Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 99 of 99

Thread: Saturn Kaboat motor options?

  1. #81
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Try this one. Attachment 95235 the straight piece is the cross piece for the front and the bent/welded one is the back. The side pieces no shown are about 10 feet long. They are together because of the jig I used for welding. It's about a 6 inch drop.

  2. #82

    Default

    This talk of porpoising on the Kaboat is perplexing to me. I have not experienced it. I keep the floor at 10 psi with a gauge, don't have a frame, and keep rain water drained. I guess i'll get the prop guard. Ah, spending money on boats this early in the year; I feel better already just thinking about it.
    RandyS

  3. #83

    Default

    Hydro- Shield acts like a Hydrofoil the stern lifts at speed, I have been using them on various boats for around 20 years.

    https://www.hydro-shield.com/

  4. #84
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Hydro- Shield acts like a Hydrofoil the stern lifts at speed, I have been using them on various boats for around 20 years.

    https://www.hydro-shield.com/
    . Looking at it I see it mounts differant too. It comes off the bottom of the skag. Mine mounts on the fins above the prop. I also made a prop guard that mounts on the bottom skag. Maybe I should mod it so it bends up a little. have to try it first. Open water can't get here fast enough.

  5. #85
    Member Amazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Try this one. Attachment 95235 the straight piece is the cross piece for the front and the bent/welded one is the back. The side pieces no shown are about 10 feet long. They are together because of the jig I used for welding. It's about a 6 inch drop.
    AK DUCKMAN, I can't see the attachment can anyone else?

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    No no no, no, no,

  7. #87

    Default

    Would a kaboat with a long tail motor be s good option to get up the placer river and the Twentymile River. Carmen river.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #88
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    AK DUCKMAN, I can't see the attachment can anyone else?
    . I tried taking them from my phone guess it didn't work. strange thing is I Could.

  9. #89
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    711

    Default

    I'll try again later.

  10. #90
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tchoutacabouffa View Post
    Would a kaboat with a long tail motor be s good option to get up the placer river and the Twentymile River. Carmen river.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What kind of speeds are you wanting to get? I think that is where most of us are pausing on the longtails, is speed.

  11. #91

    Default

    Enough speed to get upstream???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #92
    Member Amazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    32

    Default

    [QUOTE=tchoutacabouffa;1626470]Enough speed to get upstream???


    If you read the full thread that is debatable on what is enough. I am going to try out the long tail on the Kaboat this spring breakup and if I get 10 mph I will be happy and buy one. If I can get up stream at 6-7 mph by myself, fuel and camp then I think its worth it. But if someone is traveling say 70-100 miles up stream or they only have the weekends to hunt then for most people that's not fast enough. You also loose maneuverability with the long tail so on small streams that can quickly become an issue.

    So for me it will most likely be a good option (based on 10 mph) for many, probably not. I also have a 6 hp short shaft OB that I use now too. I want the long tail for the small / skinny waters to get away from everyone (if that's possible).

  13. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    [QUOTE=Amazer;1626486]
    Quote Originally Posted by tchoutacabouffa View Post
    Enough speed to get upstream???


    If you read the full thread that is debatable on what is enough. I am going to try out the long tail on the Kaboat this spring breakup and if I get 10 mph I will be happy and buy one. If I can get up stream at 6-7 mph by myself, fuel and camp then I think its worth it. But if someone is traveling say 70-100 miles up stream or they only have the weekends to hunt then for most people that's not fast enough. You also loose maneuverability with the long tail so on small streams that can quickly become an issue.

    So for me it will most likely be a good option (based on 10 mph) for many, probably not. I also have a 6 hp short shaft OB that I use now too. I want the long tail for the small / skinny waters to get away from everyone (if that's possible).
    Exactly!! I am waiting for your report. I know that my journey here I'd be happy with 10 mph but not 7 mph, unless I used the kaboat strictly as a shallow water craft (haul it in my bigger boat).

    I will be moving to the valley this summer, and I know that I will hunt out of the kaboat, until I buy another river boat.

  14. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tchoutacabouffa View Post
    Enough speed to get upstream???


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You will need to be a little more specific. Is that 5mph? or 10 mph?

    That is the million dollar question for all of us, what is that magic number?

  15. #95

    Default

    I am only familiar with the 20 mile river and it gets pretty swift further upstream. I would say that the 7hp longtail would be marginal for the swifter parts. I sold my longtail because it was really too slow. I might get a 13hp longtail at some point. I have 1974 25hp evinrude jet I'm going to try out this summer. We will see.... I know the 15hp 2 cycle evinrude works great but not shallow enough.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

  16. #96
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
    This talk of porpoising on the Kaboat is perplexing to me. I have not experienced it. I keep the floor at 10 psi with a gauge, don't have a frame, and keep rain water drained. I guess i'll get the prop guard. Ah, spending money on boats this early in the year; I feel better already just thinking about it.
    If you don’t keep enough air air pressure in the floor, the kaboat will porpoise.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

  17. #97
    Member Amazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    32

    Default

    [QUOTE=Amazer;1626486]
    Quote Originally Posted by tchoutacabouffa View Post
    Enough speed to get upstream???


    If you read the full thread that is debatable on what is enough. I am going to try out the long tail on the Kaboat this spring breakup and if I get 10 mph I will be happy and buy one. If I can get up stream at 6-7 mph by myself, fuel and camp then I think its worth it. But if someone is traveling say 70-100 miles up stream or they only have the weekends to hunt then for most people that's not fast enough. You also loose maneuverability with the long tail so on small streams that can quickly become an issue.

    So for me it will most likely be a good option (based on 10 mph) for many, probably not. I also have a 6 hp short shaft OB that I use now too. I want the long tail for the small / skinny waters to get away from everyone (if that's possible).
    Just and update. Last night I was able to get the Saturn Kabaot XL on the Chena River with aknative1987. Temple was nice enough to bring out his 7HP SwampRunner and we tried the setup out on the Kaboat. The motor weighted about 85 lbs so it was manageable for me to haul around 100 yards or more. Both Temple and I were in the boat so I figure 450 lbs or more total. The river was high and running fast but the SwampRunner managed 8.5 mph up river and 14 down river. So it averaged over 11 mph, not great but good enough for me. We did a couple of runs both up and down river and everything felt good. The long tiller put the driver in the middle of the Kaboat and the other person was sitting in the bow area. So balance in the boat was OK. I could go with a bigger setup 13 hp or better the Kaboat could easily handle the weight in the back but I not sure I want to haul around 125 lbs or more 100 yards or so setting up the boat all the time. So for me I have decided to go with the 7 hp SwampRunner.

  18. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    [QUOTE=Amazer;1635057]
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post

    Just and update. Last night I was able to get the Saturn Kabaot XL on the Chena River with aknative1987. Temple was nice enough to bring out his 7HP SwampRunner and we tried the setup out on the Kaboat. The motor weighted about 85 lbs so it was manageable for me to haul around 100 yards or more. Both Temple and I were in the boat so I figure 450 lbs or more total. The river was high and running fast but the SwampRunner managed 8.5 mph up river and 14 down river. So it averaged over 11 mph, not great but good enough for me. We did a couple of runs both up and down river and everything felt good. The long tiller put the driver in the middle of the Kaboat and the other person was sitting in the bow area. So balance in the boat was OK. I could go with a bigger setup 13 hp or better the Kaboat could easily handle the weight in the back but I not sure I want to haul around 125 lbs or more 100 yards or so setting up the boat all the time. So for me I have decided to go with the 7 hp SwampRunner.
    That is nice to know. How did it handle? I'd be happy with 8.5 upstream. Heck there were times that was all I was getting with my 7.5 prop.

  19. #99
    Member Amazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Yukon Cornelius, the Kaboat handled very well. We moved around several times trying to adjust our weigh to see if we could get the boat any faster and made several turns all with no stability issues. Aknative1987 was standing up on a couple of the runs too. The Chena was moving fast last night. I was very surprised and happy with the boats overall handling.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •