Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn Kaboat motor options?

Default Saturn Kaboat motor options?

I just purchased the Saturn Kaboat, 15’ HD Alaska Series andit should be here soon. Currently I own a6hp Tohatsu with 15” shaft and was planning on using that motor on theKaboat.I would see my primary use ofthe Kaboat to be in the Minto Flats area, the Chena and some small streamfishing and hunting mostly in the Fairbanks and interior area.--I was wonderingif anyone was using a longtail mud motor on the Kaboat and if so how has thatbeen working out?I cansee several advantages running in shallow water with the longtail over theoutboard and was hoping for someone with a similar setup or experience to pointme in the right direction.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    I just purchased the Saturn Kaboat, 15’ HD Alaska Series andit should be here soon. Currently I own a6hp Tohatsu with 15” shaft and was planning on using that motor on theKaboat.I would see my primary use ofthe Kaboat to be in the Minto Flats area, the Chena and some small streamfishing and hunting mostly in the Fairbanks and interior area.--I was wonderingif anyone was using a longtail mud motor on the Kaboat and if so how has thatbeen working out?I cansee several advantages running in shallow water with the longtail over theoutboard and was hoping for someone with a similar setup or experience to pointme in the right direction.Thanks
    I
    I am kind of in your boat. I have a short shaft 7.5 mercury 2 stroke, and I am wanting either a long tail surface drive, or a 2.5 suzuki or a 9.9 4 stroke or a 15 hp 2 stroke...lol

One issue I think you may encounter is the bigger motor may cause some rear weight issues. I am looking at the 7 hpish predator surface drive with the mudskipper twister kit, but I am afraid it won;t be as fast as I want. Of course the 2.5 also wouldn't be fast, but it would be light, and quiet.

I have had my kaboat in very shallow water with the prop. I was happy with how shallow I could go with the motor. When it got really shallow, I just rowed or used my oars to push. couple of times, I even got out and walked in front of the boat and pulled by the anchor rope. Ankle deep and I was fine.

Thanks Youkon Cornelius, I was thinking of the small SwampRunner kits (6.5/7 hp) too. I havewatched several youtube videos like aknative1987 posted and think that may be ananswer.I’m not too worried about speedas long as I am making progress up stream, beats walking.I was hoping someone here in AK was already runningthe setup so I could learn from them.
    Did you lift your Mercury 7.5 any on the Kaboat any, if sohow much? Any pictures or video of yoursetup?
    That is good news on how shallow you have been going withthe prop. I was hoping to have one motor to do it allbut that may not be the answer. My Kaboat comes in today or tomorrow so the work willbegin. Thanks for the input and pleasekeep my posted on your progress and what direction you go.

Thanks aknative1987, that is the video that started me thingabout the mudmotor idea on the Kaboat. Iwas wondering how that setup would run up here in Alaska with all the rocky andsandy streams?

I bounce mine off rocks, logs, through sand, and am very happy. If the water floats the boat, I can get going, and if I'm already going I just need enough water to slide. I carry several spare props, smaller ones for pushing a load, bigger ones for pushing a light boat faster, and of course as spares in case I break one.

https://youtu.be/O0MI41bfz3g

height of motor will be 4 to 5.5 inch get a 4 inch one , try it in a lake , then add 1/2 inch at a time to get what you want , then get a new one at that height ,
    SID PS lots of extra props you will need them I think

Aknative1987, great video. I won’t be jumping any logs with the Kaboat, but that is good info on runningshallow.How much do spare propsgenerally cost for the Long tail?Istill have a lot to learn on reading rivers.

Thanks Sid. I'll be trying out the Kaboat out this weekend.

These aluminum props are very inexpensive.

https://mudmotorkit.com/parts/propellers.html

PS there is a man in Fairbanks has A rig like you want , he got a eng. in a kit form , as I understand he like it a lot works at the UAF the last I knew, try to "" google "" it, see what you come up with , SID

Quote Originally Posted by aknative1987 View Post
    I bounce mine off rocks, logs, through sand, and am very happy. If the water floats the boat, I can get going, and if I'm already going I just need enough water to slide. I carry several spare props, smaller ones for pushing a load, bigger ones for pushing a light boat faster, and of course as spares in case I break one.

https://youtu.be/O0MI41bfz3g
    Interesting
    I am now going to put this back on my list.
    How challenging was it to put together, and how is the fuel consumption?

I have a kaboat and a sport boat. I picked up the same long tail after I saw aknstive's video and it works great on the sport boat. But you should get the next size larger kit for the kaboat. It needs a little more power. However that long tail kit is the way to go.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Interesting
    I am now going to put this back on my list.
    How challenging was it to put together, and how is the fuel consumption?
    Very easy to assemble, trickiest part is getting the throttle linkage but they have very good directions. My 7 horse burns a gallon in about an an hour and 20 minutes if it's wide open throttle the whole time, but could last hours at varying speeds, kind of depends on boat and environment.

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I have a kaboat and a sport boat. I picked up the same long tail after I saw aknstive's video and it works great on the sport boat. But you should get the next size larger kit for the kaboat. It needs a little more power. However that long tail kit is the way to go.
    martyv-- What size motor are you running with you longtail? What size are you thinking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    PS there is a man in Fairbanks has A rig like you want , he got a eng. in a kit form , as I understand he like it a lot works at the UAF the last I knew, try to "" google "" it, see what you come up with , SID
    Thanks SID

Quote Originally Posted by aknative1987 View Post
    These aluminum props are very inexpensive.

https://mudmotorkit.com/parts/propellers.html
    That is not bad at all on cost, I could afford a few spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    martyv-- What size motor are you running with you longtail? What size are you thinking about?
    I have the small kit with a 7hp motor that I bought at AIH. It works great on the sportboat. But it's a little underpowered for the kaboat. I would get the medium kit and the 13 hp motor at AIH. It's easy to put together and fairly inexpensive.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I have the small kit with a 7hp motor that I bought at AIH. It works great on the sportboat. But it's a little underpowered for the kaboat. I would get the medium kit and the 13 hp motor at AIH. It's easy to put together and fairly inexpensive.
    Do you have any numbers on speed or is it just the overall running and handling that is underpowered? Any idea how much the medium kit/ 13 hp setup would weight? Do you think that may be too much on the transom of the Kaboat? I don't expect a lot of performance for the longtail with 7 hp but I am hoping its enough to get up stream with 400 lbs or so to fish or hunt and then run down stream to head home/ park area.

My guess was speed about 7 mph in kaboat. 2x that in sportboat. I think the kaboat can easily handle the larger motor. You will wish you had it going upstream.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast