Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saturn Kaboat motor options?

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    My guess was speed about 7 mph in kaboat. 2x that in sportboat. I think the kaboat can easily handle the larger motor. You will wish you had it going upstream.
    Why is the sportboat getting more speed? Is it a lighter boat?
    this is good info to have though. I was afraid that 7 would be underpowered.
    Im also worried that the 13 will be to heavy in the transom.

speed, speed, it is not your friend in shallow water, if you know the water it is not so bad, the sudden stops a will do you in , you can't see far A head, , in big water not bad, but shallow water ""O boy "" as I see it , SID

I think the Sportboat is getting better speed with the small motor because there's less hull dragging in the water, a sleeker hull requiring less power to reach the same speeds. If you read up on the Grumman Sportboat, and the Robb White version of it, it's been stipulated that there's something funky about that boat that makes it very capable of paddling, rowing, sailing, and traveling under motor power. It's one of the weird boats that's very good multiple modes of propulsion for some reason, and try as people have they can't duplicate that versatility in boats of other sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by aknative1987 View Post
    I think the Sportboat is getting better speed with the small motor because there's less hull dragging in the water, a sleeker hull requiring less power to reach the same speeds. If you read up on the Grumman Sportboat, and the Robb White version of it, it's been stipulated that there's something funky about that boat that makes it very capable of paddling, rowing, sailing, and traveling under motor power. It's one of the weird boats that's very good multiple modes of propulsion for some reason, and try as people have they can't duplicate that versatility in boats of other sizes.
    I've heard about the jack of all trades capabilities of the sport boat, just never actually seen one. I have the kaboat, and I will figure out what I will do with it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    speed, speed, it is not your friend in shallow water, if you know the water it is not so bad, the sudden stops a will do you in , you can't see far A head, , in big water not bad, but shallow water ""O boy "" as I see it , SID
    Sid,
    I will agree here, but speed does matter to me. I don't have to go WOT in shallow, but when one boats 20 miles to get to their hunting grounds, speed sure is nice

Speaking of speed. Have you seen this? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LadC_2zCc8Y
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    My guess was speed about 7 mph in kaboat. 2x that in sportboat. I think the kaboat can easily handle the larger motor. You will wish you had it going upstream.
    I was hoping it was more like 11-12 mph or better to get upstream. As long as I am moving up stream that is good, I will just have to bring more gas and spend more time running the stream. --I will have to look at diffrent longtail setups 7/10/13 hp to see if there is a compromise out there someplace. I'm worried if I have to much weight on the transom including my weigh I will be dragging bottom to much and stress the transom. How far from the transom does the longtail tiller put you into the boat that may help me some with weight distribution?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Sid,
    I will agree here, but speed does matter to me. I don't have to go WOT in shallow, but when one boats 20 miles to get to their hunting grounds, speed sure is nice

A couple of areas I planned on hunting/ fishing were 30-50 miles so I am looking at more time, Murphy's Law and gas to make the trip. I perfer to hunt upstream if practical in case I have motor issues I can always float back down.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    I was hoping it was more like 11-12 mph or better to get upstream. As long as I am moving up stream that is good, I will just have to bring more gas and spend more time running the stream. --I will have to look at diffrent longtail setups 7/10/13 hp to see if there is a compromise out there someplace. I'm worried if I have to much weight on the transom including my weigh I will be dragging bottom to much and stress the transom. How far from the transom does the longtail tiller put you into the boat that may help me some with weight distribution?
    You can put a longer piece of pipe in place of the tiller, lots of throttle cable to reach forward. That would however cause you to have to climb back for certain turns. It takes practice but I can turn my boats 180 in an area just a bit wider then my boats are long. But I do have to work my way back in the boat some to keep a secure hold of the motor.

YUKON corn a PM sent SID

A couple of areas I planned on hunting/ fishing were 30-50 miles so I am looking at more time, Murphy's Law and gas to make the trip. I perfer to hunt upstream if practical in case I have motor issues I can always float back down.
    its about 20 to get to the creek inwant to hunt. I want to go way up. Way up. Last year o averaged 11.5 mph with a 7.5 2 stroke Mercury. My issue is I only get to hunt weekends and when one gets off work at 4 and has to drive 20 miles to the lake. That time becomes very valuable.

Ive been watching go devil and mud buddy videos for about 6 weeks now. I'm going to wait and get a larger 35ish and mount it on a flat bottom Lowe or something like that.

Im going to run the kaboat with my 7.5 and carry a Suzuki 2.5 for hunting. Should be fun. The kaboat is a nice rig, just gotta be ok with compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    its about 20 to get to the creek inwant to hunt. I want to go way up. Way up. Last year o averaged 11.5 mph with a 7.5 2 stroke Mercury. My issue is I only get to hunt weekends and when one gets off work at 4 and has to drive 20 miles to the lake. That time becomes very valuable.

Ive been watching go devil and mud buddy videos for about 6 weeks now. I'm going to wait and get a larger 35ish and mount it on a flat bottom Lowe or something like that.

Im going to run the kaboat with my 7.5 and carry a Suzuki 2.5 for hunting. Should be fun. The kaboat is a nice rig, just gotta be ok with compromises.
    I agree, I am going to get my boat set up with the 6 hp prop and most likely go with the 7hp longtial for hunting. It will be slow going but the small stream I am looking at I should be OK. I am worried about going bigger on the longtail becuuse of the wieght on transom issue. How much speed can you get witht he 2.5hp prop with the kaboat?

I'm waiting on the same boat should be getting sent soon. I plan on using a 15 hp johnson for deep water. I also have a 6hp mud buddy that pushes my 12 foot jon boat just fine not super fast but faster than walking.

I agree, I am going to get my boat set up with the 6 hp prop and most likely go with the 7hp longtial for hunting. It will be slow going but the small stream I am looking at I should be OK. I am worried about going bigger on the longtail becuuse of the wieght on transom issue. How much speed can you get witht he 2.5hp prop with the kaboat?
    Not
    sure on the speed on the 2.5. I just purchased it off CL, and am waiting for it to arrive. I hope to get it out on the lake next week to GPS, and I will post. I hunted with a partner and our camp. I bet I had 700 plus pounds in the boat (320 lb partner, and my 250 lbs self, 50 lb outboard, 20 gallons of gas, and a weekend worth of gear. I GPS and got 11.5 on the lake. I dropped everything off but me and 6 gallons of gas and got 17 mph. The 7.5 will push the kaboat when it is light, and I want to see how fast it is this year.

The 2.5, I hope, will be a good compromise. 30 lbs, so not that heavy. Internal tank, so no need for extra cans.

I got my Kaboat setup and in the water (Chena) thisweekend. I ran my 6hp Tohatsu 4 strokeand averaged 12.5 mph dong a run up and down stream.First time I had the motor on the water thisyear and it ran a little rough so it needs a tune up.I am sure I can get more out of it.I don’t have an air gauge yet so I am not positiveI had enough air pressure in the setup because at WOT the boat would flex orbend in the back 3-4 feet.I am sure Ican put more pressure in it I just need to get an air gauge for the Kaboat. I am worried about overpressure and bustingsome seams.
    I understand most people run the Kaboat a 4 PSI and 10PSI. Does that sound about right?
    Also, I remember reading in a post someone was runningplywood with the inflatable floor as anyone done that? If so how was it setup?

I run mine 3.5 to 4.5 on tubes and 9 to 10 on the floor. You can use foam floor mat that interlocks on the floor putting in between tubes and floor before
    you inflate it and it will stiffen floor. Should not flex or bend if you have enough air pressure, and check pressure while in the water.

With a external frame most of the floor flex goes away as the load is evenly distributed. The stock seat boards sit to lo and hurt my knees, I had a frame built with Fish On seats , makes if feel more secure and can brace for waves. Neat little boat i like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    I run mine 3.5 to 4.5 on tubes and 9 to 10 on the floor. You can use foam floor mat that interlocks on the floor putting in between tubes and floor before
    you inflate it and it will stiffen floor. Should not flex or bend if you have enough air pressure, and check pressure while in the water.

With a external frame most of the floor flex goes away as the load is evenly distributed. The stock seat boards sit to lo and hurt my knees, I had a frame built with Fish On seats , makes if feel more secure and can brace for waves. Neat little boat i like mine.
    I do my tubes at the same range. 3.5-4.5 and my floor at 11-12. I have a gen 3 with a thicker floor which can hold more psi. I'm getting ready to build a frame for mine.

Would you be able to share pics pics of your frame?

Should be some more pics on the early Saturn Kaboat thread. Picture of my motor mount to trailer my 4 stroke power head has to be higher than prop,
    easy to put on and safely transport, plus it ads tongue weight. AK Raft and Kayak built frame for me. Cataract 7 ft oars rows nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input. I ordered pressure gauge and I will be upping the air pressure and I am sure that will help.

I was wondering if anyone was able to run the Honda 2.5 HP on the Kaboat. If you did what kind of numbers were you looking at for performance. I liked the idea of an air cooled outboard when running shallow water better. I was planning on getting a longtail motor (7 HP) but was thinking the 2.5 HP may be a better option overall with size and weight. Anyone have an thoughts or experiences with the 2.5?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast