hours
    7. Place in a zip-loc bag (size to accomodate 1 day of fishing) and use immediately or freeze.

You will want to be cautious with the cure chemicals... they will permanently stain your clothing and semi-permanently stain your hands. I use latex gloves to handle the eggs and the cure.

Good luck.

Thumbs up Cured Roe

Thanks, I do have the pro-cure so I'll give this a try. One more thing if you don't mind. I'm in the middle of smoking some fish so is there a problem if I keep the eggs in the fridge until tomorrow evening? Thanks again.

Be sure to cut off any bloody eggs, and strip or bleed any bloody viens.

Default Simple Yet Effective

I have cut the sacks into small chunks and I have cured entire sacks. I prefer cutting the sacks into small managable pieces. Also it makes it much easier to handle when your out fishing.

I cure the eggs with kosher salt and sugar on both sides. Just sprinkle some on and coat it nicely, but do not over do it. Let it sit outside for a cople of days until the outlayer is firm, be careful not to over dry them. And remember to flip them atleast once about half way through the curing process. Then I put them into small re-sealable containers and throw them in the freezer.

Alaska fishing guide has got every step except the most inportant one,you need to let the eggs soak in the brine for about 8 to 12 hrs give or take,then you can put them out on mesh for the final drying....if you don't have the time there are a few short cuts that work real well, 1. bleed the fish,you don't want blood in your eggs.2.Keep eggs cool,on ice shortly after the kill,3 cut eggs into bite size pieces,4. get a large ziplock bag and put 1/2 cup of pro cure etc..or more depending on how many eggs you have then add eggs and roll around,add more cure as needed. 5. ask wife if you can store in fridge. 6.wait 2 days and you've got some great eggs that are ready to fish. nice and firm to the touch,ps. you can leave them in the fridge for several weeks without harm,then you can roll them to the freezer......good luck

Default Egg cure

Like I mentioned, there are an infinite number of ways to cure eggs. I didn't forget any steps for the way that I cure eggs. If you read the directions on the back of the container, it will direct you to let the eggs soak in the brine and in the fridge in a zip lock, as stated above. Nevertheless, the steps I listed above are proven and effective (and less messy, does't require fridge space for curing).

There are many other kernels of information listed that are crucial to quality eggs: immediately after killing the fish, cut a gill and allow the fish to bleed out. Clean the fish as soon as practical, harvesting the eggs first. Keep cool, on ice or in the fridge until you can process the eggs. Because of circumstances (i.e. swampped fishing schedule), I have reluctantly waited up to 2 days to cure the eggs... turned out ok but the sooner the better.

Default Cured Roe

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully they will be done so I can get the wife on to some Kings this weekend. Tight lines all.

I am surprised no one else uses the sugar/salt cure. It has never failed me, and works quite well with the fish. Also if you cut your pieces into chunks the sack seems to stay together on the hook better.

Default Borax

Borax and Jello haven't been mentioned either. We have used this method for around 30 years now and it works great. The Borax cures the eggs, and the Jello stains them to hold their color and adds some scent. This year I have gone to Pro-cure and have had good results. I'm not very impressed with the pink stain that everything has afterward, but the eggs seem to hold their color and attract fish well. Pro-cure is very simple too.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Eggs To Cure

I will only cure red and silver salmon eggs. The eggs from red salmon are already brite red and single eggs that? make up the roe are small enough to help keep the clump on a hook. The silver salmon eggs give a nice orange glow and are just a tad bigger than silver eggs. Overall, I prefer the red salmon eggs over any other fish. The Kings usually have a lot of roe but I dont like how large the eggs are. They still work though.

LMAO who has cured chum salmon eggs I am not too hot on the pink dye either.