Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow certification

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Awesome!! Thank you for this. You just made my 7yo happy that he can still shoot hare on the haul road
    It says all archery only hunts must have the education if born after 1986. That is the Haul rd

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by txbowhunter254 View Post
    It says all archery only hunts must have the education if born after 1986. That is the Haul rd

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    He is not hunting big game

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    He is not hunting big game
    There are two regs:

1) For any big game hunt with a bow a person born after Jan 1 1986 must have a Bow hunter Ed course.

2) for any person participating in a bow only hunt must take the Bow hunter Ed course.

If you go bow hunting you fall into either category 1 or 2. For a 15 year old kid hunting rabbits in Fairbanks with his bow (not weapons restricted and not big game) he does not need a Bow Hunters Course as he falls under category 1. If the same kid goes up north of Cold foot and hunts rabbits he would fall under Category 2 which does not have a big game clause and therefore would need to take the bowhunters course.

P.S
    Ok I wrote this and I'm noticing a problem the regulation book state that all hunters participating in an archery only hunt must complete the bow hunters ed course. however the AAC States "5 AAC 92.052 (16) a hunter participating in a permit hunt that allows only the use of bow and arrow mush have completed a department-approved bowhunter education course;"

I'm thinking about bringing this up with ADF&G and try to figure out their reasoning for stating any bow only hunt requires the bow hunter's Ed course.

They should have specified " big game" in the regulations. Notice in 92.052 it specifies a "permit hunt" which isn't the case for small game in the corridor.

I do agree that the verbiage is ambiguous. As a pre 1986 hunter can I hunt the corridor without a cert? It is just a harvest tag in a weapons restricted area not a weapons restricted hunt, the same tag is good for rifle or bow out of the corridor. There is certainly room for added clarity in the reg book on this topic.

for my purposes it is a moot point since I will just get my certification and only really care about the legality of my kids hunting small game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12