Thread: Petersville/Shulin Lake

Default Petersville/Shulin Lake

My dad is sending me two 1984 Honda Big Red's in immaculate condition and I'm lookin' for areas to explore. I know Petersville isn't any sort of secret but I have a few questions, because in 26 years I've only snowmachined there once-years ago!

1. How far car I drive the road before I have to park the truck and camper?

2. Once I bust out the wheeler, how far can I go and what conditions can I expect? Should I bring chains?

3. Would a guy have a shot at a moose or bear (or other game) around Shulin Lake? (Are there a lot of cabins there?)

4. Any good ptarmigan/grouse hunting?

Any other reports on trail conditions and huntablitiy would be appreciated; I don't want your honey holes, just ideas of where to try as I'm lookin to get out and explore/hunt a new area as I don't have a partner this September.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

I didn't know you could get anywhere near Shulin lake on an atv from Petersville road. I know the winter trail/snowmachine trail goes there.

I assumed you could ride a wheeler there. I saw picts of land for sale at mile 3.5 of the trail and it looked like it could definately be traveled in the summer. I don't know for sure though. The ad said the a 4x4 pick up could travel the trail.

Tim

Yes I'm like you as I don't know for sure the total distance you can travel on the trail in summer. I do know you can go at least as far you say and probably further. But I'll bet dollars to doughnuts by looking at the map that there ain't no way your driving your honda atv all the way to Shulin lake. In my experience when you see something called "winter trail" them guys ain't joking!

DWS: Do you know anything about Petersville-like how far the road/trail goes?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    DWS: Do you know anything about Petersville-like how far the road/trail goes?

Tim
    After this last weekend I know a little, first time there, me and my brother put 130 miles on the rigs. Supposedly it stops at Spruce Creek for wheeled rigs. Winter trail from there, the river looked gnarly and my brother didn't want to follow Some people with trucks and cars were at Spruce camped out, the biggest bummer to me is that anyone in a car can drive all the way in there. So basically we spent two days exploring every little side trail where no one was. Some trails we followed to the end and some we turned around on. We also bushwhacked up one mountain looking for blackies.
    We decided to camp up Nugget Creek because the trucks and cars couldn't get up there and mainly because of the huge amount of bear sign. There were spawned out Kings in this little creek! At midnight a nice sized Grizz boar came up the creek and ran up the bank 75 yards away we he saw us. As soon as we woke up saturday morning a dumb 3 year old grizz was coming down the trail behind us. He saw us and kept coming so we yelled and he ran in the bush and then came out and kept walking toward camp. We yelled some more and he went in the bush and ran past the camp. He really wanted to get by us, I guess No fear of humans in that little guy, he'll be somebodies rug in september.
    A sow and cub were eating king carcasses a couple hundred yards further down Nugget on the way out.We took side trails all saturday too. Cache creek has a nice trail going up to Bird Creek and the Dutch hills.
    All in all it was a nice area but I won't go back because it's so easy to access with trucks and cars. Too many people and I can just picure all the hunting pressure that place gets because of this easy access. Not only that but the state has a lot of equipment in there fixing that road so more people can fill that place up.

Haven't been in the area in over 30 years, but in the early 70's I drove a VW bug in to Cache Creek and from there down to Nugget Creek. Had a friend mining in there. I drove a BSA 650 in there too, but the VW was easier. Can you get a 4wd car in that far these days? I guess I should get the 4 wheeler out and do some exploring up that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Can you get a 4wd car in that far these days?
    You can drive a 2wd car all the way to the end at Spruce Creek which is quite aways past Nugget Creek and the Cache creek cabins. I saw one there Saturday Yes some of the bridges are out but the river is shallow and is not stopping any vehicles.
    Some guy in a truck towing his atv on a trailer pulled up to us when we were looking at the end of the trail on Spruce Creek. We asked him where he thought he was going to go now that he had dragged his atv all the way to the end.

Default cache area

There was a maroon minivan in there over the fourth feeding a 3-4 year old griz
    for a week or so. Got some pics of the couple out of the rig letting the bear walk up to them. shame on em. They actually asked me and a friend NOT to shoot it....