Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Kenai River Dipnetting Reports

"Anyone else noticing that the in-river numbers thus far are about half the average in the last ten years?

Too much commercial pressure or are there just fewer fish overall?"

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/158104-status-of-the-sockeye-run

Caution, the mud's pretty deep in this one...
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Thanks for the link. I think. That is a pretty murky thread to wade through....

Went yesterday (7/19) left late and only picked up 9 total for 2 nets.
    Got a new game plan today (7/20)left earlier and picked up 76 fish with 3 nets in ~8 hours.
    Lost a bunch of fish also.
    My buddy lost 3 nice kings. One even made a hole in his brand new web.
    Fortunately I had brought my mending needle and twine and we had it fixed in short order.
    Today was a commercial opener while yesterday was not.
    Darn those commercial nets.lol
    I swear over the years my best days are those when the commercial nets are out.
    Lots of crazy boaters out there who don't know what they're doing.
    Fortunately we had an experienced captain driving who kept us out of trouble while not cussing to much at the yahoos.
    Overall it seems we did above average as usual from what we saw and talking to others.
    It sure is nice having friends who own a boat and know this fishery well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Way to go Chris!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Living there and having use of a boat certainly increase your opportunity to catch fish. Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Living there and having use of a boat certainly increase your opportunity to catch fish. Nicely done.
    I own or have access to a bunch of boats.
    But in this case what I did was quite simple.
    The owner of this boat is unemployed right now(a long story there) and his brother whom he lives with is disabled and on SSI.
    They were going to go beach dipping because it's cheaper.
    I offered to pay gas and launch fees in exchange for the trips.
    This was a win win for all of us. Plus I feel good helping some friends in need.
    I did bring a couple of my Mike's welding dipnets though as they are the best.
    They bought this boat several years ago brand new but damaged in shipping so it was cheap.
    Fixed it up with some scrap aluminum pieces and some welding as one brother is a former oilfield welder. Then they got a deal on a nearly new outboard and made payments on a trailer.
    They really don't have a ton invested and it's all paid for.
    For an 18' boat it has had a lot of salmon and halibut in it.
    If you want to dip by boat ask around you may talk your way onto one for a little gas or launch fee money.

This my buddy catch from last night. Going be a long day at work today. Can't wait to get on river tomorrow.
    There are no commercial boats out a less there's an EO today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Supposed to blow SW 20 tonight. They keep overpredicting the wind, IMO, but we'll see. If it does blow it should be good for dipping tonight/tomorrow am.

Supporting Member

Two nets, dipped from 6 am until 4 pm yesterday (21st) for 22 reds and one King. Lots of boats dipping, but did not see a lot of "catching" going on. Weird, considering there was no commercial opener on Friday.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Two nets, dipped from 6 am until 4 pm yesterday (21st) for 22 reds and one King. Lots of boats dipping, but did not see a lot of "catching" going on. Weird, considering there was no commercial opener on Friday.
    Not saying this is the case at all, I don't even know you, but I got a chuckle out of your photo of your buddy's blacked out face, and his catch. Reminds me of a friend who used to do this when he was "sick" and had to miss a day or so of work, but couldn't help but crow to his friends with picture or three, always with his face blacked out. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    This my buddy catch from last night. Going be a long day at work today. Can't wait to get on river tomorrow.

There are no commercial boats o

Not saying this is the case at all, I don't even know you, but I got a chuckle out of your photo of your buddy's blacked out face, and his catch. Reminds me of a friend who used to do this when he was "sick" and had to miss a day or so of work, but couldn't help but crow to his friends with picture or three, always with his face blacked out. LOL

Great day dipping started at 7am fish hard till 5pm. Ended with a 50 reds and a sunburn!

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

. Some people have no business boating

Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    . Some people have no business boating

For sure.
    That's why we have an experienced driver who's only job is driving the boat.
    It is crazy out there and lots of boats and/or boat operators that don't belong.
    I heard in this boat sinking they got a mooring buoy line in their prop and it somehow managed to end up in a flipped boat
    The people were rescued safely.
    This according to my neighbor John here in Soldotna.

Warning from the Kenai Dipnet to get off the beaches tonight. 4:30AM extremely high tide could flood you.

To many fail to pay attention to their surroundings and blantantly cut in and out of the crowd ignoring everyone else. I had a few guys last week doing figure 's' in and out of pack disrupting the flow (they never caught a fish either). I was almost hit twice; one guy cussed me out for not 'paying attention' to him after almost running into me many times refusing to go with the flow. I have a inboard jet and can control my boat better than many of these guys with outboard props. High tide seems to be the worst which is why I primarly fish low tide. IMO the worst part is loading and unloading at the dock - its ridiculous and always has been. Never seen so many people not able to back a trailer into the water or load a boat on the trailer.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

These photos of fish in the bottom of boats or spread out on the grass just make me cringe. Get those dang fish on ice, people. You're ruining the quality of the meat by letting the fish get any warmer than the temperature of the water they came out of.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We laid ours out for a picture then we put them in the shade and sprayed them with cold water periodically as we were filleting them.
    The fillets were bagged and iced in a cooler right after filleting.
    Mine were canned or smoked within 24 hours.
    Sorry but it just wasn't feasible to keep several coolers of ice in the boat.
    I suppose we could have but then we would have had to stop halfway through our dipping time to offload somehow and get more ice and more coolers.
    They canned and smoked just fine for my tastebuds.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Put a little bit of ice in the cooler, a pinch of salt, and then about 6 inches of water. The $100 Home Depot coolers are best cause the handles are molded in and can't rip off, and a soda bottle cap will work if you lose the plug.

Catch fish, rip gill, stuff in cooler. They bleed out like champs and instantly go rigor in the salt brine. The brine makes fish neutrally buoyant so they don't get bent or compressed over each other if you pack it full.

Let em warm up a bit before you fillet them. Shouldn't fillet rigored or frozen meat. You can lay them out on the lawn and get lots of hero shots while that's happening.

Only downside is when the cooler gets too heavy and you gotta empty it a bit (or if your plug leaks) that blood salt brine makes the truck/boat/SUV smell like mobile death for a few months or until you wash it...

Watching the North Beach web cam and the few folks dipping are doing really well. 4:00 pm.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast