Thread: First SxS, an Arctic Cat Prowler 700

Default First SxS, an Arctic Cat Prowler 700

I pick up the cat on Friday. Arctic Cat has some insane price cuts on 2015 models.

I'm new to the UTVs and haven't really even been on my old KinqQuad in quite a few years. Anyhoo, I'm using this for cabin access and some very light off-trail riding. Any suggestions on making it better than factory?

Looks like you need a winch....(weather you "think" you need one or not)......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You are correct sir! Forgot to mention, have one being installed.

FWIW.....

- I got tracks for my Polaris 800 SxS: they don't like blowdowns and tight timber but for snow covered areas and/or quasi-established trail, they allow me to nicely bridge the "dry enough for wheels" vs. "not enough sno for the sno-go" seasonal divide. Not cheap, but, in my case, I am now guaranteed year-round surface access to my cabin if need be.
    - Windshield and/or bolt-on cab: the windshield was for me, but the bolt-on cab really made fall/winter rides much more enjoyable for the wife and GK's. Don't know about your machine, but in mine assuming proper footwear (very specific cold spots from poorly closing doors), the engine/tranny puts off enough heat that longjohns under jeans, a wool shirt, and carhart jacket are all one needs inside the cab down to about -20.
    - Gun rack/scabbard of some sort. I went with brackets that straddled the crossbars, but the choices are endless (leads to analysis paralysis)
    Back in AK

One accessory I'm looking into is a dump trailer with a removable bed. I'm not interested in a meat trailer as much as a work trailer for hauling lumber, logs, and fill. The one that currently has my eye is the Woodland ATV Trailer. Shipping is likely going to run $500 or more, so I'm also considering making my own or buying locally. Any recommendations within the Anchorage commuting area for a trailer fab shop?

I had a 2014 Prowler 700 HDX, they are good utility machines but not a lot of power. What plans do you have for yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ChugiakTinkerer View Post
    One accessory I'm looking into is a dump trailer with a removable bed. I'm not interested in a meat trailer as much as a work trailer for hauling lumber, logs, and fill. The one that currently has my eye is the Woodland ATV Trailer. Shipping is likely going to run $500 or more, so I'm also considering making my own or buying locally. Any recommendations within the Anchorage commuting area for a trailer fab shop?
    I just saw a Bosski trailer for sale on CL. Ad says it has a dump bed. Not sure if that's what you are looking for but it is local. Good luck.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Thanks, I saw that too. The Bosski looks like a really nice dump trailer, but it looks to me to be more suited for ranch work than in the woods. Electric brakes and dumping is sweet, but it has tandem torsion axles rather than walking beam.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverunner View Post
    I had a 2014 Prowler 700 HDX, they are good utility machines but not a lot of power. What plans do you have for yours?

Hey akriverrunner, I apologize for missing your post last week. I'm planning on using it mostly for access to and from my cabin for me and my wife. I am pondering tracks for shoulder season access, but we ride snowmachines in the winter.

I took it out last weekend and am fairly happy with how it performed. Although I am not a big fan of the stock tires. I will at the very least get some new 26" tires with a thicker side wall and aggressive tread. Might move up to 27" or larger as well. I'm reading other threads about what's a good muskeg tire, and it looks like I have a lot of options.

Hey akriverrunner, I apologize for missing your post last week. I'm planning on using it mostly for access to and from my cabin for me and my wife. I am pondering tracks for shoulder season access, but we ride snowmachines in the winter.

I took it out last weekend and am fairly happy with how it performed. Although I am not a big fan of the stock tires. I will at the very least get some new 26" tires with a thicker side wall and aggressive tread. Might move up to 27" or larger as well. I'm reading other threads about what's a good muskeg tire, and it looks like I have a lot of options.
    I ran 28" mud lites on my HDX and they worked great, they are light also. The 700 is a good motor, it will definitely last for ya!

Any clutch or lift mods required for 28" tires? Mostly just trail riding but some parts of the trail is looking like a mud bog.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I ran a Cat Mud Pro a couple weeks ago with Maxxis Zillas on it and I was very impressed. The ride was not rough at low trail speeds and the tires cleaned out very nicely. Another rig I rode had ITP mud lite XTRs on it and I was not impressed with them. They seemed to just dig a hole in the soft stuff and not get ya anywhere. I've had the regular mud lites on an old Honda Forman and they rotted out on me in about 5-6yrs. Big cracks right next to and in between the lugs.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Thanks, I've seen good reviews on the Zillas. I understand they are not mud specific tires but are capable in the mud.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

We have a 2013 Arctic Cat Prowler 700 HDX and it has been a good machine for us. The first thing that I did was to replace the tires with Black Water Evolution 27" ones. They have a good tread and are 8 ply side wall. I felt that I wanted/needed the extra protection on the side walls. Also installed a Warn 4500 lb winch, windshield, soft top & doors, gun rack, heater kit and extra tie downs in the bed. Not only has this machine done its job hunting by hauling out caribou and moose, but also several cords of fire wood. I have been surprised where it has ben able to go and how well it handles. Have other friends that have purchased Prowlers after riding in ours.
    I am sure that there are some out there that have not had good luck with their machines but is can happen to any brand.

Hey all, happy New Year!

I picked up the Prowler last week from the shop and it now has some spanky looking tracks on it. Will post a picture as soon as I get it out in the snow.

I talked to someone who suggested I look into a snorkel for the CVT in/out and the engine intake. Anyone have experience with adding a snorkel to a SxS? Overkill or good idea?

Hey all, happy New Year!

I picked up the Prowler last week from the shop and it now has some spanky looking tracks on it. Will post a picture as soon as I get it out in the snow.

I talked to someone who suggested I look into a snorkel for the CVT in/out and the engine intake. Anyone have experience with adding a snorkel to a SxS? Overkill or good idea?
    that sounds like an awesome set up- congratulations. I don’t have any snorkels on my tides but know some folks that do. If you are going deep or prolonged times- it sure makes sense. Looking forward to pictures. Stay safe.

I don't think its over kill. Nice to have when you need them.

I bought a used 800 RZR that came with snorkels made from 3in ABS tubes, rubber flex joints and hose clamps. The tubes clamp to the back of the roll cage bar with the inlets about head height when sitting in it. Might be cheaper way for you to go than getting a purpose built kit. Do ensure all your connections are water tight and check them regularly. I'd post a pic but the machine is currently tore down for engine rebuild (sucked a rod).
    -Tim