Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

What's going on how come almost nobody posts anything on dipping reports... three four five years ago people posted all kinds of info.... are there other sites where people are posting and reading... I think I'm going Sunday for 3 days or so ..I used to post from chitina but it's probably just a waste of my time... it's too bad it used to be enjoyable to read other people's stories and get information

Default 2017 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

I will have detailed reports starting this weekend! I'll be on the upper river in subsistence district.
    From what I been fishing has been slow. But there are fish being netted.

He a pic of Mark given some king salmon Love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Yeah, I'm wondering about the lack of info, too. I know not many people have been fishing PU yet, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm also heading there Sunday for a couple of days. Going out Monday on the charter above the bridge. I'll post results as soon as I can get a good enough signal.

Season just opened and cell service is not very good down there. Give it a few more days and I'm sure more reports will be coming in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Hem posted a report on the 7th on his facebook page. haven't seen any other reports though.

So far for the opener for about 12 hours of fishing our customers are averaging 10 to 15 fish per permit. There hasn't been an overwhelming number of people here yet which is good because the river is so low spots are limited. If you can be prepared to sweep with a 10 to 12 foot Dip Net your options will be improved because back eddys are very limited. According to Alaska Department of Fish and Game sonar counter there should be a lot of fish showing up any day. Expect large crowds this weekend bring patience and be prepared to wait. We will do our best to take care of you.

Report from Hem about an hour ago (via his facebook page)

Yesterday Thursday during the day fishing for the most part was very slow overnighters last night did the best so far this year. And it appears so far this morning it is going to be very slow today. Our overnight line for​ Friday night is pretty much already full mostly because spots are still so limited. If you're prepared for something a little more extreme and willing to work a little harder like sweeping you may have better odds. Saturday morning line already has two groups in it and will probably be full by late today early this evening. Very warm yesterday and hot and sunny today which will continue to bring the river up hopefully not too fast. Fishing could be pretty good through mid-week next week

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    Report from Hem about an hour ago (via his facebook page)
    What's the Facebook page? I tried to find it but couldn't for some reason.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it. No "s" on Hem....

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    What's the Facebook page? I tried to find it but couldn't for some reason.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just found it. No "s" on Hem....

https://www.facebook.com/Hem-Charters-1309561515738537/

A buddy of mine caught 20+ in about 20 hours on the water. He was above the bridge drifting. Said it was slow, but maybe picking up now. He did best late in the evening.

Three of us did the Hem charter overnight on the 8th and caught 62 total. The water rose about a foot while we were out there.

Slow slow slow
    We got 2 kings and 3 reds Saturday, zero today,

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Be aware there is zero camp spots/parking on the north side of the bridge.

South side the water has come up cutting off parking on the island

Even on a Sunday night the downstream camping area is pretty packed...

O'Brien Creek has lots of room yet, though.

Dipped about 5 hours on Saturday. Caught three reds. The last one had a tail so shredded, presumably by another critter, that I have no clue how she made it as far up-river as she did.. True dedication to her trek. There was zero need to clip her tail fins, as they nearly didn't exist at all.

None the less, with the exception of the outrageous wind and silt storm Friday night and Saturday morning, and despite Tok Thai Food being out of fresh spring rolls for the second day in a row, it was an excellent day.

A few well constructed fresh spring rolls always help to make up for a less productive dippin' trip.. But alas, it was not to be.

The wind storm that started Saturday after noon was fun to say the least.

The Friday night blow left silt so thick in my and my son's eyes when we woke up Saturday morning that we both checked to see if it was pink-eye. The scratchiness was THAT intense. It coated everything inside our fairly decent tent, and had me concerned about the amount of time I ran the truck's motor. FAA's folks cancel aircraft traffic near volcanic eruptions for a reason, and the thought of my rod and main bearings grinding up that fine particulate matter had me cringing.

A few years ago, when my daughter and I were fishing on the beach opposite O'Brien Creek, across the River, the airborne silt and sand destroyed a digital camera within about 2 hours... Expensive lesson. Good quality sealed bags for transport are invaluable in that place.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    The wind storm that started Saturday after noon was fun to say the least.

I dipped Fri evening into Sat morning and got 14 in about 5-6 hours, friends got 8 in same time frame and that was the last fish 4 of us caught. Stayed away Saturday during the wind blasting. Out Sunday morning for 2 hours and zero between 2 nets. Saw 3 caught. Intel from others was about 1/hour. That was dipping just below the bridge. Thursday the flood plain was dry, water started rising Fri. F&G changed rules about driving through flowing water of the Cooper River on Sat, now allow vehicles less than 1500lbs., e.g. ATVs. We were able to drive atvs out to river edge below confluence of Copper and Chilitina River. We walked the water to scout best route.

Brutal above the bridge today. 5 reds and 2 Kings. At least the weather was comfortable.

Just back from a pretty successful trip. Fished Sun 3p until midnight with a partner and we caught 55 reds and 1 king (which I sadly had to release on PU..)...about 6 per hour, which seems very good after reading some other reports. Fished farther down than I usually do- 7.33ish, between the tunnels.

It wasn't crowded but windy, silty and unusually cold. Bright side- bug free night of fishing. Did have a bear cruise through the woods, but no trouble out of him. Many of the creeks and small watercourses are bone dry, Eskilida Cr. didn't have a drop of water.

Trail seems in much better shape compared to the last few years- so much so I have to wonder is ADFG did some work on it. Some new restrooms this year as well.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast