Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturn Kaboat motor options?

running shallow water with an Air cooled motor , it will have a sheer pin in the prop so when you hit a rock to save the prop , I have said before
    I don't like the sheer pin's as it will break at the moment I need the prop to work ,in the saturn boat not as bad as on a canoe, as I see it SID
    PS lets face it a Saturn is a motor powered RAFT , it is not a 19 SQ Grumman,

Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    I was wondering if anyone was able to run the Honda 2.5 HP on the Kaboat. If you did what kind of numbers were you looking at for performance. I liked the idea of an air cooled outboard when running shallow water better. I was planning on getting a longtail motor (7 HP) but was thinking the 2.5 HP may be a better option overall with size and weight. Anyone have an thoughts or experiences with the 2.5?
    I'm glad you posted here. I did finally get my 2.5 Suzuki out on the lake. Long story, so let me explain my delay.
    Someone local put a 18' Lowe with a 35 hp godevil up for sale in June. I bought it. Kaboat and the 2.5 got forgotten about as we moved and I had a larger boat. During my hunting trip I poked a hole in my Lowe and had to break out the kaboat so I naturally went with the 7.5 since it was larger and faster. Finally decided to give the 2.5 a trial run during a bear hunt. I wasn't impressed. I got 5.5 mph with myself and one guy. We only had day packs since it was a day trip. I dropped my friend off and gave the 2.5 a test with just me and I got 6.1 mph. The kaboat was sitting lower in the water than with the 7.5 which was surprising. The pros of the 2.5 were that it was light and it was quiet. I burned 2 tanks of gas and did a little more than 12 miles. I decided that I'm selling it and buying a 9.9 and will run a little above idle if I want to go slow.
    Im still wanting to try a long tail, since the kaboat is lighter than the Lowe. But, I didn't like the 2.5 and my speeds were GPS speeds. Not a guesstimate based off experience. I basically spent the whole time laughing at how slow I was going.

Thanks Yukon Cornelius and Sid. So the 2.5 HP doesn't sound like a good option. I will have to try out a long tail this spring and see how that really works our for the Kaboat. My worry with the long tail was going to be weight if I went with anything over 7 HP with the long tail. I think I remember someone on the site say they averaged 7 MPH with the 7 HP long tail. I am hoping that was a guess not a GPS run.

I recently sold my 7hp longtail along with the grumman sport boat. That longtail is perfect for the sport boat but not enough power for the kaboat. You will be unhappy with that combo I believe unless you are satisfied with less than 10 mph. I was the one who posted that and the 7mph was a guess. But it will be slow. You will wish you had more power. I guess some people can boost the hp on those 7hp motors and get up to 10 or so but I still think you will wish you had more power.

The other problem with the long tail is steering. On tight turns in small creeks it can become an issue. Avoiding sweepers and such is tricky with the long tail. If you only operate in slow water it will be OK.

I think the perfect setup for the kaboat would be a 12 hp short tail surface drive but that is out of my budget right now.

I really like my 1984 15hp evinrude on the kaboat, but shallow water presents a problem. I tried the lift but it's difficult on the Kaboat.

I picked up an even older 1974 20hp evinrude jet to try. Looking forward to spring to see how that works. That old 2 cycle motor is surprisingly light, only 85 pounds.

I'll see if I can find an video of this summer with the 15 and post a link to that.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Here is a link to a youtube video I just posted. It's not the one I was looking for but gives an idea of speed with a 15.

That's me checking my email while crossing Lake Susitna. Crazy, but I'm a Realtor and have to keep in touch. My brother is driving, between us and the gear we had I would estimate a load of about 750 pounds.

https://youtu.be/OCL0h-zR7Vs
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    I recently sold my 7hp longtail along with the grumman sport boat. That longtail is perfect for the sport boat but not enough power for the kaboat. You will be unhappy with that combo I believe unless you are satisfied with less than 10 mph. I was the one who posted that and the 7mph was a guess. But it will be slow. You will wish you had more power. I guess some people can boost the hp on those 7hp motors and get up to 10 or so but I still think you will wish you had more power.

The other problem with the long tail is steering. On tight turns in small creeks it can become an issue. Avoiding sweepers and such is tricky with the long tail. If you only operate in slow water it will be OK.

I think the perfect setup for the kaboat would be a 12 hp short tail surface drive but that is out of my budget right now.

I really like my 1984 15hp evinrude on the kaboat, but shallow water presents a problem. I tried the lift but it's difficult on the Kaboat.

I picked up an even older 1974 20hp evinrude jet to try. Looking forward to spring to see how that works. That old 2 cycle motor is surprisingly light, only 85 pounds.

I'll see if I can find an video of this summer with the 15 and post a link to that.
    That is a worry for me. I knew that the 2.5 would be slow, but I was hoping for that 10 mph range empty, and got a little more than 6, which on a creek it wouldn't be terrible.

I'd love to get a surface drive on the kaboat, but that price point, and I think the tubes would make it a challenge.
    Now, I am thinking about a jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    Thanks Yukon Cornelius and Sid. So the 2.5 HP doesn't sound like a good option. I will have to try out a long tail this spring and see how that really works our for the Kaboat. My worry with the long tail was going to be weight if I went with anything over 7 HP with the long tail. I think I remember someone on the site say they averaged 7 MPH with the 7 HP long tail. I am hoping that was a guess not a GPS run.
    I was super bummed about the 2.5. It still has potential, if you are in a smaller lake and just wanted to putt around, or didn't have a long journey, or had plenty of time, then it could work.
    I say that, to say that, I put my up for sale locally. If someone will buy it, then I can put the funds towards a 9.9 or an older jet. If no one does buy it, It can be used if ever needed.

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    Here is a link to a youtube video I just posted. It's not the one I was looking for but gives an idea of speed with a 15.

That's me checking my email while crossing Lake Susitna. Crazy, but I'm a Realtor and have to keep in touch. My brother is driving, between us and the gear we had I would estimate a load of about 750 pounds.

https://youtu.be/OCL0h-zR7Vs
    That's moving right along! I have an old 9.9 and alone I get maybe 12, 13 (GPS). Put my daughter in and we're down to 8, and she's pretty small, may be a balance thing.

I'll be upgrading to a 15 or 20 when budget allows. I have the 15XL.

martyv, If I got 10 MPH I think I would be happy from the long tail. Right now I a 6HP Tohatsu, 15" 15XL and average 13 MPH by GPS with my wife, me and a cooler full of food and stuff for day trips ups and down the Chena. I am only planning on hunting alone with the long tail so I suspect up steam Ill be carrying about the same weight. Long Tail maneuvering is something to think about but I don't think there is one motor to satisfy all my boating needs.

Yes. If you aren't making 10mph you can probably tweak the motor to get more speed.

Long tails have some definite stron points. If you can float you can go. Great in weeds. Very simple and hence reliable.

I live in Fairbanks and I have 7 horse Swamp Runner if you want to try it on the Kaboat. I've been interested in one of those boats for a while, would be interesting to see one in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt Al View Post
    That's moving right along! I have an old 9.9 and alone I get maybe 12, 13 (GPS). Put my daughter in and we're down to 8, and she's pretty small, may be a balance thing.

I'll be upgrading to a 15 or 20 when budget allows. I have the 15XL.
    I have a 15XL too with an older 9.9 2 stroke and I'm still working on the balance of the boat with two people. I'm thinking about putting a hydrofoil on it this winter.

Nat

Hydrofoil ??? will it clear the tubes when you prop the motor up for shallow running ??? just a question ???
    there is no free lunch out there it is a give an take to get the best boat for what you want, SID

[QUOTE=nblewi0;1618274]I have a 15XL too with an older 9.9 2 stroke and I'm still working on the balance of the boat with two people. I'm thinking about putting a hydrofoil on it this winter.

Where are you putting your daughter? I'm able to get 12 with another adult (250 and 220 lbs) when I sit in the rear but lean forward and he sits in the front. But that was just us too and no extra gear. I'm running a 7.5 2 stroke merc and I've gotten 8 with the same guy and some gear. I did try having him sit in the middle but I wasn't happy with that set up. Speed wise or comfort wise.
    I normally run with only two bench seats in. Front and rear. Store most gear in the middle. I've placed the gas can in the very front or towards the front. All depends on what I have loaded.

With that 9.9 you should be moving right alone. I'm able to get 17 by myself.

[QUOTE=Yukon Cornelius;1618303]
    Quote Originally Posted by nblewi0 View Post
    I have a 15XL too with an older 9.9 2 stroke and I'm still working on the balance of the boat with two people. I'm thinking about putting a hydrofoil on it this winter.

Where are you putting your daughter? I'm able to get 12 with another adult (250 and 220 lbs) when I sit in the rear but lean forward and he sits in the front. But that was just us too and no extra gear. I'm running a 7.5 2 stroke merc and I've gotten 8 with the same guy and some gear. I did try having him sit in the middle but I wasn't happy with that set up. Speed wise or comfort wise.
    I normally run with only two bench seats in. Front and rear. Store most gear in the middle. I've placed the gas can in the very front or towards the front. All depends on what I have loaded.

With that 9.9 you should be moving right alone. I'm able to get 17 by myself.
    Sounds like Mt. Al and I have similar set-ups. I'm getting 12-15 with me in back, my wife in front, and my two small children in the middle using the bench seat set-up. It gets weird with just me and my wife (middle seat not in use). We start to porpoise occasionally. I'm really happy with the power of the 9.9 but I think we need to work on balance when we are lighter. I also have a tiller extension I haven't played with yet.

I'm not sure the hydrofoil will fit. I'll take some pictures for everyone if I do mount it. I think inflation pressure is also pretty important when running a motor.

Nat

[QUOTE=nblewi0;1618379]
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post

Sounds like Mt. Al and I have similar set-ups. I'm getting 12-15 with me in back, my wife in front, and my two small children in the middle using the bench seat set-up. It gets weird with just me and my wife (middle seat not in use). We start to porpoise occasionally. I'm really happy with the power of the 9.9 but I think we need to work on balance when we are lighter. I also have a tiller extension I haven't played with yet.

I'm not sure the hydrofoil will fit. I'll take some pictures for everyone if I do mount it. I think inflation pressure is also pretty important when running a motor.

Nat
    I think the floor needs some more air. Are you running the Alaskan? And gen 2 or 3? I got a gen3 and I'm running 11 to 12 psi in the floor. I don't feel
    the porpoise. If I do, I just add some more air. I've thought about getting one of those hydro foils to assist on getting on step, but haven't yet. I've also thought about a tiller extension. My last run this year, I took my back seat bench out and sat in the floor on my knees. It was comfortable, and I was able to lean forward more which balanced
    tjat weight out a little better.

with what you said "" nblewi0"" that will work on big water , but when you get to small streams it will be very hard on you , you will need the extenuation on the,, tiller handle, also you will need to hold on to with your right hand to balance with as you stand, this all helps when you are running slow shallow streams , you need to see what is in front of your rig, I think, SID if you run the little willow or the little SUE,down from the HWY you will see what I mean ,

aknative1987, I diffidently want to run a 7Hp Swamp Runner the first of spring. It would be great to together with you and make a few runs as I also live in Fairbanks. Send me a pm and I will send you my cell number and we can get together. I think that is the route I need to go, I am just hoping I can get a GPS run of 10MPH. Thanks.

Tube and Floor pressure are very important. Once I put my Kaboat in the water check again the pressure the cold river water drops the pressure significantly. Load distribution is equally important too. With my motor and me I put the next heavy objects in the middle and my wife up front as she is the lightest. I read in one of the Russian Kaboat with small water jet engines that they put plywood under the pressure floor and it cured all problems with porpoising no matter the load. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has tired this. Seems like a lot of extra work but if I was running the Kaboat alone it may be worth the effort for WOT runs.

I could be wrong on weight distribution. Maybe someone will correct me. I try to get quite a bit of weight up front. So that I am level in the water or perhaps just a bit stern heavy when not under way.

It sounds like you would be very stern heavy when dead in the water.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast