Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Saturn Kaboat motor options?

Try this one. Attachment 95235 the straight piece is the cross piece for the front and the bent/welded one is the back. The side pieces no shown are about 10 feet long. They are together because of the jig I used for welding. It's about a 6 inch drop.

This talk of porpoising on the Kaboat is perplexing to me. I have not experienced it. I keep the floor at 10 psi with a gauge, don't have a frame, and keep rain water drained. I guess i'll get the prop guard. Ah, spending money on boats this early in the year; I feel better already just thinking about it.
    RandyS

Hydro- Shield acts like a Hydrofoil the stern lifts at speed, I have been using them on various boats for around 20 years.

https://www.hydro-shield.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Hydro- Shield acts like a Hydrofoil the stern lifts at speed, I have been using them on various boats for around 20 years.

https://www.hydro-shield.com/
    . Looking at it I see it mounts differant too. It comes off the bottom of the skag. Mine mounts on the fins above the prop. I also made a prop guard that mounts on the bottom skag. Maybe I should mod it so it bends up a little. have to try it first. Open water can't get here fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Try this one. Attachment 95235 the straight piece is the cross piece for the front and the bent/welded one is the back. The side pieces no shown are about 10 feet long. They are together because of the jig I used for welding. It's about a 6 inch drop.
    AK DUCKMAN, I can't see the attachment can anyone else?

No no no, no, no,

Would a kaboat with a long tail motor be s good option to get up the placer river and the Twentymile River. Carmen river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    AK DUCKMAN, I can't see the attachment can anyone else?
    . I tried taking them from my phone guess it didn't work. strange thing is I Could.

I'll try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by tchoutacabouffa View Post
    Would a kaboat with a long tail motor be s good option to get up the placer river and the Twentymile River. Carmen river.

What kind of speeds are you wanting to get? I think that is where most of us are pausing on the longtails, is speed.

Enough speed to get upstream???

[QUOTE=tchoutacabouffa;1626470]Enough speed to get upstream???

If you read the full thread that is debatable on what is enough. I am going to try out the long tail on the Kaboat this spring breakup and if I get 10 mph I will be happy and buy one. If I can get up stream at 6-7 mph by myself, fuel and camp then I think its worth it. But if someone is traveling say 70-100 miles up stream or they only have the weekends to hunt then for most people that's not fast enough. You also loose maneuverability with the long tail so on small streams that can quickly become an issue.

So for me it will most likely be a good option (based on 10 mph) for many, probably not. I also have a 6 hp short shaft OB that I use now too. I want the long tail for the small / skinny waters to get away from everyone (if that's possible).

[QUOTE=Amazer;1626486]

If you read the full thread that is debatable on what is enough. I am going to try out the long tail on the Kaboat this spring breakup and if I get 10 mph I will be happy and buy one. If I can get up stream at 6-7 mph by myself, fuel and camp then I think its worth it. But if someone is traveling say 70-100 miles up stream or they only have the weekends to hunt then for most people that's not fast enough. You also loose maneuverability with the long tail so on small streams that can quickly become an issue.

So for me it will most likely be a good option (based on 10 mph) for many, probably not. I also have a 6 hp short shaft OB that I use now too. I want the long tail for the small / skinny waters to get away from everyone (if that's possible).
    Exactly!! I am waiting for your report. I know that my journey here I'd be happy with 10 mph but not 7 mph, unless I used the kaboat strictly as a shallow water craft (haul it in my bigger boat).

I will be moving to the valley this summer, and I know that I will hunt out of the kaboat, until I buy another river boat.

You will need to be a little more specific. Is that 5mph? or 10 mph?

That is the million dollar question for all of us, what is that magic number?

I am only familiar with the 20 mile river and it gets pretty swift further upstream. I would say that the 7hp longtail would be marginal for the swifter parts. I sold my longtail because it was really too slow. I might get a 13hp longtail at some point. I have 1974 25hp evinrude jet I'm going to try out this summer. We will see.... I know the 15hp 2 cycle evinrude works great but not shallow enough.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by RandyS View Post
    This talk of porpoising on the Kaboat is perplexing to me. I have not experienced it. I keep the floor at 10 psi with a gauge, don't have a frame, and keep rain water drained. I guess i'll get the prop guard. Ah, spending money on boats this early in the year; I feel better already just thinking about it.
    If you don’t keep enough air air pressure in the floor, the kaboat will porpoise.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

[QUOTE=Amazer;1626486]

Just and update. Last night I was able to get the Saturn Kabaot XL on the Chena River with aknative1987. Temple was nice enough to bring out his 7HP SwampRunner and we tried the setup out on the Kaboat. The motor weighted about 85 lbs so it was manageable for me to haul around 100 yards or more. Both Temple and I were in the boat so I figure 450 lbs or more total. The river was high and running fast but the SwampRunner managed 8.5 mph up river and 14 down river. So it averaged over 11 mph, not great but good enough for me. We did a couple of runs both up and down river and everything felt good. The long tiller put the driver in the middle of the Kaboat and the other person was sitting in the bow area. So balance in the boat was OK. I could go with a bigger setup 13 hp or better the Kaboat could easily handle the weight in the back but I not sure I want to haul around 125 lbs or more 100 yards or so setting up the boat all the time. So for me I have decided to go with the 7 hp SwampRunner.

[QUOTE=Amazer;1635057]
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post

Just and update. Last night I was able to get the Saturn Kabaot XL on the Chena River with aknative1987. Temple was nice enough to bring out his 7HP SwampRunner and we tried the setup out on the Kaboat. The motor weighted about 85 lbs so it was manageable for me to haul around 100 yards or more. Both Temple and I were in the boat so I figure 450 lbs or more total. The river was high and running fast but the SwampRunner managed 8.5 mph up river and 14 down river. So it averaged over 11 mph, not great but good enough for me. We did a couple of runs both up and down river and everything felt good. The long tiller put the driver in the middle of the Kaboat and the other person was sitting in the bow area. So balance in the boat was OK. I could go with a bigger setup 13 hp or better the Kaboat could easily handle the weight in the back but I not sure I want to haul around 125 lbs or more 100 yards or so setting up the boat all the time. So for me I have decided to go with the 7 hp SwampRunner.
    That is nice to know. How did it handle? I'd be happy with 8.5 upstream. Heck there were times that was all I was getting with my 7.5 prop.

Yukon Cornelius, the Kaboat handled very well. We moved around several times trying to adjust our weigh to see if we could get the boat any faster and made several turns all with no stability issues. Aknative1987 was standing up on a couple of the runs too. The Chena was moving fast last night. I was very surprised and happy with the boats overall handling.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345