Thread: Super Easy Class 1 floats on the road

Default Super Easy Class 1 floats on the road

What are some rivers very similar to Portage Creek within 2 hours of Anchorage? My wife is open to doing more packrafting with me, but I want to avoid anything that has the potential to make her stressed. We have done Portage and she loved it (we'll do it more) but I don't think she's quite ready for Eagle River yet.

I'd prefer something with road access at both the put in and take out - the Kenai is an option I suppose, but that can be busy!

Thoughts?

Eagle River from the outlet of South Fork down to the day use area is great. There's a mellow trail out to the creek, and a nice float back.

Six Mile from the Seward Hwy bridge below the Granite Creek campground to the put-in for the whitewater canyons. It's more of a Class II- at normal flows but early season low flow should make it easier. I'd plan an hour and it's an easy bike shuttle. Once comfortable on that you can put in at the bridge above the Granite Creek campground. For that section the initial part can be a ltttle narrow and wood can be a factor. I've floated it numerous times in my 15' raft with 10' oars so narrow for me is not in a packraft. If there is enough water later in the season you can put-in farther up behind the Bertha Creek campground bathroom or even farther up at the pass (Tincan Creek?). No mattter, I'd would try to scout any blind corners for wood or ice dams this early.

Lower Willow below the canyon & bridge? I've not done it so I cant really say if its a II or a III but maybe someone more familiar with it can elaborate.

With stream banks tendency to erode even class 1 streams will contain many down tree strainer hazards. When combined with blind turns the strainers make streams like the Little Su below Shrock unsuited to timid paddlers though the rating is certainly class 1. Perhaps the Kinik between the old and new bridges might work? It's big water, and easy to flush drown in such streams if you can't effect rescue. The Little Su between Parks and Burma Landing is 41 miles of easy class 1 but way too far for a training run.

Knik between the bridges are about as easy going as you can get. No worries of sweeper or anything. The views are amazing! The little willow or willow creeks are also pretty mild from the hwy down. All are about 3-4 hour float plus or minus in my 13' raft.

Great ideas - Knik and Willow Creek! Thanks!

The Little Su from Houston down to Miller's reach. Also Little Willow from the highway to the mouth of Willow creek.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle