Thread: grumman square stern

Default grumman square stern

just picked up a grumman square stern with a 91/2 evinrude. the motor was made in 1972 and the guy says it is a great running motor. was wondering if anyone can tell me about the engine and good rivers to hunt up up north for caribou moose and griz.

Default Canoe

all rivers are great, some are better than others, going up rivers are better the frist time as you can always get back, you did not say if it had a motor lift on it an if it does what type, there are some that are just so so ,an others that are real good, when I was doing it on a regular bases I would have at least 3 props with me depending on the water I was on, as to what prop I would use, when I was running real shallow water I would use the one that was beatup the worse, also do you have a tiller extenation for the handle, an has the motor ben fixed so the motor will come up [tilt] so when you come across a sand bar ,log, or rock , going down stream the motor will not stop you most people get there places to go an don't pass it out, don't want more people in there.
    MY 2 CTS. SID

Default have all that

i have a lift dont know what type it came with an extension, i am having persingers look over the engine and i am working right now to get a rockhopper, i understand and realize about the hunting areas was really looking for info on what rivers people have already been up with a similiar setup as mine. the lift looks homemade all i can tell about it is it has a bunch of notches and is springloaded but i gues it describes most of the lifts out there. anyhow thanks for responding. appreciate all the info i can get

Default Canoe

The lift you discribe is not the best but it will work as for the rock hopper I am not sold on them I have had a few of them an I gave them up, I still have a stainless one in the back yard that I dont use have tried 3 different ones none work like I wan't it to I just figurad I would use up props as I go an I do .
    There is a few things that you mite do to help if it is a 19 FT unit, you will want to stand up to run, [can't see in front of canoe sitting down ]an you will need something to help stabilize you when you do it, one hand on the gas, the other on the boat, some thing to hold on to, as your lift don't have a handle to lift eng. you will have to make something from the canoe to your other hand good luck if i can help drop me a PM take your unit to a lake an play around with it you can learn a lot by doing it. SID

Default Grumman square stern...Rockhopper.

Sid....

I'm sold on the Rockhopper. I wonder what you found about it that you don't like?

The rivers I travel on don't really seem to be very rocky, but are filled with submerged, waterlogged logs that are unseeable in the murky water. When I hit one, usually at 12mph+, it barely slows me down, and does no damage to the prop or lower end. I always carry a second prop, but have used the same aluminum prop for the last 3 years with virtually no wear. The only time the Rockhopper was a problem was at the mouth of the Wood River which is very shallow and silt filled. The wing on the bottom of the rockhopper would dig into the silt and anchor the canoe. The solution was easy...remove the Rockhopper before entering the mouth, and reinstall it once past the mouth. Only entering the mouth, not exiting, was a problem. The Rockhopper allows me to use the motor all the way down, at speed, with confidence that if I do hit something, it won't do any damage. It's really nice for easing the running motor over sunken logs when threading a way up a log jammed river.

Anyway, I'm curious about your experience.

I've got a 19 foot Gruman but no lift. I did have another many years ago with a lift and I took it all over. Tolovana, Yukon to the Dall, Hess Creek not to mention the lakes. I ran a Johnson 15 horse which is the same as the 9.9 but carburetted differently. I loved the lift and I too always carried several props along just in case.

One word of caution, be careful when you are by yourself as that is a lot of weight in the back with no ballast in the front and it will be pretty unstable and the bow will ride high out of the water. Also another thing is when pulling up to shore just nudge the shore and climb out. If you run the bow up on the shore too far it will roll over dumping you in the water if you aren't very careful as you only have the front on shore and a narrow back end.

It will haul a real nice big load and is a very fine piece of outdoor equipment.

Default Canoe

what CONTENDER said is true, one way to help this is to put ballast in front
    # 1 long gas hose to get it up front as far as you can.
    make shure no air in line, nothing will get your attenation any faster when on the river, than have the motor go dead, an you have to restart it, on long hoses it is bad, as on most the tanks today the hose comes off the tank an all the gas comes out [leaks] what I used for a long time was a good grade of clear plastic hose about 25 ft long
    # 2 use plastic jugs an use water [easy to come by]
    # 3 having a buddy along helps
    # 4 or all of the above
    on fishing trips it will be bad as no weight
    on huntung trips not so bad lots of weight
    SID

Default lift

Here is the lift you want, IMHO. Work well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up JKlingel Lift....

I have one of Mr Klingel's lift on my 19' Grumman....it's very well made and works beautifully. It's what you need. Then you need a "skirt" to close in the gap between the canoe and the lift when it's raised...and you're at speed.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...?t=5289&page=2

I posted a picture of the skirt on my 19'er with JKlingel lift on that thread, if a picture would help. Happy trails....

Default Rock Hopper

I HAPPEN TO KNOW WHERE ONE IS FOR A 10/15HP OMC if somone wants to talk about it PM me [ STANLESS STEEL ] SID

Please keep in mind that you can raise the transom 3"-4" prior to mounting a motor....for some rivers, that may be sufficient that a lift is not needed....15HP is on the high end of power and weight...IMO.....

Default Grumman

The lift it should take a 2X4 on the wide side laying on the canoe it works about the best for me, you will have a little problem on a tight turn out side of that it will work fine, bolt the 2x4 on to the canoe an seal the heck out of it, have it stick out the side about 1/2 to 3/4 inch on both sides, make shure that you teper the leading edge so it won't get caught, even then you will get a little water around the sides an over the top but not bad, take a sponge with you.
    SID