Thread: Here we go...Broadheads

Default Here we go...Broadheads

Well this is a loaded question sure to get a slew of opinions, but I'm in the market finally for some good broadheads to finally start now hunting.

What is everyone using for broadheads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Well this is a loaded question sure to get a slew of opinions, but I'm in the market finally for some good broadheads to finally start now hunting.

What is everyone using for broadheads?

There is lots of information in previous threads. Here is one of them that would be a good place to start: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...at-do-you-like

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    There is lots of information in previous threads. Here is one of them that would be a good place to start: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...at-do-you-like
    Thank you! Missed that one!

Still, it's always fun to start new threads...

I've have been a pretty die hard fan of Muzzy 3 Blades for a few decades now. After reading/talking with a lot of archers/hunters I decided to try a pack of G5. Don
    t remember the name of them, but these have a cut on contact tip that is also stout almost like the trochar tip on the muzzy. I have only tried them on my stationary home target, but out to 30 yards they fly AS GOOD and reliable as my field tips at the same weight. I have not had to adjust my sights or anything. I'm really impressed :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Not that it necessarily means anything for Alaska, but I found both Muzzy's and G5's to fly the same as my field points out to circa 40 yards and both have killed hogs in Texas out to circa 50 yards. One of those was an ugly and tough 200#'s and while I can't recall if it was a Muzzy or a G5, I do recall a great bloodtrail and the broadhead being damaged by the rocks on the other side of the hog, not being damaged by the hog; haven't exterminated Alaska game with a pointy thing yet.
    Back in AK

I'm going to try the new Bloodsport Gravedigger cut on contact hybrid broadheads for spring bears this year. It's a two blade fixed with two expandable blades. I am excited to try them out, I think they'll be the cause of a few dirt naps this year.

The new rage titanium hypodermics look pretty interesting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I looked at the Bloodsport Gravedigger's that someone mentioned above. Broadheads are like rifle cartridges, always something new that is a little larger, a little faster or a little flatter than the 30/06. And the 30/06 is one of the standards that many cartridges are often measured by that has probably killed more game except maybe the 30/30.

I like simple, cut-on-impact, one piece broadheads. They work! They have since the bow and arrow was invented. They take less energy to penetrate, no parts to fail and are easily re-sharpened. I have used G 5's and NAP Hellrazors to take game in the L48, Alaska and Africa. I have no desire to try anything different.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I looked at the Bloodsport Gravedigger's that someone mentioned above. Broadheads are like rifle cartridges, always something new that is a little larger, a little faster or a little flatter than the 30/06. And the 30/06 is one of the standards that many cartridges are often measured by that has probably killed more game except maybe the 30/30..
    And like the hunter who has more than one rifle, the new broadheads do different things, some better, some not so much better. I used the Gravedigger chisel tip on a blacktail hunt on Kodiak last December. I went with the mechanical because of the likelihood of shooting in wind. The Gravedigger flew to the same point of impact as my field tips out to 50 yards, the smaller profile means less opportunity for the wind to affect flight. And the tip flat out worked. The bottom pivot design of the expandable blades reduces the likelihood of failure, and the would channel was massive.

I also have one piece broadheads that fly right from my tuned bow. I plan on bringing those to Afognak in hopes of sticking an elk this fall. For me, the Solid 125s flew better than the other one pieces broadheads that I tried, from the same well-tuned bow. The Solids will be my first choice on Afognak, but I would not think twice about using the Gravedigger chisel tip if the conditions were right for it.

Some mechanicals are long, I was told that can affect arrow flight at the long broad head housing causes arrow to plane differently. I went w a made in USA brand, short, mechanical broad head and can't recall the name currently. Worked on the sheep I shot. I think has a chisel tip also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnus Stingers.

I like it! I'm new to the bow thang and haven't bagged anything other that the target block in the yard. I searched the other link and came out with a question. I hunt plenty with a rifle but, like I said I'm new to this. I selected the Muzzy 3 because it seemed to have a lot of good history. that said, I see a lot of the posts in the thread about effective range. My first attempt for game with a bow will probably be a caribou. I have "heard" not gospel that I need to be ready to shoot out to 70 yards. I understand why and I would try to get closer but will the arrow kill at that distance! Assuming a boiler room shot, 125Gn Muzzy 3? Seems like a long, unethical shot. Am I feeling this right or will that arrow do the job?

Thank you from the cherry bow Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    I like it! I'm new to the bow thang and haven't bagged anything other that the target block in the yard. I searched the other link and came out with a question. I hunt plenty with a rifle but, like I said I'm new to this. I selected the Muzzy 3 because it seemed to have a lot of good history. that said, I see a lot of the posts in the thread about effective range. My first attempt for game with a bow will probably be a caribou. I have "heard" not gospel that I need to be ready to shoot out to 70 yards. I understand why and I would try to get closer but will the arrow kill at that distance! Assuming a boiler room shot, 125Gn Muzzy 3? Seems like a long, unethical shot. Am I feeling this right or will that arrow do the job?

Thank you from the cherry bow Hunter.
    The important thing is that you practice practice practice with you broadheads. Find out what your bow, your arrow, your broadhead, and you perform at 10 yards, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, etc.. Once you are comfortable at a distance, go a little farther back. You will know what an ethical decision for you will be if you do this. Also, shoot multiple shots at your favorite target on really crappy weather days (lots of wind and rain)...so you will be prepared. As to my previous post, I believe it's the G% Montec that I have.

I have had great success with the Muzzy 3 blade out to 50 yards (I personally get closer as "the stalk" is what I want). I hit a moose with its elbow back at 45 yards, hitting the lower Humerus bone. The trochar tip exploded this bone into three large chunks...which I found when I parted the animal out as it wa a lethal hit :-) Other than that, on moose and caribou I usually have pass through shots as I like broadside at under 40 yards if I can get them.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    The important thing is that you practice practice practice with you broadheads. Find out what your bow, your arrow, your broadhead, and you perform at 10 yards, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, etc.. Once you are comfortable at a distance, go a little farther back. You will know what an ethical decision for you will be if you do this. Also, shoot multiple shots at your favorite target on really crappy weather days (lots of wind and rain)...so you will be prepared. As to my previous post, I believe it's the G% Montec that I have.

I have had great success with the Muzzy 3 blade out to 50 yards (I personally get closer as "the stalk" is what I want). I hit a moose with its elbow back at 45 yards, hitting the lower Humerus bone. The trochar tip exploded this bone into three large chunks...which I found when I parted the animal out as it wa a lethal hit :-) Other than that, on moose and caribou I usually have pass through shots as I like broadside at under 40 yards if I can get them.
    Good advice there for sure. I've never even seen anything brought down with a bow, so I have zero experience to draw on "ballistics and terminal performance". I will by the end of fall though!

I also practice out to 50 yards with my broadheads as they are the only thing I practice with once spring bear hunting starts. I only use one broadhead as the NAP Hellrazers fly well enough out to that distance that I have no need to switch to mechanicals. I will never use a mechanical! I have seen them fail way too often.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    Good advice there for sure. I've never even seen anything brought down with a bow, so I have zero experience to draw on "ballistics and terminal performance". I will by the end of fall though!
    17 bull moose with a bow here, and a few deer, and a black bear. Almost everyone was with good old Satellite Aero 4 blade heads with replacable razor inserts. Super sharp, and many of these moose were complete pass through shots. Bow is set at 80 pounds.
    Now about shooting at a Caribou at 70 yards. That is way too far IMO for a shot on an animal that is not already wounded. Penetration will suffer at that distance as will accuracy. Once you have an arrow in them, take any shot you can get. Also bow hunters better know how to blood trail, and do it well. I trailed a bull moose for 14 hours years ago. Literally spent the first 4 hours crawling on my hands and knees turning over leaves to check for blood. He was barely bleeding and walking slow. Hit in the front shoulder by my buddy. As he walked, the rear feet disturbed the vegetation, so sometimes the minute specks of blood were on the wrong side to be seen. The guy with me was a Kenai River Guide, and very experienced hunter. He later told me that he learned more about tracking in that day, than he had learned in his entire life up to that point. I took it as a much appreciated complement. We got the bull just before dark, miles from where the first arrow hit him. We had got up on him a coupe times while tracking and got other arrows in him, but the shots were long, and I was using different broad heads then. After that hunt, I tossed the remaining heads, and ordered more of what I knew worked. I have used Muzzy's and one other brand I can't think of right now, and they are good, but I have confidence in what I use.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I have always shot Muzzy 3 Blades but switched over to Blood Therapy OCD 125gr fly just like a field tip
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Rage Hypodermic +P 125
    Strickland Helix 125s