Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2017 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    Dave,
    ADF&G has been closing the PU fishery during in the early days of the week(s) this season.
    The Chitina PU fishery was/is closed from 11:59pm Sunday (7/30) until 5pm Wednesday (8/2).
    Maybe the Subsistance one was also, but, I don't participate in that fishery, so, I don't track it?
    Did not check the openings, just wanted to show off Chitna to my granddaughter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I went up to the Copper yesterday to show the granddaughter the fish wheels. No one was dipping at the bridge, boat or shore. No one was running a fish wheel at all. I did not go to Obrien Creek as I had a 2WD rental.
    FYI
    I realize you had a rental, however the road in/out of Obrien is ok w 2wd. Its just the last 100 yds is a bit steep, but have seen people drive out in most any rig.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

No gravel roads in the rental. McCarthy, Haul, Denali, Top of The World..... they have people watching everywhere.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Fished Friday night and all day yesterday off the rocks. Between two of us we got 22. Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I'm now finally legal again for a PU fishery, fished Thursday from a boat with gillnets. "Powerdrifting" over a couple of holes. 4 nets, circa 150 fish in 4 hours. Fish were really grouped up (i.e. everyone getting fish for 10 minutes, often doubles, then dead for 20 mins then active again).
    Back in AK

Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    Since I'm now finally legal again for a PU fishery, fished Thursday from a boat with gillnets. "Powerdrifting" over a couple of holes. 4 nets, circa 150 fish in 4 hours. Fish were really grouped up (i.e. everyone getting fish for 10 minutes, often doubles, then dead for 20 mins then active again).
    What part of the river can you use a gillnet on?

Its ok to use gill nets, as long as its a bag type net.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by CapnMike View Post
    What part of the river can you use a gillnet on?
    I'm assuming he didn't mean a setnet...

Gill net is used on the hoops just like in the Kenai. I personally prefer a smaller mesh because it's 100 times easier to get fish out of the net quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I'm assuming he didn't mean a setnet...

Gill net is used on the hoops just like in the Kenai. I personally prefer a smaller mesh because it's 100 times easier to get fish out of the net quickly.
    Nope, not a setnet or drift net, just a standard dipnet that is legal as long as it meets the other requirements for size, etc. I prefer almost anything to a gill net (assuming one is getting fish) but that's what the guy who provided the boat had and I didn't want to fart around with taking my net(s) to and from Los Anchorage.
    Back in AK

Where's Gr8ful this year? Or brotherfrance? Haven't heard much out of you boys,... low numbers got yuh down? Or did you pull your limits early

Default regs

Just ran across this: statewide regs for PU & subsistence fishing:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...istence_pu.pdf
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Anybody been to chitina lately I need more fish thinking about going next week ... my smoker and my canner are lonely ... and feeling neglected... I need to take a trip to Kennecott... I have some property there I may be selling

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    Anybody been to chitina lately I need more fish thinking about going next week ... my smoker and my canner are lonely ... and feeling neglected... I need to take a trip to Kennecott... I have some property there I may be selling
    Haven't been there, but if you go let us know how it is. Should be some Silvers... that'd be fun!

i havnt heard anything either. If you do go im curious to hear about the trails repairs they promised at the end of the season....
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

My plan is to go next Tuesday or Wednesday figure if I could catch one fish I can have a good camping trip but it's pretty late... I will be having fish for dinner in chitina... every fishing trip I've ever been on I have fish for dinner... it really hurts when I have to dig out that can of tuna fish from the bottom of the food box

Have any info on that property you spoke about?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678