Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Bay Weld build

Default My new Bay Weld build

Well after many months of diligence, I've decided to have BW build me my dream boat. She will look much like the 27 foot boat they've been showing at the boat show and the past sportsman show, with several changes. Cabin lengthened 6 inches, and deck pushed back 18 inches for a 29 hull length and 33.5 OAL. Same 9.3 beam. I'm adding an outside helm, and the head will open in the cabin. Starboard transom door. Interior will have suspension seats for both helm and passenger. I'm not having a refrigerator, and drawers will go in that spot. Forgoing the cooktop as well as I prefer to cook outside on my Coleman and BBQ. With the additional cabin space, the table will lay down for a 6'4" bunk. Going with a Dometic sink. Cabin height raised to 6'4". Decided on twin 250 Suzuki's and no kicker motor. She will have the Optimus 360 joystick control which will also have their "virtual anchor" system. Fuel capacity of 250 gallons.

Been an extremely fun process to design this boat. Eric has been great, and extremely patient with my barrage of questions. Construction to begin in August and hope to splash her in late January! Going to be a long 9 months waiting for this baby to be born.

Anybody looking for a sweet 24 Seasport, she'll be going on the market this summer
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Oh baby! This thread will need lots of progress pics.
    Congrats Tlingit!!
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

This will be an exciting "vicarious living" experience for me. Congrats and sounds like a great build plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grats on the new boat! Why the narrow beam though?

A 10' beam feels so much more roomy and has the extra stability at rest an on plane - and no downside at the tunnel. Perhaps a little less fuel efficient, but a worthy trade IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by stroganof View Post
    Grats on the new boat! Why the narrow beam though?

A 10' beam feels so much more roomy and has the extra stability at rest an on plane - and no downside at the tunnel. Perhaps a little less fuel efficient, but a worthy trade IMO.
    Just about everything is a trade off. Sure would be nice to have a fatter bottom girl, however cost and fuel efficiency were not attractive trades for me.

Congrats Bud. The next 9 months are going to be brutal. But it's so exciting to see the progress and build it the way you want along the way.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Sounds beautiful! Looking forward to progress pics. BW is a dream boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Congrats Bud. The next 9 months are going to be brutal. But it's so exciting to see the progress and build it the way you want along the way.
    You know this well! Still trying to finalize electronics package. I know it will have a 6 speaker sound system incliding 2 subwoofers. I am leaning Furuno TZ2 over the Garmin 7612 package. Every boat I have owned has had a Furuno and they have treated me well.

Congrats on joining the BW family! Ours should be done next week, can't wait!

Heck Yes Brother! A Garmin TR auto pilot would be pretty sweet for trolling....
    No 10' huh? I want to talk to you about that more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! You're gonna love it.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Congratulations!

You might want to reconsider removing the cook top if you are financing the boat. Interest on a boat loan can be written off as a second mortgage but it must have cooking facilities (as well as sleeping and toilet facilities).

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    You might want to reconsider removing the cook top if you are financing the boat. Interest on a boat loan can be written off as a second mortgage but it must have cooking facilities (as well as sleeping and toilet facilities).
    The regs are not clear on this issue. It certainly says sleeping quarters, head (porti pottie does count) and a "galley". I have yet to see where it says you have to have a fixed stove. I will have a sink and two ways to cook.

All facilities must be permanent. A stove/grill on the deck isn't a permanent fixture and will not meet IRS requirements for a galley.

"If your boat meets the IRS definition of a second home, you can write off some of the expenses associated with your boat loan. To be considered your second home, your boat must have eating, sleeping and toilet facilities. According to DiscoverBoating.com, boats with a berth, a permanent galley and a head qualify. "

The wording of permanent galley is clearly meant to exclude portable cook tops and grills IMO.

All facilities must be permanent. A stove/grill on the deck isn't a permanent fixture and will not meet IRS requirements for a galley.

"If your boat meets the IRS definition of a second home, you can write off some of the expenses associated with your boat loan. To be considered your second home, your boat must have eating, sleeping and toilet facilities. According to DiscoverBoating.com, boats with a berth, a permanent galley and a head qualify. "

The wording of permanent galley is clearly meant to exclude portable cook tops and grills IMO.
    When discoverboating.com audits me, I will bring this up. The IRS regulations are vague. I have dealt with the IRS for nearly 30 years, am more than comfortable with this stance. A portable head but non portable cooking facility?

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p936/ar02.html

I don't think a portable toilet qualifies. I remember asking my tax guy several years ago when I had a boat with fold out rear seats that could double as a bed, a cooktop and a portable coleman toilet if I could write it off. He said nope. Head means permanent toilet and he refused to use it as a second mortgage write off.

It is a gray area indeed and the chance of getting audited is slim so you will probably never have an issue. I just can't afford to pay around with the IRS and legal issues from an audit and risk losing my job so I take the cautious route.

I don't think a portable toilet qualifies. I remember asking my tax guy several years ago when I had a boat with fold out rear seats that could double as a bed, a cooktop and a portable coleman toilet if I could write it off. He said nope. Head means permanent toilet and he refused to use it as a second mortgage write off.

It is a gray area indeed and the chance of getting audited is slim so you will probably never have an issue. I just can't afford to pay around with the IRS and legal issues from an audit and risk losing my job so I take the cautious route.
    the same website you previously quoted says the opposite on portable toliet

http://www.discoverboating.com/resou...cle.aspx?id=65

Like I said..its a gray area. I defer to my tax guy when in doubt.

Turbo Tax, just like Honey Badger don't give a shineolla.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast