Thread: South vs. North

Default South vs. North

Does anyone know which side of the mouth of the rivers is better? The north side for both the Kasilof and Kenai are more easily accessed, but is the dipnetting any beter on one side of the river?
    There's a group of us coming down Sunday afternoon, and we are trying to maximize our chances...

I really don't think it matters. I've always dipped the North side of the Kenai. If the run is good, I've gotten 65 in a little over 3 hours and that was the opening day, the run happened to be early, and when the fish weren't there, took me over 3 hours for one fish, also opening day. Last year when the run was late I fished the last day before they closed it, and worked hard over 5 hours for 10 fish.

It all depends on the run, they could be in thick on Sunday, or you could be a day or two early. Looking at the sonar count I'm not planning on heading down this weekend, I might make a bonzai trip Monday after work.

Default More questions...

I've heard the sand on the south side of the Kasilof is soft, does any one know how hard it is to drive to south side of the Kenai? We are in a Chevy Suburban, 4 wheel drive. We also will be pulling a double axle trailer with the ATV, coolers and nets.

I've seen people with more that what you want to take on the South Side of Kenai. I would not take what you are driving pulling to the South Side of the Kasilof.