Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: My new Bay Weld build

Maybe he should hold off the drinking till he gets that docking down better?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Your PM box is full, by the way.
    I emptied it out.

Just had a couple mods done. Removed the Lofranz windlass and put in Lonestar GX3. Wish I would have done this during the build. Also added a port-side door. Sure has been a fun boat to run. I'm averaging somewhere around 1.3 to 1.5 mpg depending on load and seas. I think I'm up to 280 hours on the motors in two years ~ wish I had time for more.

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Your gonna love that new door, did you do the work, Bayweld, or another shop?

What do you have spooled on your Lonestar? I’m looking to put one on my Duckworth.

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    Your gonna love that new door, did you do the work, Bayweld, or another shop?
    Bayweld did both mods. I have door on starboard side of transom, sure going to be nice to have access on both sides

Quote Originally Posted by refak83 View Post
    What do you have spooled on your Lonestar? I’m looking to put one on my Duckworth.
    Lonestar double braid nylon

Very nice additions. I love the Lonestar Brian added to mine.

Quick question on your anchor setup -- I run my chain up the length of the anchor and clamp on just above the plow head. Then I tie the chain off to the tail end with about 10 wraps of cord. On occasion, I have stuck my anchor and needed to break that cordage in order to retrieve it. The way you have yours, does it not matter that I have the breakaway? or am i just being unnecessarily cautious?

- Gambler

Default My new Bay Weld build

Gambler,
    You have it rigged correctly, although that’s quite a few wraps of paracord. I run two wraps, three was too many. Some use heavy zip ties as the example in the pic shows.
    The set up Tlingkit shows does not have a break away the way he has it rigged.

(Tlingkit, thanks for posting. Look forward to a bigger picture with whole boat for the website photo.)

If you need a Lone Star winch, we stock them. They flat work and customers love them!
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

It's not setup for breakaway as it is in the picture, but all i need to do is move the shackle to the slider notch (not sure what they call that) for breakaway.

Do the Lone Star units level wind or does someone need to be forward to manage the retrieval?

They fill up the spool, no issues.
    No, you do not go to the bow any more. Not to cleat off on anchor or guide anything.
    Bk

Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Lonestar double braid nylon
    How many feet of line? Size.....? Thinking about a GX-3.... was wondering if they held enough line, just seems like the 4 is overkill... Thanks
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    How many feet of line? Size.....? Thinking about a GX-3.... was wondering if they held enough line, just seems like the 4 is overkill... Thanks
    Akgramps,
    The GX3 double braid from Lonestar is 8mm and 420’ in length then add about 30’ of anchor chain.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Www.bkmarineservices.com

AKGramps
    I went with the GX4 ... I wanted about 450' of anchor line and chain. The GX3 would not give me but about 300' of 12mm. This using the LoneStar braid recommended. I now have 120M - 12mm of rope (394') and 30' of chain, so close to what I wanted. I also wanted about 4000 pounds of tensile strength. There are other rope options that would allow maybe 600' of line, ask BK.

Xxxxxxxxx

QUOTE=bkmail;1674595]They fill up the spool, no issues.
    No, you do not go to the bow any more. Not to cleat off on anchor or guide anything.
    Bk

Brian,

How do they reliably fill up in a level fashion. I find that mine, not a Lonestar but similar design, will not fill the spool neatly but rather will clump on one side if I do not tend to it closely.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I have the GX3 and love it. I would guess that I get about a 95% chance of not having to go the bow for anything. BUT.... sometimes the wire ties break and the anchor won't come in. NOT a fault of the Lonestar. Winding level is an issue that I am working on. Mine self drops when released. That is great! But again, that part has an anchor roller with a narrow roller on it that prevents the rode from spreading out as far as it can. Working on that issue. One great thing is the remote. Get one! When working on the boat at the dock I can just unroll the rode and wind it back on nice and neat. I have only had to do that 2 times this past summer. Lone Stars are a great unit and I love mine so far. The issues are a winter project to work on.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Picked up a GX-3 from Brian on Monday........

Now I just need a piece of 3/4" or 1" aluminum to make a adapter.... no luck so far in Fairbanks, other than buying a while sheet........
    “We have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Check some of the hardware stores. They sometimes have a rack of small stuff. Lowes and Home Depot have the same. Alaska Steel on Cushman maybe.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415